ADVERTISEMENT

Carnac the magnificent's Indiana Grades

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
Oh great one, what do you see?

125 - WD - dropped the class before finals. I don't know what to say Moran was ranked #69?

133 - B+ Exciting match, some crazy mistakes with postioning, but a lot of action from start to funish and against a #29

141 - A+ WTF did I blink? Now be as agressive against top 20 kids. You have the ability

149 - A - Very solid offensive performance against a #30. A pin would have got you the plus.

157 - B - a very workman like solid outing against a good #21. There were a few sloppy moments that could cost him against to 10 guys that need cleaning up

165 - B+ I am still not 100% sure if the opponent was their #50 or #107 guy which has a bearing on the grade. Certainly a takedown exhibition. A tech or Pin should have been in the making, and gets the A

174 - A- - between the whistles, D- before and after. Sorry guys that schtick is unnecessary and not what Cael teaches I can sure you. I side with Cael, you can stick with patting Carter's back on this one.

184 - B+ He looked great and strong. One more point could have secured the major and an A.

197 - A+ Just what I expect of an A student against lower ranked competitor. Pain and a short story. He's starting to hit his late season stride.

HWT - A+ - Kerk may prove someday that he can gather more riding time than elapsed match time, he is that fast in neutral and that dominant in top.

Team - A- - solid performance across the board granted a few issues to work on in the coming weeks as we get ready for prime time.

125 - WD - dropped the class before finals. I don't know what to say Moran was ranked #69?

133 - B+ Exciting match, some crazy mistakes with postioning, but a lot of action from start to funish and against a #29

141 - A+ WTF did I blink? Now be as agressive against top 20 kids. You have the ability

149 - A - Very solid offensive performance against a #30. A pin would have got you the plus.

157 - B - a very workman like solid outing against a good #21. There were a few sloppy moments that could cost him against to 10 guys that need cleaning up

165 - B+ I am still not 100% sure if the opponent was their #50 or #107 guy which has a bearing on the grade. Certainly a takedown exhibition. A tech or Pin should have been in the making, and gets the A

174 - A- - between the whistles, D- before and after. Sorry guys that schtick is unnecessary and not what Cael teaches I can sure you. I side with Cael, you can stick with patting Carter's back on this one.

184 - B+ He looked great and strong. One more point could have secured the major and an A.

197 - A+ Just what I expect of an A student against lower ranked competitor. Pain and a short story. He's starting to hit his late season stride.

HWT - A+ - Kerk may prove someday that he can gather more riding time than elapsed match time, he is that fast in neutral and that dominant in top.

Team - A- - solid performance across the board granted a few issues to work on in the coming weeks as we get ready for prime time.

I think Haines deserves an A. Gilcher is good and has wins over Saldate and Artalona this year. You’ve been the main person on this board pumping the brakes on Levi. I’m just not sure what more you need to see from him at this point to fully get on board. Other than an early season slip up he’s passed every test and is getting better every time he steps out on the mat. Are you just being cautious in how you view him because he’s a true freshman? Do you think he can beat Robb, Franek, O’Connor, and Andonian? I’m not sure that he’s the favorite but I think he can beat everyone in the weight. Just not sure if he can do it all in a row in the meat grinder that is the national tournament. I’m just truly curious on your view

I think Haines deserves an A. Gilcher is good and has wins over Saldate and Artalona this year. You’ve been the main person on this board pumping the brakes on Levi. I’m just not sure what more you need to see from him at this point to fully get on board. Other than an early season slip up he’s passed every test and is getting better every time he steps out on the mat. Are you just being cautious in how you view him because he’s a true freshman? Do you think he can beat Robb, Franek, O’Connor, and Andonian? I’m not sure that he’s the favorite but I think he can beat everyone in the weight. Just not sure if he can do it all in a row in the meat grinder that is the national tournament. I’m just truly curious on your view
I don't think we are that far off on our assessment. Yes, an excess of caution for a true freshmen who hasn't beat a to 4 guy yet is in order.

My opinion is higher on Levi than both SVN and Facundo this year, while I remain high on both of them. The main point is we haven't seen Levi against top 3 competition yet, and that group is very very good. Much better than #4-10. We won't know until we know. He has won some pretty tight ones against AA competition, and Robb and O'conner are very sound tactitions that won't make mistakes, and Andonian is arguably more dynamic than Levi. When those two meet the sparks should fly. I think Andonian's ceiling is just below National champion.

Levi's trajectory is very steep, so I am not going to be troubled by a loss at big 10s unless it were dominant.

Can he beat all three? I am on the 'maybe' boat this year. So my biggest beef is probably the wording "is Levi the favorite". I think the proper wording might be "can Levi challenge for a national title"? I am a definitive " no" to the first, and a " quite possibly" to the second at this point in time.

No matter, we have an awesome one with Levi who will excite, and likely compete for multiple titles over the following 3-4 years.

As for the grade, maybe Levi is a victim of his own success. That was a very solid match and win, but if you rewatch he got into several bad positions where had he been going up against a top 3 guy, things may not have worked out so well.

Reactions: RandyL and zzs006
Looking ahead, assuming both win out, does Levi or Kendall Coleman get the #2 seed at Big Ten's behind Peyton Robb?

did I miss an interview or video in which Cael responds to the match and Carter in particular?

I don't think we are that far off on our assessment. Yes, an excess of caution for a true freshmen who hasn't beat a to 4 guy yet is in order.

My opinion is higher on Levi than both SVN and Facundo this year, while I remain high on both of them. The main point is we haven't seen Levi against top 3 competition yet, and that group is very very good. Much better than #4-10. We won't know until we know. He has won some pretty tight ones against AA competition, and Robb and O'conner are very sound tactitions that won't make mistakes, and Andonian is arguably more dynamic than Levi. When those two meet the sparks should fly. I think Andonian's ceiling is just below National champion.

Levi's trajectory is very steep, so I am not going to be troubled by a loss at big 10s unless it were dominant.

Can he beat all three? I am on the 'maybe' boat this year. So my biggest beef is probably the wording "is Levi the favorite". I think the proper wording might be "can Levi challenge for a national title"? I am a definitive " no" to the first, and a " quite possibly" to the second at this point in time.

No matter, we have an awesome one with Levi who will excite, and likely compete for multiple titles over the following 3-4 years.

As for the grade, maybe Levi is a victim of his own success. That was a very solid match and win, but if you rewatch he got into several bad positions where had he been going up against a top 3 guy, things may not have worked out so well.
Yeah, I agree. There is an opening for him because of the lack of an elite hammer at that weight and he's been good enough to take advantage if everything goes right for him, but I'll hold off on calling him a "favorite" until I see him against top 4 competition (hopefully vs Robb at B1Gs...).

141. Lol. Tough to grade what you can’t see. But Aplus is def in order.

However, note the pin comes from the very move that he has been criticized for trying too often against those higher ranked guys, rather than ensuring the TD. The single to cradle.

But yes. I agree. Just keep going, Beau!!

Looking ahead, assuming both win out, does Levi or Kendall Coleman get the #2 seed at Big Ten's behind Peyton Robb?
Levi is undefeated against B10 opponents. Coleman has 2 losses.

Saldate also has 2 conference losses and could be seeded ahead of Coleman.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

However, note the pin comes from the very move that he has been criticized for trying too often against those higher ranked guys, rather than ensuring the TD. The single to cradle.

I don't think he has missed any TDs this year looking at that cradle. He is a powerful 141 pounder. If he hits that headlock against Woods just a tad harder and tightens it up, we are still crowing about our 141 pounder.

Probably good to note that Bartlett's opponent is a true freshman with zero D1 wins and his highest career finish was 6th in Wisconsin. He walked onto IU's team a month ago according to the website.

Not fair to Bartlett to wonder why he isn't aggressive like that against normal starters.

Which is also how Keckeisen pinned Hidlay.

Probably good to note that Bartlett's opponent is a true freshman with zero D1 wins and his highest career finish was 6th in Wisconsin. He walked onto IU's team a month ago according to the website.

Not fair to Bartlett to wonder why he isn't aggressive like that against normal starters.
True..Bartlett could have been put in a cradle by a guy with 0 Div.1 wins.

I don't think he has missed any TDs this year looking at that cradle. He is a powerful 141 pounder. If he hits that headlock against Woods just a tad harder and tightens it up, we are still crowing about our 141 pounder.
I have seen at least 2 TDs lost because he is close to locking up the cradle off the single leg. I think one was against Real. I have no problem with it though, it's being aggressive.

I have seen at least 2 TDs lost because he is close to locking up the cradle off the single leg. I think one was against Real. I have no problem with it though, it's being aggressive.

I think he has been much better this year than last at taking the takedown rather than getting greedy and going for a standing cradle and losing it.m. I attribute this change to him likely reading my posts repeatedly complaining about him doing it.

I'm sorry, I would still like to see Beau to end his single to cradle habits. It never works against any NQ level opponents, he doesn't have the length for it. His style is what it is (win controlled decisions with well timed shots, counter attacks and good defense) but you can't pass up sure TDs then.

Reactions: AndEEss
I'm sorry, I would still like to see Beau to end his single to cradle habits. It never works against any NQ level opponents, he doesn't have the length for it. His style is what it is (win controlled decisions with well timed shots, counter attacks and good defense) but you can't pass up sure TDs then.

Agreed on all points.

It’s tough to see him attempt that against an AA-type competitor, knowing that he’s not going to hit it AND that the match will likely be decided by a handful of points.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
I misphrased ... it doesn't work for Beau. It obviously can work but I think his length can cause him to just lose the move and the leg all together that he could convert for 2 otherwise. I'm well aware it can work, I remember Q hitting it on Gramball lol.
Maybe it just doesn't work for him yet. As in he needs to get better at it in matches. And the way to improve is not stop doing it when it's available. If he needs to improve at knowing when to release it, that's also a reason to keep trying in matches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT