ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl guru Jerry Palm now projects us to Citrus

Continue being a douche fraud-fan dipshit -- it's fine.
You also claimed I was leaving after the Michigan game
Not all fans are delusional or living in the past. Many of us comprehend today's football even if we wish it was different. You don't.

Neither Baylor or Washington had 2-losses going into the CCG...
Washington actually had 5 losses. The UW was Wisconsin, who did have 2 losses leading up to the CCG. Would have thought a PSU fan would be familiar with how that season played out.

As for Baylor, after losing the CCG, they had 2 losses. Their only win over a CFP committee ranked team was #25 Okie St. Yet, after they accrued that 2nd loss they did not fall below 2-loss PSU, who played more CFP ranked teams, more CFP ranked teams on the road, and beat more CFP ranked teams than Baylor.

While I agree LSU is overrated, that means squat to anyone with an eligible vote. We don’t know what they will do, you can’t make a definitive statement in either direction.

Palm's update this morning has the same four in the playoff mix as last week: Georgia, Ohio State, TCU, and Tennessee...in that order.

After yesterday's results, however, he's revised his NY6 projection for the Cotton and Sugar. Now he's got Washington-UCF in the Cotton and LSU-Kansas State in the Sugar.

Both are real snoozer matchups. I mean, 3-loss (at minimum) Kansas State? Gimme a break. And (currently) 24th-ranked Washington with two losses at least. Penn State would be a much more attractive matchup and also happens to be a better team than either Kansas State or Washington.

As for the Orange, where 247 is now projecting us, Palm is still going with Clemson-Alabama.

Personally, I think we still have a realistic shot at NY6. 10-2 and looking better by the week with a probable top-10 ranking plus one of the most popular television draws in college football. What bowl in their right mind is going to pass on that in favor of Kansas State or Washington?

Of course, none of this means a whole lot with so much football to be played, but it's fun to debate.

Reactions: bison13
While I agree LSU is overrated, that means squat to anyone with an eligible vote. We don’t know what they will do, you can’t make a definitive statement in either direction.
THIS
Palm's update this morning has the same four in the playoff mix as last week: Georgia, Ohio State, TCU, and Tennessee...in that order.

After yesterday's results, however, he's revised his NY6 projection for the Cotton and Sugar. Now he's got Washington-UCF in the Cotton and LSU-Kansas State in the Sugar.

Both are real snoozer matchups. I mean, 3-loss (at minimum) Kansas State? Gimme a break. And (currently) 24th-ranked Washington with two losses at least. Penn State would be a much more attractive matchup and also happens to be a better team than either Kansas State or Washington.

As for the Orange, where 247 is now projecting us, Palm is still going with Clemson-Alabama.

Personally, I think we still have a realistic shot at NY6. 10-2 and looking better by the week with a probable top-10 ranking plus one of the most popular television draws in college football. What bowl in their right mind is going to pass on that in favor of Kansas State or Washington?

Of course, none of this means a whole lot with so much football to be played, but it's fun to debate.
The Sugar can't select us over K-State. If TCU makes the playoff they must take another Big XII team.
I think we'd have a shot over Washington though for the Sugar in this scenario.
(Edit--thanks lazydave)

Last edited:
If by chance OSU and MI both make the invitational, we (assuming 10-2) have to be considered for the Rose, no?

Given yesterday’s results, the west winner is very likely to have 5 losses unless it’s the Gophers.

If by chance OSU and MI both make the invitational, ew have to be considered for the Rose, no?

Given yesterday’s results, the west winner is very likely to have 5 losses unless it’s the Gophers.
Yeah, we'd be a lock for the Rose now with Illinois losing yesterday

If by chance OSU and MI both make the invitational, we (assuming 10-2) have to be considered for the Rose, no?

Absolutely. In fact, I would think we'd be the favorite for the Rose in that scenario. For that to happen, however, we'd need Michigan to beat Ohio State in a close, competitive game. Most of the "experts" do not envision the Wolverines winning at the Shoe.

THIS

The Cotton can't select us over K-State. If TCU makes the playoff they must take another Big XII team.
I think we'd have a shot over Washington though for the Cotton in this scenario.

Yup, you're right about that. Scratch the Sugar. What a snoozer of a matchup that bowl may end up with.

Not if you go by their games vs PSU.

duhO$U played @PSU, while scUM played PSU at the Big Outhouse. The two are not remotely analogous or comparable. scUM has not beat duhO$U @TheShoe since 2000! I suppose that's something that shouldn't be considered???

duhO$U played @PSU, while scUM played PSU at the Big Outhouse. The two are not remotely analogous or comparable. scUM has not beat duhO$U @TheShoe since 2000! I suppose that's something that shouldn't be considered???
Of course home field advantage should be considered. But that's not the only thing to consider.

The most overrated rivalry since 2000. Michigan only beating them 3 times since 2000. Yet folks call Michigan elite lately

Reactions: john4psu

I don't want to play UCF in the Cotton. I don't want to be the team stuck playing the Group of 5 forced entrant who has 2 losses. Citrus vs Ole Miss ain't bad if we don't get Orange or Rose. I think the Rose only happens if Mich can beat O$U in a tight game along with other dominoes falling in place.

Reactions: psu00
I don't want to play UCF in the Cotton. I don't want to be the team stuck playing the Group of 5 forced entrant who has 2 losses. Citrus vs Ole Miss ain't bad if we don't get Orange or Rose. I think the Rose only happens if Mich can beat O$U in a tight game along with other dominoes falling in place.
Agreed Penn State goes to the Rose if...
Georgia wins out
Michigan beats Ohio State in a close game
TCU doesn't win out
USC is the only wildcard in that scenario

Actually Palm is now saying Cotton could go "either way"...Washington or Penn State.

So it looks like we have a potential path to three different NY6 bowls.

Honest question...
Would people rather play UCF in the Cotton or Ole Miss/LSU/Bama in the Citrus? Both games are played at 1pm on 1/2 so that's not a factor.

I so want to play Alabama in the Citrus Bowl. What a great old rivalry, and get a day at Disney. k

Honest question...
Would people rather play UCF in the Cotton or Ole Miss/LSU/Bama in the Citrus? Both games are played at 1pm on 1/2 so that's not a factor.

UCF in the Cotton. It's NY6, which in our current system carries the status of an elite bowl. Plus UCF would be the easier W...not that the game would be a gimme by any means.

Yeah, I know I'm supposed to want the more glamorous and challenging opponent, but I'll take an easier W any day over the glorious honor of playing an SEC team.

UCF in the Cotton. It's NY6, which in our current system carries the status of an elite bowl. Plus UCF would be the easier W...not that the game would be a gimme by any means.

Yeah, I know I'm supposed to want the more glamorous and challenging opponent, but I'll take an easier W any day over the glorious honor of playing an SEC team.
That's a fair take--what if we lose that game that? What does that do to us?

Honest question...

Cotton > Citrus

Easier win and there's nothing to gain playing the 4th or 5th best SEC school. Beat LSU and fans like you downplay the win because itll be their 4th loss of the season. Lose and Franklin couldn't even beat a 3 loss SEC team.

Honest question...
Unfortunately Citrus. Better opponent - higher chance of more of the starters actually participating, better weather, cheaper and more convenient flights.

They're still better than they were. Washington's a top 20 team.
There's 3-4 really good/elite teams this year. Oregon's in the second group. Which we are as well.
I agree and that's been my point. We don't need a 12 team playoff to determine a champion. Four is really plenty and in most years, more than enough. We need a 12 team playoff to make more money and to make more teams and conference relevant.

I agree and that's been my point. We don't need a 12 team playoff to determine a champion. Four is really plenty and in most years, more than enough. We need a 12 team playoff to make more money and to make more teams and conference relevant.
I like 8.

Disagree--with 10 conferences you need at least 16 likely 24. Any league that doesn't have a post season including all champs isn't legit

I like 8.
We just need to the shoot the dead horse that is the playoffs and go back to bowl system as it existed before the Bowl Alliance/Coalition put the first nail in college football's coffin. Yeah, it wasn't perfect but there was far less controversy on an annual basis (they got it right far more often than not which is a massive improvement compared to now) and the regular season was far better.

Unfortunately Citrus. Better opponent - higher chance of more of the starters actually participating, better weather, cheaper and more convenient flights.
I like the Citrus Bowl but we are going to see a significant number of holdouts (injury or otherwise) regardless. I don't think we'll see Brown, Porter, Mustipher and maybe Beamon and Ellis on D. Strange, Washington, Tinsley, Scruggs and Fashanu on Offense as well as those hitting the portal. Caeden Wallace, CV, Lee and a surprise transfer or two.

Absolutely. In fact, I would think we'd be the favorite for the Rose in that scenario. For that to happen, however, we'd need Michigan to beat Ohio State in a close, competitive game. Most of the "experts" do not envision the Wolverines winning at the Shoe.
I can certainly see Michigan winning at the shoe. Much more physical than TOSU, and their Back seven on Defense is good enough if the offense can score points and play keep away.

I can certainly see Michigan winning at the shoe. Much more physical than TOSU, and their Back seven on Defense is good enough if the offense can score points and play keep away.

Yup, no question Michigan has a shot. But Ohio State has dominated the series over the last 20 years, and Michigan has only beaten them once at the Shoe during that period. Ohio State is going to be favored in this game...I'd WAG it at, oh, 5-7 points.

Yup, no question Michigan has a shot. But Ohio State has dominated the series over the last 20 years, and Michigan has only beaten them once at the Shoe during that period. Ohio State is going to be favored in this game...I'd WAG it at, oh, 5-7 points.

Actually, you're incorrect - none of scUM's 3 wins over the last 20 meetings (which occurred over the last 21 years as they didn't play in the COVID year, 2020. Had they played, it would have been at The Shoe. Which is also why 11 of the last 20 were played at the Big Outhouse.). In any event, none of scUM's 3 wins over the last 20 meetings was @TheShoe - scUM is 0-9 @TheShoe over the last 20 games and 3-8 at the Big Outhouse. The last time scUM won @TheShoe was 2020 which is 22 years ago and 21 scUM-v-duhO$U games ago.

Complete nonsense, you can't compare Conference Champions records - it's nonsensical, and statistically incorrect, to say one Conference Champion's record playing a wholly different schedule is better, or even comparable, to another Conference Champion's record. Beyond that, one Conference could coincidentally have multiple teams that are better than another Conference's Champion (this is why Wild Card's are important to playoffs - the two best teams could reside in the same Conference).

Last edited:
Actually, you're incorrect - none of scUM's 3 wins over the last 20 meetings (which occurred over the last 21 years as they didn't play in the COVID year, 2020. Had they played, it would have been at The Shoe. Which is also why 11 of the last 20 were played at the Big Outhouse.). In any event, none of scUM's 3 wins over the last 20 meetings was @TheShoe - scUM is 0-9 @TheShoe over the last 20 games and 3-8 at the Big Outhouse. The last time scUM won @TheShoe was 2020 which is 22 years ago and 21 scUM-v-duhO$U games ago.

Right, well I was rounding it off at 20 years. 22 to be exact...

Disagree--with 10 conferences you need at least 16 likely 24. Any league that doesn't have a post season including all champs isn't legit
I would do a final 8 - conf champs and best at large. Top 4 get home games for round 1 and utilize traditional bowls after. It is best to simplify.

I would do a final 8 - conf champs and best at large. Top 4 get home games for round 1 and utilize traditional bowls after. It is best to simplify.
So this year you'd leave out a top 5 team with that. And why 7 conf champs with 10 conference. The bowls need to die off. This weekend the games are so meaningless that ESPN is doing Montana vs. Montana State for College Gameday. We have to stop pretending there aren't major issues with college football. A 12 team playoff starts to solve for it but is only step one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT