ADVERTISEMENT

Bowling Green Game Thoughts.....the day after

PSU Soupy

Aug 3, 2008
Random thoughts:

BGSU did PSU a big favor playing so well in the first half and showing us how teams with a semi accurate QB are going to attack our defense. We moved Carter back to LB and played more 4/3 versus 5/2 and we slowed down the first down running and had more bodies in the short passing lane, making the short throws more contested in the 2nd half.

Had big hopes for DDS and he is playing ok, but not dominate yet. He did get a great shot from the back side yesterday and the ball shot way up in the air for a 7 yard completion. This was typical of some of the breaks that seemed to go to Bowling Green. DTs playing ok....not great but better in 2nd half. Vilbert should be seeing the field more at DE...perhaps freeing up Carter to freelance at LB like Micah Parsons role.

there were some ticky tack flags thrown on PSU like the TE holding on the screen pass that stopped a drive, the called back TD on OPI which was not needed by Evans....
It seemed as if BG could not stop PSU offense unless we had gave up a sack, had a penalty or dropped ball....the mistakes stopped our drives more often than a great play by BG....

Not sure about the interception in the endzone by Drew.....not sure who made the mistake there, but wow that was really the wrong time to make that throw. Lucky that the DB tried to be a hero and run out of the endzone.

PSU played a lot of bodies. We had 8 OL get time.....maybe a similar number of DBs played..... in a contested game. Cooper Cousins was on the field in the last 10 minutes of a tight game. Elliot Washington in during some key defensive stands......this will help down the road.

Thought that Drew Shelton played pretty well against WVU not as well yesterday. Donkoh got beat a few times with a speed rush. Thought that Rucci was our best tackle yesterday on both the right and the left side of the line. Guards seem very solid this year with Ioane and Wormley getting some push up front. have not noticed Dawkins so much, but often that is a good sign for Interior Offensive LIneman.

The catch that Singleton made for the touchdown will make him some money in the NFL. Singleton ran a great route, caught the perfect throw from Drew and scored the TD....a great call, great execution.

Allar made some throws yesterday that some NFL QBs cannot make and also threw a hanging deep ball to Harrison and a I don't know what he saw throw that was picked off in the end zone. Reminded me of S. Clifford playing well for 30 throws and then making 3 throws where you really are not sure what just happened.

The RBs are so good. Warren is so good. Allar is really good almost always. His interception in the end zone, I am going to chalk up to a wrong route or something cause that was not going to work.

The Defense in the first half played scared. WE kept our Safeties deep so far off of the line of scrimmage and BG never threw the ball further than 5 yards...... with our Safeties, Rojas and Dom we have the tools to cover a good TE, but yesterday their TE was running down the seem, out in the flat.....3 yards over the line of scrimmage without bodies draped all over him. Second half we seemed to make the shorter throws more challenging and forced BG to try to beat us deep. if you have confidence in your DB room...challenge them to play tight and stay with the WRs if they go deeper. With the 15 yard penalty for interference versus the spot foul in the NFL that is the correct strategy if you are the better team.

At half time we did seem to make some adjustments mostly on D as the offense seemed to work throughout the game. Nice to have confidence in our offense to be able to move the ball and put points on the board. Would like to see the offense spread the ball around against Kent State. We have somewhat proven that we can run the ball lets work on the Passing offense. Also have not shown our ability to run on 3rd and 2 or less....this o line does not seem to be a road grater line....more of an athleting line with the exception being Ioane at LG.

Watching ND lose, BAMA struggle until the 4th quarter, Oregon struggle shows that with the limited hitting in the off season and in camps teams are not ready to start in week 1 or even week 2. Would like to see PSU use the bye week to working on tackling......blocking and filling holes on the defense and more precision in the passing game on offense.

2-0.

Reactions: bono47
Watching ND lose, BAMA struggle until the 4th quarter, Oregon struggle shows that with the limited hitting in the off season and in camps teams are not ready to start in week 1 or even week 2. Would like to see PSU use the bye week to working on tackling......blocking and filling holes on the defense and more precision in the passing game on offense.

2-0.
Right now, I would put Georgia, OSU and Texas as the top 3 but I repeat, right now. There are probably 8 to 10 teams that have a legit shot at a NC and that includes PSU. But, as we know, it will be a team that improves the most throughout the year.

Ole Miss looks good.....Tennessee looks good along with the 3 that you mentioned......... PSU in that 6-10 range perhaps.

Right now, I would put Georgia, OSU and Texas as the top 3 but I repeat, right now. There are probably 8 to 10 teams that have a legit shot at a NC and that includes PSU. But, as we know, it will be a team that improves the most throughout the year.
Agreed--those 3 have separated themselves right now. Ohio State hasn't played anyone but easily took care of business. Texas and Georgia have better QBs than Ohio State which is why I'd have Ohio State at 3 right now

I think Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, and Ole Miss are the top four teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT