ADVERTISEMENT

CFB Rivalries and a coach's job security

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
How many college football rivalries truly impact a coach's job security? In thinking about it, the first one that comes to mind is Ohio State-Michigan and John Cooper. He was 2-11 vs. Michigan which drove the Bucknuts crazy, that and his bowl record was poor but otherwise his regular season record was excellent.

The seat was getting a little warm for Mack Brown in Texas for having a losing streak against Oklahoma his last few years but then his record his last few seasons was considered underachieving based on their talent that Texas had.

Any others?

I think that tOSU might have only suspended Woody, had it not been for the fact that he'd lost to Michigan 4 years in a row. The Clemson incident gave them the excuse they needed.

One need only look to Rutgers/Penn State, for the answer. There is no

BIGGER RIVALRY in all of college football, but the continuing dominance of the Nittany Lions has cost many a Rutgers coach his job.

Originally posted by john4psu:
Who was under heat in the Alabama-Auburn rivalry?
I believe three straight losses to Auburn factored into Bill Curry's departure from Alabama. At the very least I remember it being a contributing factor in the brick thrown thru his front window by a disgruntled Tide fan. Bottom line is that neither coach wants to lose too many Iron Bowls in a row. Nick Saban might get a pass because of the MNCs he's coached the Tide to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT