ADVERTISEMENT

Can Iowa catch Penn State for the team title?

Sep 4, 2018

What are Iowa's chances of making the team race interesting? 10%? 5%? 0%? Is it delusional to think Iowa could make it close? Or will Penn State do its normal thing and have 2 -3 guys over perform at NCAA's and it won't be close? I am interested to see what yall think?

But the answer of course is Iowa or another school could, if alot of things go perfect for them, they have alot of over kids over preform and PSU really under preforms. Like last yr PSU has returning 4 returning champs and they have others who could AA. But thats why they wrestle, don’t need another paper champ.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
If the starting PSU lineup suffers no major injuries - no Iowa can't beat PSU. Injuries to key starters is the only path forward for Iowa and others. Even then, I wouldn't count PSU out.

Reactions: ccdiver

What are Iowa's chances of making the team race interesting? 10%? 5%? 0%? Is it delusional to think Iowa could make it close? Or will Penn State do its normal thing and have 2 -3 guys over perform at NCAA's and it won't be close? I am interested to see what yall think?
You failed to mention the normal of Iowa underperforming at NCAA'S. That's part of the equation too.

Anything is possible especially with injuries in this sport and how unpredictable March can be but I mean ... has Cael ever lost when he has a roster like this? Most times we know the years where winning isn't super feasible (2015, 2021)

2020 was a perfect storm with 3 of our expected postseason starters injured (Cassar, Shak, Berge)

How’s the hand fighting?

collector-the-collector.gif

Dual went pretty much as expected. Starters rolled for the most part. Got to see some new faces, came away with the lopsided win. Think Iowa had like a 36-2 td advantage.

Murin about got himself pinned when he got a little sloppy with a cradle attempt.

Dual went pretty much as expected. Starters rolled for the most part. Got to see some new faces, came away with the lopsided win. Think Iowa had like a 36-2 td advantage.

Murin about got himself pinned when he got a little sloppy with a cradle attempt.
Your Luther Open thread is kinda spiraling out of control in true cesspool fashion.

Always enjoy your perspective Jrod. 😊

Reactions: jrod65
Before Iowa worries about catching Penn State they need to figure out a path that enables them to catch the team (Cornell, Minnesota, Oklahoma St., Ohio St., Michigan) that inevitably will finish between champion Penn State and 3rd place (or worse) finisher Iowa.

Iowa could over perform for once, but our most critical competition this year is injury. Lose even one of our big 5 (Incl Kerk) and that's 20-25 points, and Iowa could stretch into the discomfort range. Despite this weekend's tourney 5th, I still want to see Levi to add a little bit of insurance. Realistically he is 5-10 points, and of course he could perform better than seed in March like most PSU kids.

Iowa could over perform for once, but our most critical competition this year is injury. Lose even one of our big 5 (Incl Kerk) and that's 20-25 points, and Iowa could stretch into the discomfort range. Despite this weekend's tourney 5th, I still want to see Levi to add a little bit of insurance. Realistically he is 5-10 points, and of course he could perform better than seed in March like most PSU kids.
They could but Iowa underperforming has become the norm. You watch in anticipation but.......then it doesn't happen

I'm watching Iowa vs. cal baptist, Iowa looks like a high school team compared to PSU.
We had like 4 starters wrestling. As for the video, I don’t see Iowa winning another title under brands assuming PSU remains constant. Just cant bring in the recruits. Last year was a year we had the horses to get it done, but our top 3 guys all had serious injuries. That’s life.

I have my doubts about anyone touching PSU, but Iowa is the one team that could threaten. Lee,Woods,Warner, and Cass are all legit title threats. Murin and Kennedy are likely AAs. They would need Teske,Brands, or Assad to over perform to maximize chances. PSU just wrestles so well in the money rounds on Friday and Sat. at the tournament it is hard to see them losing.

Of course they can, but they won't. JMHO based on recent results.

I have Iowa getting 1 champ (if he makes it through year) and no more than 6 AAs Going to take PSU injuries or a major implosion to catch us.

ADVERTISEMENT