ChiTownLion: a cog in the RWNJ "alternative facts" machine

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
ChiTownLion started a thread on this Board which provides both an illuminating and entertaining illustration of how the RWNJ "alternative facts" machine works. His thread title breathlessly reported that "Snow Mass Season" had commenced with Artic ice being 250 Gigatons greater than in 1982. "See, climate change is a hoax! This PROVES it!" Whereupon a bunch of the other RWNJ's on this Board dutifully swallowed Chi's post, and the Web ink it contained, without even a moment's consideration as to whether it had any basis in science or fact. Cue the snark ("I need to put some of that ice in my bourbon!").

Fact is, the alt-right thrives on bullshiat masquerading as fact (i.e., "alternative facts"). Trump Cultists are by now so accustomed to swallowing any kind of disinformation that Trump or like-minded RWNJ's feed them that they have lost all capacity to distinguish facts from bullshiat.

Here's a little information on Electroverse, the source that Chi cited for that hilarious report on the 250 Gigaton increase in Artic ice:

Electroverse was founded in 2018. It is a news and opinion website that promotes human-influenced climate change denial. That is its prime directive and sole reason for existence.

Electroverse completely lacks transparency. Its website lacks an "about page," the contact page does not provide a location, ownership is not disclosed, and the only author is someone named "Cap Allon," who does not provide any kind of biography. A search for Cap Allon does not verify if this is a real person. As a consequence, there is no way of verifying his (or her) credentials as it relates to climate science.

Electroverse's revenue appears to be derived through donations to a Patreon account. (Patreon is a a web-based membership platform that "allows content creators [including operators of RWNJ websites] to "let your fans become active participants in the work they love by offering them a monthly membership. You give them access to exclusive content, community, and insight into your creative process.") According to Electoverse's Patreon Page, "Electroverse has been set up to wade against the mainstream propaganda and accurately document Earth Changes as two world-altering climatic events unfold simultaneously."

Here's what mediafactcheck.com had to say about Electroverse: "[They] use fallacious (strawman) arguments such as frequently pointing out regional cold spells as a way to refute global warming. Regional cold spells have nothing to do with global warming. The [Electroverse] website also promotes the Solar Minimum as a cause for the upcoming cooler weather in the late 2020's ... Overall, we rate Electroverse a quackery level Pseudoscience source based on the promotion of misinformation regarding climate change that does not align with the consensus of science."

Speaking of the consensus of science, here is a link to another site where they cite (and quote) actual scientists concerning the notion (which is Electoverse's essential thesis) that the sun, rather than carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, is behind climate change.

All of this information was readily obtainable via a one minute Google search of "Electroverse." Yet none of the RWNJ's on this Board, with the sole exception of ao (props to him for that, BTW) bothered to check on Electroverse or express even the slightest quantum of skepticism regarding Chi's hilarious post. Which is quite entertaining, but at the same time sad ...

Last edited:

MaconNitt

Oct 18, 2016
ChiTownLion recently started a thread on this Board which provides both an illuminating and entertaining illustration of how the RWNJ "alternative facts" machine works. His thread title breathlessly reported that "Snow Mass Season" had commenced with Artic ice being 250 Gigatons greater than in 1982. "See, climate change is a hoax! This PROVES it!" Whereupon a bunch of the other RWNJ's on this Board dutifully swallowed Chi's post, and the Web ink it contained, without even a moment's consideration as to whether it had any basis in science or fact. Cue the snark ("I need to put some of that ice in my bourbon!").

Fact is, the alt-right thrives on bullshiat masquerading as fact (i.e., "alternative facts"). Trump Cultists are by now so accustomed to swallowing any kind of disinformation that Trump or like-minded RWNJ's feed them that they have lost all capacity to distinguish facts from bullshiat.

Here's a little information on Electroverse, the source that Chi cited for that hilarious report on the 250 Gigaton increase in Artic ice:

Electroverse was founded in 2018. It is a news and opinion website that promotes human-influenced climate change denial. That is its prime directive and sole reason for existence.

Electroverse completely lacks transparency. Its website lacks an "about page," the contact page does not provide a location, ownership is not disclosed, and the only author is someone named "Cap Allon," who does not provide any kind of biography. A search for Cap Allon does not verify if this is a real person. As a consequences, there is no way of verifying his (or her) credentials as it relates to climate science.

Electroverse's revenue appears to be derived through donations to a Patreon account. (Patreon is a a web-based membership platform that "allows content creators [including operators of RWNJ websites] to "let your fans become active participants in the work they love by offering them a monthly membership. You give them access to exclusive content, community, and insight into your creative process.") According to Electoverse's Patreon Page, "Electroverse has been set up to wade against the mainstream propaganda and accurately document Earth Changes as two world-altering climatic events unfold simultaneously."

Here's what mediafactcheck.com had to say about Electroverse: "[They] use fallacious (strawman) arguments such as frequently pointing out regional cold spells as a way to refute global warming. Regional cold spells have nothing to do with global warming. The [Electroverse] website also promotes the Solar Minimum as a cause for the upcoming cooler weather in the late 2020's ... Overall, we rate Electroverse a quackery level Pseudoscience source based on the promotion of misinformation regarding climate change that does not align with the consensus of science."

Speaking of the consensus of science, here is a link to another site where they cite (and quote) actual scientists concerning the notion (which is Electoverse's essential thesis) that the sun, rather than carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, is behind climate change.

All of this information was readily obtainable via a one minute Google search of "Electroverse." Yet none of the RWNJ's on this Board, with the sole exception of ao (props to him for that, BTW) bothered to check on Electroverse or express even the slightest quantum of skepticism regarding Chi's hilarious post. Which is quite entertaining, but at the same time sad ...
I refer to the Trump cultists as the W.I.M.P s (Wildly Insane Maga Posse) because they don't like Circle Jerks, it produces faux outrage to the homophobes.

Reactions: 2lion70

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
agreed. It is like you using CNN, MSNBC, WaPo, NYT...etc., as a source.
When they cite percipient witnesses, quote actual experts, and do a bit of fact checking before publishing their news reports, yes, I do. Do they occasionally screw up? Of course. That's why every media outlet, including Faux News and other conservative outlets, regularly prints corrections and retractions. But all of those media sources you cited at least make an effort to report the news. In the case of CNN and MSNBC, a lot of what they do is (like Faux News) commentary rather than straight news reporting. I see nothing wrong with that. Most reasonably intelligent people are able to distinguish between the two.

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
When they cite percipient witnesses, quote actual experts, and do a bit of fact checking before publishing their news reports, yes, I do. Do they occasionally screw up? Of course. That's why every media outlet, including Faux News and other conservative outlets, regularly prints corrections and retractions. But all of those media sources you cited at least make an effort to report the news. In the case of CNN and MSNBC, a lot of what they do is (like Faux News) commentary rather than straight news reporting. I see nothing wrong with that. Most reasonably intelligent people are able to distinguish between the two.
occasionally screw up? They posted Russia! articles for five years while knowing it was bullshit and sat on the Hunter Biden laptop at the same ****ing time? They also posted secret recordings of Melania and Trump's sister while NOT publishing Biden's Neice's diary where she makes credible accusations of molestation by the veggie in chief!

Just two major examples. Good luck finding articles talking about Iraq deteriorating under the limp biden admin.

These are not minor mistakes.

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
Sorry, Obli, but Trump-Russian collusion was not bullshiat.
well, the FBI agent in volved was convicted. And even the NYT now admits that the entire Steele Dossier was bullshit, which is what the russian collusion issue was all based on.

And even if it wasn't all Buillshit, I'd ask for major news outlets to report equally. let's not let the molester in chief off with his corrupted, drugged out son.

Reactions: Air Force 1

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Thanks for the shout, @LafayetteBear. I come in peace, and with good news: Greenland just picked up ANOTHER record accumulation of snow and ice.

Flash back to 2007 when Al Gore horrified the world by declaring that the polar caps would be ice free by 2014. Low and behold, we actually have MORE ICE today than when Al Gore made his prediction.

I'll let the neutral observers decide who is more credible between Al Gore and PolarPortal. Cheers.

Last edited:

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
can we just go back in time to 2012 when things were much better?

2012, the movie
tsunami-2012movie.gif

Reactions: psuted

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
I'll let the neutral observers decide who is more credible between Al Gore and PolarPortal. Cheers.
Well, I am not necessarily a big fan of Al Gore, and less so of his environmental projections, but I did a little web research on PolarPortal, and found next to nothing. When I Googled the name "Polar Portal" I got some hits, but clicking on a number of them invariably produced a screen that shows the following verbiage (and nothing more):

http://polarportal.dk er desværre ikke tilgængelig i øjeblikket.​

Vi arbejder på at bringe den online igen hurtigst muligt.​

Awesome. Truly informative and confidence inspiring. You really know how to pick websites, Chi. :cool:

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Well, I am not necessarily a big fan of Al Gore, and less so of his environmental projections, but I did a little web research on PolarPortal, and found next to nothing. When I Googled the name "Polar Portal" I got some hits, but clicking on a number of them invariably produced a screen that shows the following verbiage (and nothing more):

http://polarportal.dk er desværre ikke tilgængelig i øjeblikket.​

Vi arbejder på at bringe den online igen hurtigst muligt.​

Awesome. Truly informative and confidence inspiring. You really know how to pick websites, Chi. :cool:
Yeap. It's a Danish coalition of weather services and universities. They study Greenland and sea levels exclusively. The results they published today created an "avalanche" of activity which crashed their website.

Anyway, are you suggesting that this year's healthy accumulation of snow and ice in Greenland is a RWNJ "alternative fact?"

Reactions: roswelllion

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
Yeap. It's a Danish coalition of weather services and universities. They study Greenland and sea levels exclusively. The results they published today created an "avalanche" of activity which crashed their website.

Anyway, are you suggesting that this year's healthy accumulation of snow and ice in Greenland is a RWNJ "alternative fact?"
Not necessarily. But I am noting the fact that the website you listed showed no evidence to support your claim that a bunch of new snow and ice had fallen in Greenland. In fact, it does not show us anything at all. Thus far, you've given us Electroverse and a website that is inoperative. I'd call that 0 for 2.

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
I refer to the Trump cultists as the W.I.M.P s (Wildly Insane Maga Posse) because they don't like Circle Jerks, it produces faux outrage to the homophobes.

Definitely not a fan of circle jerks like your side.

Reactions: psuted

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003

Like when Rachel Maddow broke the news of Trump's tax returns?

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Not necessarily. But I am noting the fact that the website you listed showed no evidence to support your claim that a bunch of new snow and ice had fallen in Greenland. In fact, it does not show us anything at all. Thus far, you've given us Electroverse and a website that is inoperative. I'd call that 0 for 2.
Here you go, @LafayetteBear:

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
People should do themselves a favor and listen to Tony Heller's insight on the 18 GIGATONS of ice and snow mass in Greenland over the last 4 days:

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
@LafayetteBear - if you are an Earth-loving man then you are absolutely going to love this update.

The Greenland ice year just ended last night (August 31) and the results are in: Greenland added 471 billion tons of new snow and ice mass this year which is a whopping 100 billion tons above average. 4 of the last 6 years have all been well above average.

Just when "the experts" thought they had "the science" figured out, Mother Nature sends us a knee-buckling curveball that left our alarmists frozen at the plate.

This despite the fact that we are gradually pulling out of an ice age. Such wonderful news!

junior1

May 29, 2001
ChiTownLion started a thread on this Board which provides both an illuminating and entertaining illustration of how the RWNJ "alternative facts" machine works. His thread title breathlessly reported that "Snow Mass Season" had commenced with Artic ice being 250 Gigatons greater than in 1982. "See, climate change is a hoax! This PROVES it!" Whereupon a bunch of the other RWNJ's on this Board dutifully swallowed Chi's post, and the Web ink it contained, without even a moment's consideration as to whether it had any basis in science or fact. Cue the snark ("I need to put some of that ice in my bourbon!").

Electroverse completely lacks transparency. Its website lacks an "about page," the contact page does not provide a location, ownership is not disclosed, and the only author is someone named "Cap Allon," who does not provide any kind of biography. A search for Cap Allon does not verify if this is a real person. As a consequence, there is no way of verifying his (or her) credentials as it relates to climate science.

I don't have a dog in your fight, and unlike a lot of self proclaimed "experts" on here, I don't know if global warming, or the current concept of climate change as a result of mankind is real. But, I do believe this, you're interchanging concepts when you go from using global warming and climate change in the same argument. First of all, at least in my opinion, climate has been changing forever, We have hot years, we have cold years: we have too much snow, we don't have enough snow: etc etc. You can never be wrong if you blame climate change for all the variables in weather.
Now, on the other hand, a lot of us are old enough to remember the modern age genesis of global warming - al gore!!...He found scientists, or they found him, and so the modern movement began. There were all kinds of prognostications based on scientific models that showed the effects of global warming on the earth. I'm sure that some came true, but most of the most severe didn't. So the ridicule of global warming began...because the things the scientists said would happen, didn't happen. Remember the sad looking polar bears with no ice to lay on?
So, the mantra flipped from global warming to climate change. Like I said, you can never be wrong with climate change. Climate always changes.
Now, there's an old expression..."follow the money". And there's a lot of money to be made off climate change. Look at all the federal funding that goes to the gurus of climate change. I'd bet if you submitted a proposal for a study to refute the concept, you're not going to even be considered.
Now, speaking of gurus of climate change...to name a few..Obama, Kerry, Gore, DeCaprio, Bezos, Biden. One might think that these folks, who have access to more data on this topic than any of us would really be practicioners of the means to combat the effects. But, just the opposite is true. John Kerry, with his houses and private jet flights likely puts more emissions in the air in a year, than most of do in 5 years. Obama, who told us of the rising oceans, builds a multimillion dollar house on an island which would be one of the first victims of the water.
I won't even get in to the Paris accords where we're in so much danger of the climate changing that some of the main polluters get to continue polluting for 30 more years.
So how does any of this make sense?
It's fascinating that people, mainly on their political beliefs, actually trust the statements of about concepts that most of the bloviators know little or nothing about. Think Joe Biden has an in depth understanding of the science of climate? Donald Trump? Nancy Pelosi? We should all be questioning the concepts, because the direction our leaders are taking us is going to change our way of living forever. Accepting on blind faith is really dangerous.
Just my opinion

junior1

May 29, 2001
don't you think it might be helpful for the country if there was some legitimate fact checker to expose the lies that are coming from both sides of the political aisles. Right now the dems are in power so they get the majority of the press, so I'll focus on them, but both sides are guilty..how about the "border is secure", there are not "people just walking across the border". "the republicans want a national ban on abortion", "republicans will eliminate social security and medicare", republicans are going to ban contraceptives", etc etc.
Like I said republicans are just as guilty.
We're becoming like a banana republic. We expect voters to make informed decisions yet the candidates are not honest about their programs and lie about their opponents platforms.

roswelllion

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2003
Like when Rachel Maddow broke the news of Trump's tax returns?
Or when Rachel M lectured us on vaccines. " It is simple, if you have been vaccinated you won't get Covid and and you can't spread Covid because the vaccine won't allow covid in you system."
And please don't use the science evolves BS. The vaccines were new, experimental and largely untested as are all MRNA products. So there was nothing to evolve. Keep your trap shut until we know more or you look as stupid as she did.

Reactions: psuted and m.knox

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Or when Rachel M lectured us on vaccines. " It is simple, if you have been vaccinated you won't get Covid and and you can't spread Covid because the vaccine won't allow covid in you system."
And please don't use the science evolves BS. The vaccines were new, experimental and largely untested as are all MRNA products. So there was nothing to evolve. Keep your trap shut until we know more or you look as stupid as she did.

Liberals cannot keep their trap shut at all. They have to announce to the world how virtuous and wonderful they are. In my experience, it's psychologically compensatory.

Reactions: psuted and royboy

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
If you have ever used a fossil fuel then YOU are responsible for the extinction of polar bears!

WE MUST ACT NOW!!

dailybuck777

Jan 2, 2018
Fact is, the alt-right thrives on bullshiat masquerading as fact (i.e., "alternative facts")

Sorry, Obli, but Trump-Russian collusion was not bullshiat.

Funny that a Russiagate denier like you claims someone thrives on bs masquerading as fact, when you are quite often lazy and get facts wrong or make them up. You have to lie about the 20 month intelligence agency coup attempt in order to claim that the 3 hour Jan. 6 riot was an unprecedented attempt to overturn an election. In the past, you cited a long report (two portions of which were self-refuting when you got down to the supplementation and caveats to general statements made out of context -- which I explained)

Here is what you cited. https://www.justsecurity.org/63838/guide-to-the-mueller-reports-findings-on-collusion/ Would challenge you to come up with the two strongest arguments that there was collusion between Trump and Russia from the report that you cited. It is all BS taking a small sliver of facts out of context in order to propagate the lie that there is any substantial evidence that Trump or his campaign actually colluded with Russia. Whatever you may cite will be easily refuted once you go to the ground level and look at the actual facts.

Reactions: royboy

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
Articles from 1972 and 1974. LOL. Well done, Chi. I hope your fellow Trump Cultists will be as thoroughly entertained as I am.