ADVERTISEMENT

Cleveland suggestions

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
im going to Cleveland for a quick business trip. The last time I was there I was traveling with a guy who grew up there and he took me to a legit butcher shop for kielbasa. I was hoping to pick up some kielbasa and maybe pierogis. Can anyone suggest a place in Cleveland that would have authentic kielbasa and pierogis?

Also, if there are any great restaurants that I should check out, please suggest them as well.

I suggest throwing a match in the lake and watching it burn. Worth whatever the fine is.

Reactions: ras5051
The lake won’t burn, Wiz.
But the river might !!!

Actually spent a nice weekend in Cleveland this summer. There is one street (maybe Second or Third) downtown that is closed to vehicles. The street is full of restaurants, breweries, etc. Lots of people, outdoor tables, good food.
Cleveland is much, much nicer than it was a decade or so ago.

Last edited:
The Warsaw.
If you are referring to the bar on the Drew Carey Show, the actor and comedian who played the Bartender, Tim, recently passed away. His real name was Tim O’Rourke, a friend of mine since 6th grade who happened to start on the NE Ohio comedy circuit at the same time as his friend Drew Carey. I believe he also did writing for the Sponge Bob Square Pants show.

West Side Market is a quick Uber from downtown. But if you go be prepared to be taking home more than pierogies and kielbasa.

I cannot overstress how tremendous Sokolowski's University Inn is. It is in the Tremont section just west of Downtown.

You go thru a cafeteria line for your Polish food favorites. Everything is made right on site. They serve generous portions. You can get soft drinks from the fountain but if you want a bottle of beer they have American and Polish bottles on ice.

If you ever wanted to try a Zywiec, a Tyskie or a Zubr, this is the place. The lunchtime crowd is BUSY.

But the river might !!!

Actually spent a nice weekend in Cleveland this summer. There is one street (maybe Second or Third) downtown that is close to vehicles. The street is full of restaurants, breweries, etc. Lots of people, outdoor tables, good food.

Aren’t most streets close to vehicles?

im going to Cleveland for a quick business trip. The last time I was there I was traveling with a guy who grew up there and he took me to a legit butcher shop for kielbasa. I was hoping to pick up some kielbasa and maybe pierogis. Can anyone suggest a place in Cleveland that would have authentic kielbasa and pierogis?

Also, if there are any great restaurants that I should check out, please suggest them as well.

I would just MOAB the city.

Redevelopment is good business sense!

;););)

Westside Market is the place. Many butcher shops, cheese etc...Got to get a Steve's gyro while you are there.

@Fox Chapel Lion II

Paprika chicken....wow. Spent most of my youth thru high school with my Slovak grandparents. My Baba would make the meal and I enjoyed. It's been a long time since I had this dish, not sure if my wife has made this in the past for me. Karen is excellent at making perogies, thin potato pan cakes with the crispy edges and the real Slovak Haluski made with potato dumplings, not noodles.
I forgot, Karen also would make me sweet, tender calves hearts in a red paprika sauce. Hasn't for yrs claiming calves hearts are difficult to find?

Last edited:
@Fox Chapel Lion II

Paprika chicken....wow. Spent most of my youth thru high school with my Slovak grandparents. My Baba would make the meal and I enjoyed. It's been a long time since I had this dish, not sure if my wife has made this in the past for me. Karen is excellent at making perogies, thin potato pan cakes with the crispy edges and the real Slovak Haluski made with potato dumplings, not noodles.
I forgot, Karen also would make me sweet, tender calves hearts in a red paprika sauce. Hasn't for yrs claiming calves hearts are difficult to find?
Haluski - cabbage, butter and starch. All the major food groups right there! Never had with potato dumplings but sounds delish!

The cabbage and the pig have been very good to us.

When we were there, we found that many restaurants are closed on Mondays so your options will be limited. We checked a ton of places for Eastern European food and were shut out.

4th St Ally has a lot of options. We went to The Butcher and the Brewer and really liked it.

Carve out time for the R&R Hall. It’s definitely worth the visit.

Heading to Cleveland this weekend to see the Stones. Need some satisfaction for two breakfasts, one lunch, and two dinners.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Heading to Cleveland this weekend to see the Stones. Need some satisfaction for two breakfasts, one lunch, and two dinners.
I'll be at the concert as well. Are you staying downtown?

The best place for dinner downtown is on East 4th Street if you like meat. Mabel's BBQ is owned by world-famous Michael Symon (The Chew TV show). There are several places there for eating or drinking. For breakfast, Yours Truly, is the best (Playhouse Square). Hotel Cleveland may be fun...it is a classic old hotel that just reopened after a massive remodel. Another great place to eat is Johnny's Downtown. I'd take care to the East Bank of the Flats and go to any place there. It is on the river and is kind of "Cleveland" as you sit outside and enjoy the waterfront. I like Collision Bend and The Lakehouse there.

My favorite Italian is a bit out of the way but is Bruno's on West 41st but you can go to "little Italy" and enjoy a dozen great restaurants there (on the east side. Its a bit of a longer drive (East 117th area) but has great restaurants and bakeries. Fun to just walk around, get a drink, then a dinner, then a desert.

Let me know if you have more questions. If you tell me where you are staying I can be of better help.

Reactions: knickslions
But the river might !!!

Actually spent a nice weekend in Cleveland this summer. There is one street (maybe Second or Third) downtown that is closed to vehicles. The street is full of restaurants, breweries, etc. Lots of people, outdoor tables, good food.
That is East 4th. It is the culinary street. Very nice.

I'll be at the concert as well. Are you staying downtown?

The best place for dinner downtown is on East 4th Street if you like meat. Mabel's BBQ is owned by world-famous Michael Symon (The Chew TV show). There are several places there for eating or drinking. For breakfast, Yours Truly, is the best (Playhouse Square). Hotel Cleveland may be fun...it is a classic old hotel that just reopened after a massive remodel. Another great place to eat is Johnny's Downtown. I'd take care to the East Bank of the Flats and go to any place there. It is on the river and is kind of "Cleveland" as you sit outside and enjoy the waterfront. I like Collision Bend and The Lakehouse there.

My favorite Italian is a bit out of the way but is Bruno's on West 41st but you can go to "little Italy" and enjoy a dozen great restaurants there (on the east side. Its a bit of a longer drive (East 117th area) but has great restaurants and bakeries. Fun to just walk around, get a drink, then a dinner, then a desert.

Let me know if you have more questions. If you tell me where you are staying I can be of better help.
This dude knows Cleveland!

You lucky bastard! Was wanting to take the boys this summer, but they're nowhere near me in NC. Doing a bunch of others from Train, to Aaron Lewis, Godsmack, Staind, and Sugarland. Quick question. How much were Stone's tickets?

You lucky bastard! Was wanting to take the boys this summer, but they're nowhere near me in NC. Doing a bunch of others from Train, to Aaron Lewis, Godsmack, Staind, and Sugarland. Quick question. How much were Stone's tickets?
Right now they are over $150 at the cheapest. (All in)

Swing what?
If you know you know.

200w.gif

My advice is don’t go to Cleveland.
I have lived in the Cleveland area for almost 70 years. Like any big city, there are places not to go. However, it is a great place overall. Great food, low cost of living, little risk of natural disasters (earthquakes, etc.) etc. 3 major sports teams, although winning is often a challenge. It is also the home of the Cleveland Clinic. World class health care.

I have lived in the Cleveland area for almost 70 years. Like any big city, there are places not to go. However, it is a great place overall. Great food, low cost of living, little risk of natural disasters (earthquakes, etc.) etc. 3 major sports teams, although winning is often a challenge. It is also the home of the Cleveland Clinic. World class health care.
I’m just having some fun guys. Spent one weekend in Cleveland a long time ago. Rained the entire time. Can’t remember the name of the place, but great Italian food right downtown.

How was your stay @pawrestlersintn ?

I just saw that Cleveland was just named the best place in the USA to fish over 4th of July weekend!

How was your stay @pawrestlersintn ?

I just saw that Cleveland was just named the best place in the USA to fish over 4th of July weekend!

I know you didn't ask me but I was in CLE from 6/14 until 6/18 with the highlight of the trip being the Stones concert. Overall, it was a great trip and would recommend others check it out. Besides the concert, we went to the zoo, lots or breweries, and the rock hall of fame. We stayed in an VRBO place in Ohio City. The Stones were awesome! I don't know how they do it at their age...unreal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT