ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Bassett

No idea. But I'm sure the social media posts everywhere by the Bassetts on that situation plus bragging about all the transfers made the decision to file a complaint easier.

To me, the out of state transfers are a giant red flag. Hard to believe you are going to move into an area as economically depressed as Johnstown when many are trying to get out. Then claim it's for academic reasons. No private schools were doing in person learning in whatever state they came from?
The out of state transfers are a giant red herring. They may have triggered an emotional anti-McCort response, but PIAA rules do not dictate where out of state transfers may or must attend school.

They were already planning to move to McCort before the King of the Mountain incident, when all were enrolled at Forest Hills and Bassett was FH Jr High coach?

I guess it's possible -- IIRC the McCort head coach had already announced his resignation -- but then why hasn't this gotten out until now?
Everything has been out for a long time. District 6's decision is only recent. If anybody believes the timing of the district's decision wasn't intentional I have some really cheap ocean front property in Montana to sell you.

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
Bottom line if a school can have kids tranfer in when they dont live in that schools district /student body area is then it shouldn’t be allowed in piaa. If they want to do that go prep. As a long time HS wrestling fan, i see how it takes away from the district/regional/ state tournaments, when you have these schools recruiting.

The out of state transfers are a giant red herring. They may have triggered an emotional anti-McCort response, but PIAA rules do not dictate where out of state transfers may or must attend school.
Good point, guess out of state transfers are treated differently than in state.

Bottom line if a school can have kids tranfer in when they dont live in that schools district /student body area is then it shouldn’t be allowed in piaa. If they want to do that go prep. As a long time HS wrestling fan, i see how it takes away from the district/regional/ state tournaments, when you have these schools recruiting.

Catholic schools don’t have “districts” do they?

But to that point, is there anything stopping McCort from going to National Preps?

Everything has been out for a long time. District 6's decision is only recent. If anybody believes the timing of the district's decision wasn't intentional I have some really cheap ocean front property in Montana to sell you.
What's the reason for the timing?

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't some of the out of staters enroll at FH initially? I know that some in state kids transferred first to FH and then to McCort, but could be wrong about ones from other states. They may have been living here and attending cyber school during the pandemic.

Right b4 the season makes it that much more difficult for other plans that would benefit the kids to be implemented. The next time a Pennsylvania kid's athletic association makes a decision based upon what is best for the kid it will be a shocking first.

Right b4 the season makes it that much more difficult for other plans that would benefit the kids to be implemented. The next time a Pennsylvania kid's athletic association makes a decision based upon what is best for the kid it will be a shocking first.
When exactly should it be done? The motion can't be filed until the kids show up for school at McCort.

If the decision to go to Bishop McCort was truly for academic or social purposes, timing shouldn’t matter.

This is fascinating to follow. I find some of the irony of the situation off the charts.
1. Since catholic schools do not have attendance boundaries, how else are they supposed to get any students other than to recruit? I’m sure BeCaHi and Pittsburgh Central Catholic have never recruited anyone…ever.
2. If the catholic school/recruiting integrity is of such importance to the PIAA, then why are they mixed in with the public schools?
3. Punishing kids in these circumstances is completely counter to the stated mission of the PIAA.
4. It sucks when adults get into a biggest balls contest to ruin things for kids, now District 6 and PIAA are part of it.
5. During the pandemic kids all over the country were transferring to private schools to be in person rather than virtual. Why would that not apply in Johnstown, PA as well? Not to mention the family connections involved.
6. I’m 100% sure that The Bassett’s, Miller’s & others involved have rubbed quite a few people the wrong way over the years. Karma? Or Vindictive? Either way it seems like a big time hard-on for payback.
There are a ton of interesting spins on this, I appreciate all posting their points of view. It will be interesting what the final outcome is. I’m thinking National Prep route?

Last edited:
If the decision to go to Bishop McCort was truly for academic or social purposes, timing shouldn’t matter.
I am uncertain what the PIAA or District 6 have to do with academic considerations, other than presenting conversation fodder. District 6 did not make an academic decision. They made an athletic decision, and their athletic decision was made at a very inconvenient time for the athletes they decided to athletically punish.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
They didn't just show up on Halloween.
Well, yeah, no kidding. That doesn't answer the question.

PIAA Districts don't meet weekly. Probably monthly at most. So while this hearing theoretically could've been held in October, realistically the was the most likely timing.

That is, unless McCort requested an expedited hearing. No indication that they did.

This is on McCort. If you're going to play the game -- which clearly they chose to -- then you have to know the rules of the game. That includes all of the processes and timings. The impact on the kids is unfortunate, and also a product of McCort's decisions.

Reactions: jpsolo
Well, yeah, no kidding. That doesn't answer the question.

PIAA Districts don't meet weekly. Probably monthly at most. So while this hearing theoretically could've been held in October, realistically the was the most likely timing.

That is, unless McCort requested an expedited hearing. No indication that they did.

This is on McCort. If you're going to play the game -- which clearly they chose to -- then you have to know the rules of the game. That includes all of the processes and timings. The impact on the kids is unfortunate, and also a product of McCort's decisions.
Sounds good, but if this had been about baseball the decision would have been announced March or April.

If your meeting is business as usual, your monthly meeting is OK. If you are going to announce a kid smackdown, a special meeting in September would not have been out of line.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I am uncertain what the PIAA or District 6 have to do with academic considerations, other than presenting conversation fodder. District 6 did not make an academic decision. They made an athletic decision, and their athletic decision was made at a very inconvenient time for the athletes they decided to athletically punish.
The District 6 Committee is tasked to make athletic decisions, not academic unless it relates to athletic eligibility.

In this situation, the D6 Committee made a ruling that the transfers occurred for athletic purposes. Without having the opportunity to listen to the hearing, one could assume that recruiting for athletic intent occurred These are violations of the PIAA bylaws.

As I posted on the other site, I feel bad for the wrestlers. However, there are adults who should have provided better guidance.

Last edited:
They are gonna seduce every college coach to believe they are in love with their great University. Cael should be mindful of letting them in the NLWC room so often. I see another Spencer Lee job coming. If I was Cael I would request they simply stop posting pix of their workouts at Rec Hall and who they worked out with. They can post their breakfast or what they did elsewhere that day.

How are front row seats not considered recruiting even if ponied up by a booster?

Yeah I get it, he just happened to be in town working out during tOSUs biggest home game, and Someone just felt generous enough to give a middle school, likely to be #1 recruit in the nation kid, front row seats that would probably go for over $1000 each. I am surprised Bouzakis and Mendez weren't sitting with him.

Did we do the same?

In any case we've got 4 more years of the red carpet treatment to witness everywhere he goes.

Last edited:
The District 6 Committee is tasked to make athletic decisions, not academic unless it relates to athletic eligibility.

In this situation, the D6 Committee made a ruling that the transfers occurred for athletic purposes. Without having the opportunity to listen to the hearing, one could assume that recruiting for athletic intent occurred These are violations of the PIAA bylaws.

As I posted on the other site, I feel bad for the wrestlers. However, there are adults who should have provided better guidance.
Also the District 6 meeting minutes are posted online. The coach was caught recruiting and was punished. I was MCorts 2nd recruiting violation in the past 5 years.

This is fascinating to follow. I find some of the irony of the situation off the charts.
1. Since catholic schools do not have attendance boundaries, how else are they supposed to get any students other than to recruit? I’m sure BeCaHi and Pittsburgh Central Catholic have never recruited anyone…ever.
2. If the catholic school/recruiting integrity is of such importance to the PIAA, then why are they mixed in with the public schools?
3. Punishing kids in these circumstances is completely counter to the stated mission of the PIAA.
4. It sucks when adults get into a biggest balls contest to ruin things for kids, now District 6 and PIAA are part of it.
5. During the pandemic kids all over the country were transferring to private schools to be in person rather than virtual. Why would that not apply in Johnstown, PA as well? Not to mention the family connections involved.
6. I’m 100% sure that The Bassett’s, Miller’s & others involved have rubbed quite a few people the wrong way over the years. Karma? Or Vindictive? Either way it seems like a big time hard-on for payback.
There are a ton of interesting spins on this, I appreciate all posting their points of view. It will be interesting what the final outcome is. I’m thinking National Prep route?
THINK AGAIN WASTE ERIE PREP RECRUITS FROM ALL OVER!!

giphy.gif

This is gonna be a fun thread to watch for the next 4 years, especially if it becomes a Top 10 all timer here. Not so much if he doesn't choose PSU, or peaks early.
I hope for even greater things from Bo and hope he does them at PSU but I'm really starting to cringe everytime I see them post their 5 am workouts on twitter. It all has a "Todd Marinovich" type feel to it.

I hope for even greater things from Bo and hope he does them at PSU but I'm really starting to cringe everytime I see them post their 5 am workouts on twitter. It all has a "Todd Marinovich" type feel to it.
I had friends attending USC at that time. First week of school, they saw him carrying pizza and beer to his apartment every day. Around campus he was known as Marijuanavich.

That dude had some serious issues.

I had friends attending USC at that time. First week of school, they saw him carrying pizza and beer to his apartment every day. Around campus he was known as Marijuanavich.

That dude had some serious issues.
Yeah I watched a documentary years ago about him. I think when you have a parent that pushes a kid like his dad did to him his entire life, you're just asking for trouble. I think one of Caels biggest secrets to a successful coaching career isnt really a secret at all because he regularly preaches it for everyone to hear. That's having his wrestlers find "balance" in their lives.

Reactions: PSU Fan in TN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT