ADVERTISEMENT

CJF had some interesting comments on the helmet headset last week

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
and I haven't seen it discussed here.

The rules call for the ability for one player to have a helmet headset. I am not sure how the refs will know who has it and if only one person has it. For example, on defense, players don't play every snap of the game so how to they get a player who has a headset onto the field and get it turned on when the primary headset player is not in the game? Offense is much easier, the QB has the headset. Unless both Allar and Pribula are on the field at the same time. How does anyone know one helmet set is on and the other is off?

Secondly, it only helps when you are huddling. Somehow, you can tell the QB what to do but he has to communicate that to the rest of the team. So in the end, signals will have to be given. And if you give signals, it opens the door to sign stealing. This is, of course, the reason why the NCAA has introduced these headsets.

and I haven't seen it discussed here.

The rules call for the ability for one player to have a helmet headset. I am not sure how the refs will know who has it and if only one person has it. For example, on defense, players don't play every snap of the game so how to they get a player who has a headset onto the field and get it turned on when the primary headset player is not in the game? Offense is much easier, the QB has the headset. Unless both Allar and Pribula are on the field at the same time. How does anyone know one helmet set is on and the other is off?

Secondly, it only helps when you are huddling. Somehow, you can tell the QB what to do but he has to communicate that to the rest of the team. So in the end, signals will have to be given. And if you give signals, it opens the door to sign stealing. This is, of course, the reason why the NCAA has introduced these headsets.
For the first part, the way the NFL does it (or at least used to) is to have a green dot on the helmet of the player with comms:

So probably on defense you'd have to the same position (e.g. MLB) have it, but players might have to have multiple helmets depending on how substitutions are done. In the case of Pribula and Allar, Beau would like have to have two helmets; one for when he's on the field with Allar (no comms) and one without (comms). I agree this has the potential to cause problems.

And your point about huddling and signals is 100% correct. This won't solve any problems regarding sign stealing unless teams huddle. I don't think the helmet comms are a bad thing, but as a "solution to Michigan cheating like MF'ers) it's not curative.

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
For the first part, the way the NFL does it (or at least used to) is to have a green dot on the helmet of the player with comms:

So probably on defense you'd have to the same position (e.g. MLB) have it, but players might have to have multiple helmets depending on how substitutions are done. In the case of Pribula and Allar, Beau would like have to have two helmets; one for when he's on the field with Allar (no comms) and one without (comms). I agree this has the potential to cause problems.

And your point about huddling and signals is 100% correct. This won't solve any problems regarding sign stealing unless teams huddle. I don't think the helmet comms are a bad thing, but as a "solution to Michigan cheating like MF'ers) it's not curative.
I believe in the NFL the ability for the sideline to communicate ends with 10 seconds on the play clock.

And by having to signal the play twice in the old system, once to the QB and then from QB to line, receivers, backs, etc., that shortens the time to acknowledge, communicate and adjust.

Just a couple of thoughts off of the top of my head.

Reactions: PSU2UNC

Got it. So how do you ensure that there is only one "green dot?" I would imagine that, especially on D, you have to have multiple guys with green dots because you don't know who is going to be the comms guy from play to play. Lets say PSU's comms guy is Carter. But Carter gets a stinger and has to take a couple of plays off. Does a Safety run over to the sideline and get a green dot helmet? That isn't feasible. So you will have to have several green dot guys in the field but only one turned on at a time. So how is this policy enforced?

Got it. So how do you ensure that there is only one "green dot?" I would imagine that, especially on D, you have to have multiple guys with green dots because you don't know who is going to be the comms guy from play to play. Lets say PSU's comms guy is Carter. But Carter gets a stinger and has to take a couple of plays off. Does a Safety run over to the sideline and get a green dot helmet? That isn't feasible. So you will have to have several green dot guys in the field but only one turned on at a time. So how is this policy enforced?
I suspect one of the refs is tasked with making sure there is only one green dot on the field at a time.
As proposed above, you'd like need to have the "green dot" be positional (e.g. most likely MLB, so not Carter) so if one MLB subs out, the next guy up as has a comms helmet.
It gets tricky if a guy plays multiple positions and guys may need to have more than one helmet (e.g. for Beau).

It's not simple and I'm not advocating for (or against it). Just suggesting how it works from a mechanics perspective.

I suspect one of the refs is tasked with making sure there is only one green dot on the field at a time.
As proposed above, you'd like need to have the "green dot" be positional (e.g. most likely MLB, so not Carter) so if one MLB subs out, the next guy up as has a comms helmet.
It gets tricky if a guy plays multiple positions and guys may need to have more than one helmet (e.g. for Beau).

It's not simple and I'm not advocating for (or against it). Just suggesting how it works from a mechanics perspective.
OK, so you are suggesting that if the primary green dot/comms guy has to take a breather, the secondary guy has to go to the sideline and swap out his normal non-green-dot helmet for one with a green dot? Lets say Carter is the green dot guy and has played 7 plays in a row and taps out. kevin Winston is the secondary green-dot comms guy has to get a new lid? And what if the offense is in no-huddle mode?

I don't think that is feasible.

OK, so you are suggesting that if the primary green dot/comms guy has to take a breather, the secondary guy has to go to the sideline and swap out his normal non-green-dot helmet for one with a green dot? Lets say Carter is the green dot guy and has played 7 plays in a row and taps out. kevin Winston is the secondary green-dot comms guy has to get a new lid? And what if the offense is in no-huddle mode?

I don't think that is feasible.
No, I'm saying that it would be positional.

So whoever is your MLB (or SS, or whatever) would be the green dot guy. So if the starter comes out, the 2nd string guy replacing him is also the green dot guy.

It would not work (as you rightly point out) to have different positions be the secondary green dot guy.

Reactions: Obliviax
No, I'm saying that it would be positional.

So whoever is your MLB (or SS, or whatever) would be the green dot guy. So if the starter comes out, the 2nd string guy replacing him is also the green dot guy.

It would not work (as you rightly point out) to have different positions be the secondary green dot guy.
Got it. But I haven't seen that in the rules. From what I've seen, the green dot guy is simply the designated guy. But I could be wrog..rong...raw...wong...wrong.

Got it. But I haven't seen that in the rules. From what I've seen, the green dot guy is simply the designated guy. But I could be wrog..rong...raw...wong...wrong.
Here's some more info about how the NFL does it.

No idea how CFB will implement it.

Reactions: Obliviax
My guess would be backup helmets. If the primary player goes out and they need to go a play or series without it someone having the green dot, so be it. They can switch after the play or series. Just one more contingency plan to put in place.
I agree but don't see how that is feasible. If Carter is the designated Green Dot guy and gets banged up or needs a breather, they can't stop play for the backup Green Dot guy to swap out his helmet. This is especially true if the O is in hurry-up mode.

Reactions: RickinDayton

Tough to have a solution to the Michigan cheating when you allow them to go ahead and play for a Championship.

Unlike the Canada soccer team. Not going to be playing for gold.

My guess would be backup helmets. If the primary player goes out and they need to go a play or series without it someone having the green dot, so be it. They can switch after the play or series. Just one more contingency plan to put in place.
There will definitely be mistakes made in adjusting to this new concept. I wonder how many won't use it or only use it in certain games? In PSU's case they might only use it against BGSU and Kent State because there is such a talent advantage that there is more space for errors.

Last edited:
Tough to have a solution to the Michigan cheating when you allow them to go ahead and play for a Championship.

I haven't been watching the Olympics that much and had no idea about Canada. This is odd because, of all of the nations, Canada has that "good guy" appeal. It is also interesting to note, like Michigan football, they suddenly started to over achieve at this years COPA events which happened just before the Olympics. Now we know why.

I haven't been watching the Olympics that much and had no idea about Canada. This is odd because, of all of the nations, Canada has that "good guy" appeal. It is also interesting to note, like Michigan football, they suddenly started to over achieve at this years COPA events which happened just before the Olympics. Now we know why.

But let them play anyway as Michigan did….and reap the benefits of cheating.

But let them play anyway as Michigan did….and reap the benefits of cheating.
yeah.

For me, the penalties need to be profound and personally painful for those who partook. Harbaugh and many of the players are gone and will tell their great-grandchildren about the night the won the natty while conveniently leaving out the whole "we cheated" part. There can be no ambiguity. The juice cannot be worth the squeeze.

I'd take away the Natty and history will show it blank. But the NCAA doesn't want that scar. So they'll minimally punish UM for a few years and feel like all is well.

yeah.

For me, the penalties need to be profound and personally painful for those who partook. Harbaugh and many of the players are gone and will tell their great-grandchildren about the night the won the natty while conveniently leaving out the whole "we cheated" part. There can be no ambiguity. The juice cannot be worth the squeeze.

I'd take away the Natty and history will show it blank. But the NCAA doesn't want that scar. So they'll minimally punish UM for a few years and feel like all is well.
Unless you can alter people's memories.....

Michigan eliminated all accomplishments of the Fab5 1990's basketball team, but fans remember the players and games much more than their retroactive status change.

Particularly in today's society.

I agree but don't see how that is feasible. If Carter is the designated Green Dot guy and gets banged up or needs a breather, they can't stop play for the backup Green Dot guy to swap out his helmet. This is especially true if the O is in hurry-up mode.
I just think they will go to hand signals until they can make the change after the next stoppage. The teams will have to prepare to adapt if needed.

If Canada beats Columbia they advance to the knockout stage. People need to stop using flawed examples. There's a very good chance they play for the gold and win as they have the same mindset as Michigan did.

Michigan won the titke last year. We all saw it. It's part of history. Putting an asterisk by their name doesn't alter history. This obsession with vacating their title is absurd. See the Astros. See the Trojans with Bush. None of the penalties mean anything. It's all emotion. Michigan won. Come to terms with it.

Just like when our wins were vacated no one pretended that counted. What happened, happened.

Michigan won the titke last year. We all saw it. It's part of history. Putting an asterisk by their name doesn't alter history. This obsession with vacating their title is absurd. See the Astros. See the Trojans with Bush. None of the penalties mean anything. It's all emotion. Michigan won. Come to terms with it.

Just like when our wins were vacated no one pretended that counted. What happened, happened.
Shouldn’t have played. Period.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT