ADVERTISEMENT

Casey's nuggets of gold from the 2-25-24 PSWC social.

creamery freak

Jul 26, 2014
Casey Cunningham was the guest speaker at this past Sunday’s social, and he candidly answered a variety of questions. Going off memory here which is sliding so please fill in any blanks.

Question 1, which I was late getting to hear, was about the debacle after the match at Maryland. Casey said he’s been called a lot of things in his coaching career but never a Mother F’r . Casey also told a funny story about after the Iowa match, that during the handshake line, Tom Brands said,” you really kicked our ass”!, and then said nothing else. Everyone thought that was pretty funny!

Next question was by me. I asked that since the BTN+ student home announcers sometimes have very little knowledge of wrestling, would it be possible to make a short video explaining scoring, pinning moves, etc for them? Everyone laughed, but he thought it was a good idea.

Question about starters for the match? Casey answered that it would be the first time all the starters were healthy since early season and all would be going today. He said the flu hit them pretty hard as it did other teams mentioning Missouri and how many guys were out for the ISU match.

Question about having a PSU women’s wrestling team? Casey answered that PSU is currently offering 31 sports to student athletes, and adding another will take some work. He stated that his daughter is 10 years old and wrestles, so he’s definitely in favor of it. Casey said the Iowa coaches sent his daughter an Iowa women’s wrestling shirt, and he threw it away. That brought a big roar from the crowd. Someone else asked who the women spar with and he said with each other and that the lighter guys in the room will work with them when they can.

Question about his most memorable matches as a PSU coach? Casey stated that Bo’s pin of MyMar at the 2018 championships stands out. He said DT’s Olympic Gold metal match rated right up there. He mentioned Zain’s World Gold metal and told a funny story about it. Casey was so happy for Zain and was fighting back tears when he hugged him after the match. He laughed and said Zain had this look that said ‘ get a hold of yourself Casey’. Someone mentioned Anthony Cassar and Casey said another great story.

That’s all I can think of for now, but if you were there and know any other good ones I missed please pile on. Also forgive the grammatical errors!

I was the person who asked about women's wrestling. He also said that "girls" sometimes come over from Lock Haven and some other school wo work out with the NLWC women.

I also asked about another tournament next year because we only had 14 competition dates. He said that Penn State was looking to add another tournament for January when freshmen can wrestle unattached. He said we have an outstanding crop of freshmen coming in and the coaches want to get them some collegiate experience since they will have five competitions available.

That led to someone else asking for comments on how the recruits are doing in their postseason tournaments. He said he can only comment on recruits who are currently signed with Penn State, but they did exceptionally well so far. He said there is one particular high school recruit who is not allowed to speak to. He said that recruit isn't interested in what he has to say anyway. Whenever Casey tries to talk to him, the recruit has earphones on. (For those not in on the joke, he is referring to his son, Asher.)

Casey Cunningham was the guest speaker at this past Sunday’s social, and he candidly answered a variety of questions. Going off memory here which is sliding so please fill in any blanks.

Question 1, which I was late getting to hear, was about the debacle after the match at Maryland. Casey said he’s been called a lot of things in his coaching career but never a Mother F’r . Casey also told a funny story about after the Iowa match, that during the handshake line, Tom Brands said,” you really kicked our ass”!, and then said nothing else. Everyone thought that was pretty funny!

Next question was by me. I asked that since the BTN+ student home announcers sometimes have very little knowledge of wrestling, would it be possible to make a short video explaining scoring, pinning moves, etc for them? Everyone laughed, but he thought it was a good idea.

Question about starters for the match? Casey answered that it would be the first time all the starters were healthy since early season and all would be going today. He said the flu hit them pretty hard as it did other teams mentioning Missouri and how many guys were out for the ISU match.

Question about having a PSU women’s wrestling team? Casey answered that PSU is currently offering 31 sports to student athletes, and adding another will take some work. He stated that his daughter is 10 years old and wrestles, so he’s definitely in favor of it. Casey said the Iowa coaches sent his daughter an Iowa women’s wrestling shirt, and he threw it away. That brought a big roar from the crowd. Someone else asked who the women spar with and he said with each other and that the lighter guys in the room will work with them when they can.

Question about his most memorable matches as a PSU coach? Casey stated that Bo’s pin of MyMar at the 2018 championships stands out. He said DT’s Olympic Gold metal match rated right up there. He mentioned Zain’s World Gold metal and told a funny story about it. Casey was so happy for Zain and was fighting back tears when he hugged him after the match. He laughed and said Zain had this look that said ‘ get a hold of yourself Casey’. Someone mentioned Anthony Cassar and Casey said another great story.

That’s all I can think of for now, but if you were there and know any other good ones I missed please pile on. Also forgive the grammatical errors!
Why didn't anyone think to ask how long it takes to know the results on an MRI test? Just in case...

Great stuff on Zain. I can actually picture Zain's face as I read the quote. He is always intense.

I was the person who asked about women's wrestling. He also said that "girls" sometimes come over from Lock Haven and some other school wo work out with the NLWC women.

I also asked about another tournament next year because we only had 14 competition dates. He said that Penn State was looking to add another tournament for January when freshmen can wrestle unattached. He said we have an outstanding crop of freshmen coming in and the coaches want to get them some collegiate experience since they will have five competitions available.

That led to someone else asking for comments on how the recruits are doing in their postseason tournaments. He said he can only comment on recruits who are currently signed with Penn State, but they did exceptionally well so far. He said there is one particular high school recruit who is not allowed to speak to. He said that recruit isn't interested in what he has to say anyway. Whenever Casey tries to talk to him, the recruit has earphones on. (For those not in on the joke, he is referring to his son, Asher.)
Thanks for filling in some of the holes that I left out. I just thought he provided some great insight and information on coaching this year and past years. I knew those that weren't there to hear him speak would appreciate the stories and I wanted to share it.

Years ago I met and talked to Cunningham at ESU Open. Very personable and accommodating when he truly didn't have be.
The reason I found this thread , I was looking for something about NLWC. They hosted a youth tournament today at Rec Hall. My nephew's son won the 55 pound division. He's 6 years old and the trophy was almost as tall as him. They hosted clinics Saturday and he got to meet Cael. Very nice. My nephew said Jason Nolf was fantastic as an instructor with the young kids.

Last edited:
My nephew told me a cute story about Cael on Saturday. My nephew son had a Blair Academy shirt on at the clinic. Cael asked if that's where he was from. My nephew said across the Delaware river, Bangor School district. Cael responded with smile and said ,"The good side of the river, District 11".

My nephew told me a cute story about Cael on Saturday. My nephew son had a Blair Academy shirt on at the clinic. Cael asked if that's where he was from. My nephew said across the Delaware river, Bangor School district. Cael responded with smile and said ,"The good side of the river, District 11".
Same hometown, live near Philly now but still stay in touch with the area, seems like the youth program is doing well, need it to carry over to the HS now. One going to states is a good start though..

Same hometown, live near Philly now but still stay in touch with the area, seems like the youth program is doing well, need it to carry over to the HS now. One going to states is a good start though..
Bangor Youth program won the Lehigh Valley Regular Season Championship. They fielded 2 different teams in Varsity youth league.

Last edited:
Seems like Middle School had a great season also, and some good 8th graders moving up. FF 107 and 113 hurt the Varsity this year.

Seems like Middle School had a great season also, and some good 8th graders moving up. FF 107 and 113 hurt the Varsity this year.
Bangor is only 26 male students over the AA class. Enrollment is dropping

for sure, class sizes at the elementary levels are smaller each year. Brother and sister-in-law are both teachers there and each year their class sizes are shrinking. My senior year was 180 but we bumped up to AAA that year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT