ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Harper’s Grand Slam

Kasparaitis

Dec 27, 2023
Was hit off of the son of none other than former Nittany Lion DB and National Champ Mike Suter.

Was hit off of the son of none other than former Nittany Lion DB and National Champ Mike Suter.
Best known for blocking his own team's punt?

Penn State suffered from so many mistakes and breakdowns in its 42-21 loss to Alabama Saturday that Mike Suter, who made the biggest mistake, could take solace in knowing that at least he was not alone.

Suter's mistake - blocking his team's punt at a critical moment of the game - was among many unusual plays that occurred in college football across the nation.

The play came with five minutes left and Penn State trailing, 27-21, at Birmingham. The Lions, with fourth down at their 49-yard line, set up to punt. Suter, the blocker in the backfield on punts, moved backward to his left, putting himself right in front of Ralph Giacomarro, the punter, as he moved forward to kick. The ball hit Suter in the back and bounded toward the Penn State goal line. Alabama recovered it at the 11. Two plays later, Linnie Patrick scored his second touchdown.

After the victory, which raised Alabama's record to 5-0 and dropped Penn State to 4-1, Coach Paul (Bear) Bryant said: ''I warn our team of that possibility on a punt every single week. It's happened to us.'' Joe Paterno, Penn State's coach, said, ''I hope I never see it again.''

Reactions: jjw165
Best known for blocking his own team's punt?

Penn State suffered from so many mistakes and breakdowns in its 42-21 loss to Alabama Saturday that Mike Suter, who made the biggest mistake, could take solace in knowing that at least he was not alone.

Suter's mistake - blocking his team's punt at a critical moment of the game - was among many unusual plays that occurred in college football across the nation.

The play came with five minutes left and Penn State trailing, 27-21, at Birmingham. The Lions, with fourth down at their 49-yard line, set up to punt. Suter, the blocker in the backfield on punts, moved backward to his left, putting himself right in front of Ralph Giacomarro, the punter, as he moved forward to kick. The ball hit Suter in the back and bounded toward the Penn State goal line. Alabama recovered it at the 11. Two plays later, Linnie Patrick scored his second touchdown.

After the victory, which raised Alabama's record to 5-0 and dropped Penn State to 4-1, Coach Paul (Bear) Bryant said: ''I warn our team of that possibility on a punt every single week. It's happened to us.'' Joe Paterno, Penn State's coach, said, ''I hope I never see it again.''
I prefer to remember he was best known for making an interception in the end zone to keep Penn State in that game at half time. He was in the lineup because the starter Mark Robinson had to leave the game. Not to point fingers but Suter probably should have been taken off the punt team since he was now playing a crucial role on the first team defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT