ADVERTISEMENT

Clifford thinks he could make the nfl?

Cheap shot. Cliff might get UDFA look. Dickhead fans should perhaps be more concerned with the fact that Allar can't beat out such a "bum."
I am not sure what people are talking about? Give the kid guy a break. he's about to play his last game for PSU. Why is anyone else so hateful? If they don't think he should start, that isn't on him. I have no problem with a legitimate discussion about his performance but taking shots at the college player is beyond the pale and, simply, not what Penn State is or has ever been about.

Last edited:
what are you talking about? Give the kid guy a break. he's about to play his last game for PSU. Why are you or anyone else so hateful? If you don't think he should start, that isn't on him. I have no problem with a legitimate discussion about his performance but taking shots at the college player is beyond the pale and, simply, not what Penn State is or has ever been about.
Read my post more carefully. Bum is in "".
A quick check would tell you I'm an unwavering supporter of Cliff vs Levis...as well as the rationale behind his return this season. In fact, I couldn't agree more with your sentiments.

Read my post more carefully. Bum is in "".
A quick check would tell you I'm an unwavering supporter of Cliff vs Levis...as well as the rationale behind his return this season. In fact, I couldn't agree more with your sentiments.
Sorry...I edited my post

Reactions: marshall23
I am not sure what people are talking about? Give the kid guy a break. he's about to play his last game for PSU. Why is anyone else so hateful? If they don't think he should start, that isn't on him. I have no problem with a legitimate discussion about his performance but taking shots at the college player is beyond the pale and, simply, not what Penn State is or has ever been about.
Making the assumption that another QB will produce "better" results is the same disease many suffer from here when it comes to coaches.

Making the assumption that another QB will produce "better" results is the same disease many suffer from here when it comes to coaches.
players come and go. I love SC for his dedication to PSU and his leadership. I don't think he is a great QB. He's a good QB. I think Levis is better, but not by a long shot. I feel the staff screwed up in not starting another QB last season when it was clear SC was so injured he couldn't perform leading a top flight team against good B1G teams. I don't think he has the arm to be an NFL QB. All of that means zero. I wish him well this week and would love for him to have a long NFL career and make me look foolish. I'll never understand why people take personal shots and college players. They are doing the best they can. And, they work their asses off. The level of dedication is incredible with 5am mornings, workouts, class obligations, "volunteer" practices, real practices, film study....man, these kids go from 5am to 11pm every day with this stuff.

giphy.gif

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Well, one thing is for certain, the draft experts on here are almost always wrong. Much has been said about previous players who went on to have an NFL career, even if it was short. Of course, these are the same experts who criticize our coaches and are just as "accurate" in their game/season predictions.

players come and go. I love SC for his dedication to PSU and his leadership. I don't think he is a great QB. He's a good QB. I think Levis is better, but not by a long shot. I feel the staff screwed up in not starting another QB last season when it was clear SC was so injured he couldn't perform leading a top flight team against good B1G teams. I don't think he has the arm to be an NFL QB. All of that means zero. I wish him well this week and would love for him to have a long NFL career and make me look foolish. I'll never understand why people take personal shots and college players. They are doing the best they can. And, they work their asses off. The level of dedication is incredible with 5am mornings, workouts, class obligations, "volunteer" practices, real practices, film study....man, these kids go from 5am to 11pm every day with this stuff.

giphy.gif
Levis is better because he had 3 years to beat out Clifford and couldn’t and Clifford posted better QB ratings than Levis the past 2 years? Levis has a better chance to make it in the pros because of his arm but I don’t give a royal rat’s you know what about that. I want Franklin to choose the QB that gives Penn State the best chance to win which he did picking Clifford.

Reactions: RussianEagle
Levis is better because he had 3 years to beat out Clifford and couldn’t and Clifford posted better QB ratings than Levis the past 2 years? Levis has a better chance to make it in the pros because of his arm but I don’t give a royal rat’s you know what about that. I want Franklin to choose the QB that gives Penn State the best chance to win which he did picking Clifford.
I suspect Franklin chose SC because he was the starter with experience over Levis.

I don't understand why you are so angry. " ...but I don’t give a royal rat’s you know what about that..." What is your problem, dude? You didn't get what you wanted for Christmas or something?

You need to rethink your life.

giphy.gif
Mostly agree. I find it easier to let the coaches coach. They may have more insight than I do. Hundreds of hours of tape and practice generally leads to better decisions than "gut" feelings from afar. LOL.....But Cliff is my man, until he's gone, then I'll ride with the next choice.

Mostly agree. I find it easier to let the coaches coach. They may have more insight than I do. Hundreds of hours of tape and practice generally leads to better decisions than "gut" feelings from afar. LOL.....But Cliff is my man, until he's gone, then I'll ride with the next choice.
Agree but coaches are not infallible. And practice performance does not always translate to in-game performance. I think Franklin is too defensive. By that I mean "afraid to lose" as opposed to wanting to win. His offenses go into a shell and we often lose games we were winning. Last your's Illinois and this year's tOSU games as examples. But the Saquon Rose Bowl, that year's tOSU game, even the B1G championship game against Wisconsin came down to a critical 4th down stop after giving up a big lead.

My point is that he gets very concerned about turnovers.

As such, I think he leans heavily on QBs who don't turn the ball over instead of the better performer. And when a QB has a year or two of experience over a kid that hasn't started, he tends to go with the kid he trusts won't do something dumb and turn the ball over.

My point is, I don't think he went to SC because he was the better QB. I think he went to him because he was the least likely to turn the ball over. While those are similar, they are not the same. CJF has had a very poor track record of developing and playing younger QBs. He stated he needed to fix that going into this year and has made an effort to get Allar more time.

This is very simple. Clifford is the better choice for PSU. It wasn't just Franklin's evaluation. It was repeated by 3 offensive coordinators. Could Levis be better for a different coaching staff looking for and doing different things? Yes.
Last year a team I coached had a reunion of sorts. After a few beverages, my former QB (senior year starter) felt brave enough to inform me that he still couldn't believe I started someone else instead of him his junior year. I quickly explained that for what I wanted to do offensively and the personnel we had, the player I chose was the best fit. It was the truth, as the individual in question had a better arm and the player I started could run the option and had started 2 dozen games.
He seemed to understand and accept this explanation. Admittedly, a coach who ran a different system, may have made the opposite choice.

Agree but coaches are not infallible. And practice performance does not always translate to in-game performance. I think Franklin is too defensive. By that I mean "afraid to lose" as opposed to wanting to win. His offenses go into a shell and we often lose games we were winning. Last your's Illinois and this year's tOSU games as examples. But the Saquon Rose Bowl, that year's tOSU game, even the B1G championship game against Wisconsin came down to a critical 4th down stop after giving up a big lead.

My point is that he gets very concerned about turnovers.

As such, I think he leans heavily on QBs who don't turn the ball over instead of the better performer. And when a QB has a year or two of experience over a kid that hasn't started, he tends to go with the kid he trusts won't do something dumb and turn the ball over.

My point is, I don't think he went to SC because he was the better QB. I think he went to him because he was the least likely to turn the ball over. While those are similar, they are not the same. CJF has had a very poor track record of developing and playing younger QBs. He stated he needed to fix that going into this year and has made an effort to get Allar more time.
Coaches are not infallible.....just closer to infallible than fans.

This is very simple. Clifford is the better choice for PSU. It wasn't just Franklin's evaluation. It was repeated by 3 offensive coordinators. Could Levis be better for a different coaching staff looking for and doing different things? Yes.
Last year a team I coached had a reunion of sorts. After a few beverages, my former QB (senior year starter) felt brave enough to inform me that he still couldn't believe I started someone else instead of him his junior year. I quickly explained that for what I wanted to do offensively and the personnel we had, the player I chose was the best fit. It was the truth, as the individual in question had a better arm and the player I started could run the option and had started 2 dozen games.
He seemed to understand and accept this explanation. Admittedly, a coach who ran a different system, may have made the opposite choice.
Good story, but I'm imagining the reunion going something like this....

So should the coach adapt his system for the "better" QB?
Not me Not in high school. They ran my system grade 7 thru junior varsity. By the time they got to me they knew where they fit in, all the terminology and the basic schemes.
I had a senior QB who had started every game since his sophomore season. I wanted to run more option than usual that year to take advantage of his running ability. I almost never threw the ball. Incidentally we won 8 of ten games and he was selected 1st team all league. We ran the I with multiple formations and we were more tailback centric. The junior who was the backup started as a safety. He started his senior year at QB. He had a nice season and we lost out on a title on a questionable call. Balls to the wall....I make the exact same decision again.

It is in vogue!

Not me Not in high school. They ran my system grade 7 thru junior varsity. By the time they got to me they knew where they fit in, all the terminology and the basic schemes.
I had a senior QB who had started every game since his sophomore season. I wanted to run more option than usual that year to take advantage of his running ability. I almost never threw the ball. Incidentally we won 8 of ten games and he was selected 1st team all league. We ran the I with multiple formations and we were more tailback centric. The junior who was the backup started as a safety. He started his senior year at QB. He had a nice season and we lost out on a title on a questionable call. Balls to the wall....I make the exact same decision again.
Fair enough. I believe at the college level especially with the portal it's vital for the coach to be willing to adapt their scheme. Part of issue in Michigan under Harbaugh was he was too stubborn to do so for years. Not saying things would have been better with Levis playing if Franklin did we'll never know

Fair enough. I believe at the college level especially with the portal it's vital for the coach to be willing to adapt their scheme. Part of issue in Michigan under Harbaugh was he was too stubborn to do so for years. Not saying things would have been better with Levis playing if Franklin did we'll never know
I had a lot of philosophies and then I became a head coach. In coaching, like life, you evolve. At the core you need to find what you can teach well, what you know well (so that if you are getting beat, you know why and how and can adjust on the fly). At the high school level, I think it's important to adopt a system that fits the kind of talent you can reasonably expect to have on your roster year after year. For example, the wishbone was popular in my day. It requires putting 4 good runners on the field. One injury and your 5th best ball carrier is on the field. I never had that kind of depth or talent. The I allowed me to put the ball in the hands of my most talented RB and if I had two....I had depth. Doing multiple things is not nearly as important as doing a handful of things and executing them with precision. Coach every day of the year and on game day remember that the game belongs to the players.

Reactions: lazydave841
Part of issue in Michigan under Harbaugh was he was too stubborn to do so for years.

Ironically, Harbaugh lost more at Michigan when he evolved. Now that he's went back to his roots, they've made the playoff twice.

He's also hit on 2 good DCs running an NFL styled 3-4.

Ironically, Harbaugh lost more at Michigan when he evolved. Now that he's went back to his roots, they've made the playoff twice.

He's also hit on 2 good DCs running an NFL styled 3-4.
He went back to a more power run game but it's not the same scheme he ran at the beginning. He found a happy-medium. He did try to go to far to the other side for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT