ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl guru Jerry Palm now projects us to Citrus

So this year you'd leave out a top 5 team with that. And why 7 conf champs with 10 conference. The bowls need to die off. This weekend the games are so meaningless that ESPN is doing Montana vs. Montana State for College Gameday. We have to stop pretending there aren't major issues with college football. A 12 team playoff starts to solve for it but is only step one.
The Power 5 conference champs and 3 highest ranked at larges. It retains the importance of the conferences and ensures the best teams are in the playoff.

The Power 5 conference champs and 3 highest ranked at larges. It retains the importance of the conferences and ensures the best teams are in the playoff.
Then why do the other conferences play in FBS?
If you want to split FBS into 2 level then maybe but not as it is
If we had a 24 team playoff this weekend would be absolutely amazing in college football. Instead there are a handful of games that matter and none are really expected to be close unless people think UCLA is still good

Then why do the other conferences play in FBS?
If you want to split FBS into 2 level then maybe but not as it is
If we had a 24 team playoff this weekend would be absolutely amazing in college football. Instead there are a handful of games that matter and none are really expected to be close unless people think UCLA is still good
How about the Power 5 conference champs, 2 Power 5 at large, and 1 Group of 5 champ. A 24 team playoff is a bit much and waters down the conferences.

How about the Power 5 conference champs, 2 Power 5 at large, and 1 Group of 5 champ. A 24 team playoff is a bit much and waters down the conferences.
It's okay--I understand what you're saying but I think copying FCS is the correct route. If there's going to be 10 conferences there needs to be 10 auto bids. 24 teams with home field in the playoffs until the title game would create a lot of southern teams coming north. It would also make so many more games meaning either for seeding or just to get a playoff spot.

I understand wanting 8 teams but I just feel like that's outdated. The same reason other sports keep expanding their playoff fields (money and increased interest) applies here as well. Just can't get to an NBA situation where everyone is in the playoffs for no reason

Yup, no question Michigan has a shot. But Ohio State has dominated the series over the last 20 years, and Michigan has only beaten them once at the Shoe during that period. Ohio State is going to be favored in this game...I'd WAG it at, oh, 5-7 points.
Mich will not beat O$U. The one time a year we want them to win they lose. In this case they could help our Rose Bowl chances but of course they will not.

Reactions: Jerry
It's okay--I understand what you're saying but I think copying FCS is the correct route. If there's going to be 10 conferences there needs to be 10 auto bids. 24 teams with home field in the playoffs until the title game would create a lot of southern teams coming north. It would also make so many more games meaning either for seeding or just to get a playoff spot.

I understand wanting 8 teams but I just feel like that's outdated. The same reason other sports keep expanding their playoff fields (money and increased interest) applies here as well. Just can't get to an NBA situation where everyone is in the playoffs for no reason

Easiest solution if you want to give all the G5 conferences a "shot" is some sort of play in game(s) scenario using the G5 champions. 24 will never happen.

(5) P5 Conf Champs
(1) Highest Rated G5 Champ
(2) Winners of 2 play in games between 4 lowest ranked G5 champs
(4) At Large

Gets you a 12(14) team playoff that gives all the conferences a chance with only two extra games. If you want to make the perception even "fairer" just make the play-in games the 4 lowest ranked Conference Champs regardless of P5 or G5 since it will almost always be the G5 schools.

Last edited:
Easiest solution if you want to give all the G5 conferences a "shot" is some sort of play in game(s) scenario using the G5 champions. 24 will never happen.
Why would there be a play-in games? People said 4 would never happen then said 12 would never happen. Unless FBS breaks into two leagues it will eventually happen. Might just be a while. It works great at the FCS level.

I honestly can't grasp why people would rather have the bowls than a large playoff systems. See March Madness or Men's Hockey (Frozen Four) or the College World Series. People love upsets and underdogs. I would have loved watching Penn State in 2016, 2017 and 2019--maybe even 2018. And this year as well.

Why would there be a play-in games? People said 4 would never happen then said 12 would never happen. Unless FBS breaks into two leagues it will eventually happen. Might just be a while. It works great at the FCS level.

I honestly can't grasp why people would rather have the bowls than a large playoff systems. See March Madness or Men's Hockey (Frozen Four) or the College World Series. People love upsets and underdogs. I would have loved watching Penn State in 2016, 2017 and 2019--maybe even 2018. And this year as well.

There would need to be play-in games to accommodate the inclusion of every G5 Champ because there aren't enough weekends in the year to have a 24 team playoff. A 12 team playoff is already 4 weeks. FCS gets away with 24 because none of the conferences that participate have a CCG. Unless all 10 FBS schools give up CCGs you aren't getting to 24.

Bowls suck, this has nothing to do with bowls.

Last edited:
There would need to be play-in games to accommodate the inclusion of every G5 Champ because there aren't enough weekends in the year to have a 24 team playoff. A 12 team playoff is already 4 weeks. FCS gets away with 24 because none of the conferences that participate have a CCG. Unless all 10 FBS schools give up CCGs you aren't getting to 24.

Bowls suck, this has nothing to do with bowls.
None of the FBS teams need to play CCGs either--there's far more money in a playoff. Not only for the G5 schools but the Big Ten and SEC which will dominate the 24 team field. A 24 team playoff is 4 weeks for the top 8 schools--if one of the others win then 5 but 4 weeks is the same as the 12. It's not hard to do.

It's okay--I understand what you're saying but I think copying FCS is the correct route. If there's going to be 10 conferences there needs to be 10 auto bids…
Not every FCS conference gets an auto bid to the playoff, so copying that format doesn’t do what you state it should do.

I prefer both of our fantasy systems to the current system. I do think there is more potential money to be made in super conferences than a wider playoff field. PSU-OSU or PSU-UM garner huge ratings for example. Just imagine when USC comes to town in a few years. I personally hope to see the B1G add Oregon and a few others out west and a few more eastern schools as well to get to 24. 4 pods of 6 schools creates a great final 4 in conference play to crown a conference champ.

Disagree--with 10 conferences you need at least 16 likely 24. Any league that doesn't have a post season including all champs isn't legit
It's supposed to be about determining the best team. You said only 3 or 4 teams are elite this year. I agree. Let them duke it out.

Complete nonsense, you can't compare Conference Champions records - it's nonsensical, and statistically incorrect, to say one Conference Champion's record playing a wholly different schedule is better, or even comparable, to another Conference Champion's record. Beyond that, one Conference could coincidentally have multiple teams that are better than another Conference's Champion (this is why Wild Card's are important to playoffs - the two best teams could reside in the same Conference).
You are mis-reading my post. I don't support a 12 team playoff. I'm just pointing out the only reason it's being proposed is more money and to try to keep more conferences in the discussion, therefore keeping them financially viable. It has nothing to do with determining the best team.

It's supposed to be about determining the best team. You said only 3 or 4 teams are elite this year. I agree. Let them duke it out.
But that doesn't mean another team can't make a run as we've seen in other sports.
And there's no guarantee those teams are all in the playoff

It also proves what bullshit some are pedaling about it not being fair to the highest seeds..... If the #1 team can't beat the #16 seed and #8/9 winner to make the Semis, they probably aren't the #1 Team.

ADVERTISEMENT