ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly's Realignment Idea

LandoComando

Nov 29, 2021
Kelly said he basically wants two conferences of 64. P5/G5. With teams rotation which group they play. Gave an example of playing the East using Syracuse, BC, WVU, UVa, and Pitt.
I don't think he's far off from what will happen but it will be smaller. Probably 48 teams (none that he mentioned other than maybe UVa) and it's just a merger of the Big Ten/SEC with them adding another 10 programs (ND, FSU, etc.) and then there being a lar.ge group of everyone else.
Nice is see someone say it publicly though. Can't happen soon enough.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Combine sec and big ten and get to 48 teams. Set it up like nfl with two conferences, 4 divisions in each of 6 teams. Play 12 games and run playoffs like nfl.

Reactions: 84Lion
Combine sec and big ten and get to 48 teams. Set it up like nfl with two conferences, 4 divisions in each of 6 teams. Play 12 games and run playoffs like nfl.
I like 4 divisions of 12 teams with the top 3 making it in each but something like this is what should happen.

Kelly said he basically wants two conferences of 64. P5/G5. With teams rotation which group they play. Gave an example of playing the East using Syracuse, BC, WVU, UVa, and Pitt.
I don't think he's far off from what will happen but it will be smaller. Probably 48 teams (none that he mentioned other than maybe UVa) and it's just a merger of the Big Ten/SEC with them adding another 10 programs (ND, FSU, etc.) and then there being a lar.ge group of everyone else.
Nice is see someone say it publicly though. Can't happen soon enough.

His ideas, virtually in their entirety, are good ones. — Untethered, this is, and will continue to be, the Wild Wild West. Except for a rich ( alumni bases) few schools …10 or 20 + , college football as we know it will be degraded. And he’s 100% correct about secondary sports should not having to follow “King Football”.
—Oversight and judicious management is required Here. The sooner, the better.

Last edited:
I may be in the minority, but I like the 12 team playoff and I think they got it right. If it started this year FSU hosts OU, Georgia hosts Ole Miss, PSU goes to Columbus again, and Mizzou travels to Eugene for the first round. Quarterfinals at four of the NY6 bowls with the semifinals at the remaining two bowls so keeping some tradition of the bowls. I’d love to see PSU host a game next year at the Beav in late December against a southern school.

Reactions: ilvpsu
I may be in the minority, but I like the 12 team playoff and I think they got it right. If it started this year FSU hosts OU, Georgia hosts Ole Miss, PSU goes to Columbus again, and Mizzou travels to Eugene for the first round. Quarterfinals at four of the NY6 bowls with the semifinals at the remaining two bowls so keeping some tradition of the bowls. I’d love to see PSU host a game next year at the Beav in late December against a southern school.
I don't know if you're in the minority. I think it's honestly pretty split. But FSU wouldn't have hosted OU it would have been Liberty which is part of the problem. I don't have an issue with a 12-team playoff if we have one for P5 and one for G5 and just accept their two different levels.

I also want the higher seed hosting until the final. Who wants to travel to 3 bowl games during a playoff?

I'm a PSU fan but if it's an honest "playoff" why should OSU have to beat PSU again? PSU lost and didn't win the conference. They have no real business being in a true playoff. Same as the NFL or MLB or everyone else, wildcards. PSU is in because of money. No other reason.

It makes a fun tournament that I'll watch and root for PSU but it's no championship playoff.

I'm a PSU fan but if it's an honest "playoff" why should OSU have to beat PSU again? PSU lost and didn't win the conference. They have no real business being in a true playoff. Same as the NFL or MLB or everyone else, wildcards. PSU is in because of money. No other reason.

It makes a fun tournament that I'll watch and root for PSU but it's no championship playoff.
How is that any different than the bowls?
People have to get over this nonsense of needing to win a conference to me in a "legit playoff". Not all conferences are equal. The top of the Big Ten and SEC, starting next year, would likely win every other conference most years.
And beating a team doesn't mean you're better than that team. See OU beating Texas and Bama beating Georgia. Hell, see Texas beating Bama 3 months ago.

How is that any different than the bowls?
People have to get over this nonsense of needing to win a conference to me in a "legit playoff". Not all conferences are equal. The top of the Big Ten and SEC, starting next year, would likely win every other conference most years.
And beating a team doesn't mean you're better than that team. See OU beating Texas and Bama beating Georgia. Hell, see Texas beating Bama 3 months ago.
LOL. Beating a team doesn't mean anything. Why play the games? Just declare the Vegas favorite the winners or better yet ask Lando. Bowl games are meaningless. Actual play on the field is meaningless! We don't need to play the games, just vote!! Just ask Vegas who should win and don't play. Why risk the injury. The games are meaningless. Why leave your house you could get hit by a bus. Stop! If you aren't favored just give up. You can't win and if you do it doesn't matter. The great Lando has spoken.

In every sport I've played winning matters. I don't like your concept of "sports".

LOL. Beating a team doesn't mean anything. Why play the games? Just declare the Vegas favorite the winners or better yet ask Lando. Bowl games are meaningless. Actual play on the field is meaningless! We don't need to play the games, just vote!! Just ask Vegas who should win and don't play. Why risk the injury. The games are meaningless. Why leave your house you could get hit by a bus. Stop! If you aren't favored just give up. You can't win and if you do it doesn't matter. The great Lando has spoken.

In every sport I've played winning matters. I don't like your concept of "sports".
Why are players opting our of bowl games but not playoff games? It's a simple question that any real competitor understands.

I don't like any playoff where every team doesn't have a path to the championship. If you don't want MAC, C-
USA, Mountain West etc to have a shot force them down into another classification. The fact that you know before the first snap of the football that as a player at James Madison you cannot win the championship is unfair. If the conference thing ever stabilizes again you take the conference champs and how ever many "wild cards" to make the bracket work.

I don't like any playoff where every team doesn't have a path to the championship. If you don't want MAC, C-
USA, Mountain West etc to have a shot force them down into another classification. The fact that you know before the first snap of the football that as a player at James Madison you cannot win the championship is unfair. If the conference thing ever stabilizes again you take the conference champs and how ever many "wild cards" to make the bracket work.
Exactly. This is why we eventually (within a decade) have either one 20/24 team playoff (or tournament for those worried about calling it a playoff) or two 12 team playoff for the different classifications.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT