ADVERTISEMENT

Cael Sanderson Updates Plans at 157, during Wisconsin Press Conference

A wee-bit trace of a restrained smile there after the statement at the 5:40 mark . . . followed by a nervous chuckle from the reporter asking the next question. 😉

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I was under the impression that Haines still had 2 of his 5 days available to wrestle and still be able to redshirt, regardless of Fall or Spring semester. If Spey is correct, we should have wrestled Haines 2 other times last semester.

Reactions: jpsolo and Ski
he seems to believe that because it is no longer the first semester if Haines wrestles he would no longer be in a "redshirt". Is this true?
While his believing it may be true, it is factually false. Cael said as much in the presser.

True freshman are allowed 5 competitive dates attached in the season. Levi has only had 3 competitive dates (also per Cael).

True Freshman must compete attached only when they compete during the first semester. The first semester is now over.

Therefore, by way of example, Levi can wrestle vs Wisconsin, another dual this season or an open (each as attached), as well as any opens unattached this semester, and Levi could still preserve his redshirt. Or he could burn it and wrestle B1Gs.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that Haines still had 2 of his 5 days available to wrestle and still be able to redshirt, regardless of Fall or Spring semester. If Spey is correct, we should have wrestled Haines 2 other times last semester.
He can still wrestle 2 more duals before losing his RS which is smart because it gives the team flexibility in case they need him in big dual or in case of injury to Claw.

That being said..it’s clear Haines is the better wrestler and it’s my opinion he goes the rest of the way regardless

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Cael is the mastermind with these dilemmas.

Cael did confirm one salient point of speculation on this board, namely, Levi is growing out of 157. That creates the immediate question of who goes where next year. The easy button is everyone moves up. Sounds good to me for Levi, Facundo and Brooks, while addressing the 197 question as well. The one I am less certain of is Carter moving up.

If Levi has a redshirt then at least there is added flexibility between Levi and Alex at 165 if Carter stays at 174. If Levi shirts this year then it seems we may have to sit a star. I can't recall when we have had to do that other than Rasheed vs Cassar. BTW - I was in the we should have gone with Caesar camp, but everyone was enamored with Shakur's 'phantom' bonus potential. Well, had we listened to me and Cassar won the spot he likely would have not moved up to heavy the next year, and been the only adult human to beat Gable in folk... twice.

Cael has a plan for sure (CP), and my bet is Levi has to go this year. That said, I have been wrong before.

Cael is the mastermind with these dilemmas.

Cael did confirm one salient point of speculation on this board, namely, Levi is growing out of 157. That creates the immediate question of who goes where next year. The easy button is everyone moves up. Sounds good to me for Levi, Facundo and Brooks, while addressing the 197 question as well. The one I am less certain of is Carter moving up.

If Levi has a redshirt then at least there is added flexibility between Levi and Alex at 165 if Carter stays at 174. If Levi shirts this year then it seems we may have to sit a star. I can't recall when we have had to do that other than Rasheed vs Cassar. BTW - I was in the we should have gone with Caesar camp, but everyone was enamored with Shakur's 'phantom' bonus potential. Well, had we listened to me and Cassar won the spot he likely would have not moved up to heavy and been the only adult human to beat Gable in folk... twice.

Cael has a plan for sure (CP), and my bet is Levi has to go this year. That said, I have been wrong before.
Next year Levi shirts. Carter goes 165, Facundo goes 174, Barr goes 184, and Brooks goes 197.

If Carter is serious about going 74kg for the Olympics that might be the only way. I would not be opposed to seeing Ball go 184 though to give Barr time to grow into 184.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
While his believing it may be true, it is factually false. Cael said as much in the presser.

True freshman are allowed 5 competitive dates attached in the season. Levi has only had 3 competitive dates (also per Cael).

True Freshman must compete attached only when they compete during the first semester. The first semester is now over.

Therefore, by way of example, Levi can wrestle vs Wisconsin, another dual this season or an open (each as attached), as well as any opens unattached this semester, and Levi could still preserve his redshirt. Or he could burn it and wrestle B1Gs.
For what it's worth, here's what Spey writes in the article:

"Will Levi Haines have his redshirt pulled off in Madison?

"We won't know until we see who takes the mat, but the fact that Haines is listed as a probable starter certainly heightens the speculation ...

"Haines participation in the dual would not necessarily signal that he will be PSU's starter moving forward as all True Freshman are given 5 events to compete in without burning their year of eligibility."

Seems like his believing it is also not true

"We won't know until we see who takes the mat, but the fact that Haines is listed as a probable starter certainly heightens the speculation ...

"Haines participation in the dual would not necessarily signal that he will be PSU's starter moving forward as all True Freshman are given 5 events to compete in without burning their year of eligibility."

He edited the article. Previously it made a point to state that if Haines goes, his red-shirt is burned.

Odd question to ask when the answer can only be no. It's actually impossible since Levi has 2 dates remaining. Spey is usually on top of things so he deserves a pass on this one

Next year Levi shirts. Carter goes 165, Facundo goes 174, Barr goes 184, and Brooks goes 197.
If thats the scenario, I wish we could have gotten Barr on the NLWCshirt plan for a year.

What does 84 look like next year, I wanna say fairly weak, right?

That is why an ORS is very possible for Carter.
TIFWIW but Carter said his goal was to win #4 and the Olympics in 2024 and then be done with wrestling. Didn't seem super interested in winning #5 even though it would be historic. I think he is ready for MMA also.

One thing to consider is Barr is wrestling 170 to 175 right now. He's still growing (wrestled Levi at 160 in 2021) but he would be a small 184 as a freshman IMO. Consider the adjustment also to college wrestling and I think a redshirt is the best solution there.

Why leave out 157? Aside from the likely shirt for Kasak, you have him and the Claw eyeing 157.

Also don't forget the elder Gibson. Noone has really seen him in a couple of years to guage where he is in terms of weight or level. Yet one more likely 165ish in the hopper along with Barr.

The prospect of Grey shirts, Red shirts, Olympic shirts, it's starting to look like a Rubik's cube

Ahh so many problems, so many good problems. We might have an outside shot at our shirts and backups sniffing a top ten team, especially if Carter were to take an Oly.

Whose shirt did he read and what did it say? ;)
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT