ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl guru Jerry Palm has potential 10-2 Penn State slotted in NY6 (Orange) versus Wake Forest

My son and I have done some experiments with this. Go to a mall in WV and count how many WVU shirts and hats you see….we would always see about 80-90% of the people wearing something. We do the same when we go the mall in Lexington KY….again, about 80-90% of the people wearing UK stuff. When we go to a mall in PA, we see maybe 20-30% of the people in PSU gear. There is much more diversity of school fandom in PA than many other states where the kids grow up as fans and want to play for the “home” school.
West Virginia is another good example (thanks!) although they don't have enough home grown talent to make a difference.

Penn State went and hired the best young coach that was out there before he got settled in at his starting point.
Certainly, but why is he such a successful coach? What are his innovations? What does he emphasize? What tactics does he employ in practice? In recruiting? Remember - he took on the titan of college wrestling, Iowa, who ruled that world for most of the 20-25 years prior to 2010. And within a couple years, overtook them to become indisputably the best program in the sport. Now, football being a far larger world, obviously it would take longer to have that kind of success. But, there must be something there that the football program could use. We need to stop thinking PSU Football is a “blue blood”, because a few more seasons like the last few, and blue blood turns into has-been. Outside the box thinking and acting can only help. This might be one way. I’m sure there are others, and smarter people than I should be thinking of them.

I only want the best for my alma mater.

Very odd. Success compounds it, but at Penn State's peak runs, have we had our pick of every kid in the state? Philly kids seem to be interested in traveling. Catholic school kids bite on the ND fish hook. Pittsburgh kids are just as likely to go elsewhere than SC. Just not a prevalent in state loyalty to Penn State it seems. At least, not to the degree of Buckeye mania.

Blame the Eagles and Steelers?
I wouldn’t blame the Eagles and Steelers specifically but I think you’re close on the cause. This state has been fractured down regional lines forever. It basically Philly region vs Pittsburgh region vs the rest of the state who think they get ignored for the 2 cities.

Look at the state funding- it’s not just Penn State. Western PA reps demanded Pitt get funding too. Then Philly reps wanted Temple and Lincoln to get a cut.

This fractured approach continues with the Philly vs Pittsburgh rivalry in most pro sports. Then you throw in the major colleges in PA- Penn St, Pitt, Temple, Villanova, Penn, Drexel, LaSalle, etc. Clearly all aren’t football powers, but they have their own niche.

The Philly area is all big 5. Pittsburgh is focused on Pitt and WVU to a lesser extent. Penn State reaches the whole state but are often seen as an ‘outsider’ (to a degree) in the Philly and Pittsburgh regions. Notre Dame has some reach especially in the coal region and northeast. In Ohio, all you have is Ohio St.

Last edited:
Reactions: lazydave841
Where is there any hope that the OL and DL are improving? Especially the OL.

When anyone talks about whether we are young (Allar, RBs, WR), I only want to think about the OL.

With a good OL, you can make do with adequate RBs, WRs.

Without a good OL, you get exactly what we have become - a team that beats the weak sisters of the Big 10, but is not competitive against OSU and Michigan.

See link below. He's assuming we lose to Ohio State and win out after that.

In fact, various other "experts" also have a 10-2 Penn State (if that happens) in an NY6 bowl -- either Orange or Cotton.

We're a huge television draw and bowl attraction...probably in the top-5 in those categories in college football.

Meanwhile, nobody expects us to beat the Bucks, so there's not a lot of pressure. Just play a competitive game...and then take care of business for the remainder of the schedule.

Don't get me wrong. I think we have a chance to win on Saturday...even if it's a long shot.

In any case, back in August almost nobody predicted we'd be in this position entering the last weekend in October. And keep in mind this is a young team whose best days are ahead.

I think 10-2 and an easily winnable bowl game sets the stage for next season.

Reactions: KCLion
I think a lot of the issue is the “brand” has been damaged by the media & BoT. Paterno used to regularly go into Ohio and pick who he wanted. Ki-Jana, Enis, Clark, Jurevicious, Hartings, oJ McDuffie, et al. He personally annexed New Jersey for 3 decades. Allar is an exception and most of the best NJ kids now go south. If that trend can change back, even a little, it will make a huge difference in reestablishing the dominant school in the mid Atlantic region as Penn State. It will feed itself.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
UPDATE: Even after the loss to Ohio State, which was predicted and figured into his equation, Palm still has us going to the NY6 Orange Bowl.

Slight detail: we actually have to win the last four games.

Right--he's been projecting us at 10-2 all year long
Same reason he sadly has Wake still playing against us after they were embarrassed against a bad team this weekend. UNC/Wake are likely playing for the Orange smh

I know it’s a long shot but there’s still a chance for the Rose bowl. If Michigan and OSU both play a close game while undefeated and the winner wins the big ten championship game there’s a chance they both make the playoffs like the SEC last year. Of course a couple other things have to happen in other conferences but that’s not a stretch. Oh…and PSU has to win out. But if they do they will have the best record of the remaining teams in the Big Ten once OSU & UM head to the playoffs.

Reactions: 1AA
I know it’s a long shot but there’s still a chance for the Rose bowl. If Michigan and OSU both play a close game while undefeated and the winner wins the big ten championship game there’s a chance they both make the playoffs like the SEC last year. Of course a couple other things have to happen in other conferences but that’s not a stretch. Oh…and PSU has to win out. But if they do they will have the best record of the remaining teams in the Big Ten once OSU & UM head to the playoffs.
And here are the "other things" that must happen.
1. Illinois loses both to Michigan and the title game by blowout.
2. Someone beats Clemson.
3. Someone beats TCU.
4 and this is the hardest one: Franklin doesn't choke away 1 of the remaining 4...because every season other than 2017, he loses one he should win.

Reactions: 1AA
After they picked Wisconsin a couple years ago over us, I'd say it's Illinois' (presumably so, if they win out/enough to make ccg) going in regardless of us at 10-2.
Agreed--Illinois would have to at least lose another game then get destroyed by either Ohio State/Michigan

Reactions: lazydave841
Right--he's been projecting us at 10-2 all year long
Same reason he sadly has Wake still playing against us after they were embarrassed against a bad team this weekend. UNC/Wake are likely playing for the Orange smh
Unc, duke, Syracuse, nc state. I’m doubting wake wins out.

Reactions: LandoComando
Agreed--Illinois would have to at least lose another game then get destroyed by either Ohio State/Michigan

Illinois will be an underdog at Michigan on November 19...and assuming they make it to the conference championship, an underdog against either Ohio State or Michigan there. Meanwhile, their November 12 game against Purdue is no gimme either. Illinois has their work cut out for them.

Illinois will be an underdog at Michigan on November 19...and assuming they make it to the conference championship, an underdog against either Ohio State or Michigan there. Meanwhile, their November 12 game against Purdue is no gimme either. Illinois has their work cut out for them.
I'm still not convinced Purdue is even decent. That loss to Wisconsin was brutal and they barely escaped Nebraska. Syracuse is also being exposed as trash.

So it would come down to if the Rose is going to take the West champ with 3 losses or the 3rd team in the East with 2. Tough to say

I'm still not convinced Purdue is even decent. That loss to Wisconsin was brutal and they barely escaped Nebraska. Syracuse is also being exposed as trash.

So it would come down to if the Rose is going to take the West champ with 3 losses or the 3rd team in the East with 2. Tough to say

Honestly, I'd be pleased as punch with the Orange. But there's the small matter of winning four games first.

Honestly, I'd be pleased as punch with the Orange. But there's the small matter of winning four games first.
I care about winning the next four--not concerned with the bowl game but 10-2 is a step in the right direction. Anything less...

This works but its even better if they lose to Michigan and Purdue and Purdue wins the west before losing the title game.

You also probably need OSU and Michigan to play a close game.

LSU upsetting Bama and UT dropping two games to UGA (this weekend and the SECCG )could also cost the SEC two teams. UGA dropping two to UT works as well.

This works but its even better if they lose to Michigan and Purdue and Purdue wins the west before losing the title game.

You also probably need OSU and Michigan to play a close game.

LSU upsetting Bama and UT dropping two games to UGA (this weekend and the SECCG )could also cost the SEC two teams.
Wait--are you saying Tennessee needs to lose to Georgia twice? They can't play in the title game.

Would be a real letdown for the players. Work hard and achieve a 10 - 2 record only to play against an ACC bottom feeder.
Worse yet we could lose to a bottom feeder if several key starters opt out of the game.

I guess it would depend on how many televisions the Rose Bowl people want turned on at 5 pm, Jan.2

2. Someone beats Clemson.
3. Someone beats TCU.
4 and this is the hardest one: Franklin doesn't choke away 1 of the remaining 4...because every season other than 2017, he loses one he should win.
Clemson is the wild card in this.

We wouldn't have add more viewers when they went with Wisconsin?
And do you think it should come down to that? If it does--isn't that proof the bowls are a joke?
Agree, but Wisconsin was the darling for a little while and you can always find outliers. Yes, the bowls are generally a joke - the push for a playoff shows that. It usually does come down to eyes/best tv matchups. Penn State is a much larger TV than Illinois. Wake Forest vs Illinois? I doubt there is much interest outside of Winston-Salem, NC and Illinois.

Agree, but Wisconsin was the darling for a little while and you can always find outliers. Yes, the bowls are generally a joke - the push for a playoff shows that. It usually does come down to eyes/best tv matchups. Penn State is a much larger TV than Illinois. Wake Forest vs Illinois? I doubt there is much interest outside of Winston-Salem, NC and Illinois.
Oh--we were talking about the Rose Bowl. The Orange definitely take Penn State over Illinois but the Rose might take the Big Ten runner-up if Ohio State and Michigan are in the playoff. 100% the Orange takes us.

I guess it would depend on how many televisions the Rose Bowl people want turned on at 5 pm, Jan.2

Uncle Barry was blamed for Wisky getting the nod over us last time. He'd probably rather help his old pal Bret than us.

Besides, theoretically, you can send Illinois to the Rose if both OSU/Michigan make it to CFP (personally, I don't think that happens outside of sheer chaos) and we look good for Cotton/Orange making for 4 of the bigger checks out there possible for the conference.

Uncle Barry was blamed for Wisky getting the nod over us last time. He'd probably rather help his old pal Bret than us.

Besides, theoretically, you can send Illinois to the Rose if both OSU/Michigan make it to CFP (personally, I don't think that happens outside of sheer chaos) and we look good for Cotton/Orange making for 4 of the bigger checks out there possible for the conference.

You don't really need sheer chaos for this. Not saying its likely but only two things absolutely must happen, and they're plausible.

1) LSU needs to beat Bama.
2) Whoever wins the UT/Georgia game also needs to win the rematch in the SECCG.

Those two things happen and the SEC is sitting with one undefeated #1 seed and two 2 loss teams on the outside looking in. As long as the OSU/UM game isn't a blowout both are probably in in this scenario.

He had leverage because Wisconsin kept it close in the championship game. If Illinois can not keep it close he has no leverage.

Where is there any hope that the OL and DL are improving? Especially the OL.

When anyone talks about whether we are young (Allar, RBs, WR), I only want to think about the OL.

With a good OL, you can make do with adequate RBs, WRs.

Without a good OL, you get exactly what we have become - a team that beats the weak sisters of the Big 10, but is not competitive against OSU and Michigan.
Correct…little hope at all…and after we lose #74, look out!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT