ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Spielman sues Ohio State over use of athletes' images

Lion8286

Sep 1, 2008

Few Ohio State football players have been considered more iconic as a Buckeye than Chris Spielman.

Since his All-America career from 1984 to ’87, Spielman has been viewed as the embodiment of the program’s values — tough, selfless and loyal.

That’s why it was considered such stunning news Friday that Spielman is the plaintiff in a class-action suit filed in federal court in Columbus against Ohio State University on behalf of all former and current Buckeyes football players.

“I feel sick about it,” Spielman told The Dispatch. “But I believe in doing the right thing. I teach my kids to stand up for what’s right. Players have a right. If somebody wanted to endorse you, don’t you think you have a right to say yes or no, or to negotiate? That’s a common-sense thing. We want to be partners. We don’t want to be adversaries.”

Spielman said his attorney, Brian K. Duncan, tried for eight months to resolve the issue with Ohio State.

Rest of story here: http://www.dispatch.com/news/201707...-state-university-over-use-of-athletes-images

Reactions: Ski and 91Joe95
Very odd situation, but after all we have been through and so many loyalties tested, I choose to not pass judgment on either side on this case. That said, could spielman do something better with the money than further enrich the O $U athletic department? Whatever.

Hard not to respect a guy like Spielman - both as a player and since he retired to the press box. Given his seat at the pantheon of buckeyes legends, I'm wondering how their faithful will respond to this. Could he be destined for "fake buckeye" status??

Reactions: Ski and boddyebsen
He's 100% correct. OSU is making money on the corporate sponsorship of banners (Honda), so he should get a cut. Spielman said OSU can use his name and image on anything specific to OSU.

Reactions: kgilbert78
He used to be my practice partner's next door neighbor. And he is right. The ungodly amount of money made off the OSU football players previous and current is unbelievable. I figured they were getting some of that, but I guess not. There is one main thing hat is important in the Columbus, Ohio area and that is OSU football - it is OSU football 24/7 365 there.

It is rare to see a newscast without some mention of OSU football. You might just hear something like "the starting OSU quarterback farted today" just so there is some tidbit about OSU football. The advertising in Columbus is rife with anything OSU football including past and present players. It is big $$$$.

University presidents are too filled with hubris to understand the absurdity of their stance.

Reactions: mn78psu83
The store here noted that tOSU had offered a six-figure settlement, which he turned down. I think it's the principle and setting a precedence that he is concerned about.

He's very well respected here in Columbus.

Reactions: 91Joe95
The store here noted that tOSU had offered a six-figure settlement, which he turned down. I think it's the principle and setting a precedence that he is concerned about.

He's very well respected here in Columbus.

I've always liked him and found him principled, same with Robert smith

Reactions: mn78psu83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT