ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Prime lands top transfer

Prime is the "flavor of the month." Let's see how he weathers the test of time. My sense is he's not wired for the 24/7 365 commitment that being a HC P5 requires today. While its true he can rely on staff for a great deal, it takes more than vision and delegation of authority to succeed long term. Also, I don't see Colorado as being a source of endless NIL funds like he's going to be sliming with (SEC) long term for 5 star talent. But time will tell.

Reactions: lionbacker
No way he can corral 45 new players to have a winning record in Boulder in 2023. Won’t be expected to but must in 24 and 25! He’ll be a media darling all year.

Reactions: tlbakernc
Prime is the "flavor of the month." Let's see how he weathers the test of time. My sense is he's not wired for the 24/7 365 commitment that being a HC P5 requires today. While its true he can rely on staff for a great deal, it takes more than vision and delegation of authority to succeed long term. Also, I don't see Colorado as being a source of endless NIL funds like he's going to be sliming with (SEC) long term for 5 star talent. But time will tell.
Yeah, this has a last year's Texas A&M flavor to it. Prime has had the good life and not sure what he knows about coaching beyond connecting with young athletes (although that is great in the college game). However, you bring in a bunch of guys enamored with his fame, brought in by NIL deals, and some remaining guys from the old regime, I'm guessing it mixes as well as that $30 million A&M recruiting class did last year.

Who knows? Maybe they find magic in a bottle for a year like Mich St did with massive transfer mercenaries? But Colorado was starting with one of the worst rosters in college football so that seems a bit of a stretch.

Will be interesting to see how Primetime handles losing at the D1A level - something he is totally not used to (keeping his team together and attitude positive when consistently losing is something he has no experience with). Primetime is not just going to step into Colorado and start winning consistently - he may have bitten off more than he can chew imho.

Just an out there thought here but did Colorado hire Prime in part because of Big 10 expansion? The Pac conference is looking at falling apart unless they have a couple teams step up and bring in the best of the Big 12. But Colorado football has to look out for it's own survival and they were on the chopping block. Could they be looking for a short term bounce to get picked up by the Big 10 or help the PAC weather the losses of their top programs?

Just an out there thought here but did Colorado hire Prime in part because of Big 10 expansion? The Pac conference is looking at falling apart unless they have a couple teams step up and bring in the best of the Big 12. But Colorado football has to look out for it's own survival and they were on the chopping block. Could they be looking for a short term bounce to get picked up by the Big 10 or help the PAC weather the losses of their top programs?
I think that is exactly what CU is thinking. They actually have pretty good tradition, but they never recovered from their recruiting scandal that took place under Gary Barnett about 20 years ago. There are a ton of Big Ten alums in CO, and the Mountain time zone is an untapped area of the country for the Big Ten.

If the Big Ten and SEC expand to 20+ teams apiece, CU is a good candidate to be included at the big boy table.

I think that is exactly what CU is thinking. They actually have pretty good tradition, but they never recovered from their recruiting scandal that took place under Gary Barnett about 20 years ago. There are a ton of Big Ten alums in CO, and the Mountain time zone is an untapped area of the country for the Big Ten.

If the Big Ten and SEC expand to 20+ teams apiece, CU is a good candidate to be included at the big boy table.
Yeah Colorado can help bridge the regional gap between traditional Big 10 country and the west coast.

Reactions: NedFromYork
He lands another transfer to Colorado
Alabama linebacker Demouy Kennedy
Except he had one (1) tackle the entire season
I just can't root for Sanders
A big name attracts good players. We should think about this for our basketball program. The only way we will ever have a decent basketball program is if we hire an ex-NBA big name player as our coach. He will attract good players. Think what John Thompson did for Georgetown a few decades ago.

A big name attracts good players. We should think about this for our basketball program. The only way we will ever have a decent basketball program is if we hire an ex-NBA big name player as our coach. He will attract good players. Think what John Thompson did for Georgetown a few decades ago.
I thought he was a pretty successful high school coach first. He didn't get much notice because of his playing career.

I'd prefer our current path of getting a guy that can actually coach. Especially when looking at the recent track record of the "big name player" as coach.

Will be interesting to see how Primetime handles losing at the D1A level - something he is totally not used to (keeping his team together and attitude positive when consistently losing is something he has no experience with). Primetime is not just going to step into Colorado and start winning consistently - he may have bitten off more than he can chew imho.
I think you're underestimating how quickly he could turn things around thanks to the portal. Just look at what Tucker did at MSU as an example - came into a dumpster fire and through heavy use of the portal was able to lead them to an 11 win season. Obviously what came after hasn't worked out, but if Coach Prime can have similar results to Tucker in his first couple of seasons the locker room will take care of itself.

Reactions: tlbakernc
At the moment, it looks like Prime's sales pitch is not focused on NIL, but that he knows how to prepare recruits to reach their potential for playing in the NFL. Basically, he saying that there is no NIL for you if you can't play--you have to earn it. Maybe that approach will help him get a better result than Texas A&M got last year.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
He’ll bankrupt Colorado they don’t have the money or the fan base. My son lived in Denver for 10 yrs. That’s where coaching careers die

Reactions: Frank3
At the moment, it looks like Prime's sales pitch is not focused on NIL, but that he knows how to prepare recruits to reach their potential for playing in the NFL. Basically, he saying that there is no NIL for you if you can't play--you have to earn it. Maybe that approach will help him get a better result than Texas A&M got last year.
Except coaches do not decide who gets NIL.

I'd prefer our current path of getting a guy that can actually coach. Especially when looking at the recent track record of the "big name player" as coach.
Yes. We have a good one in Shrewsberry. Don't need to go get some big name that could be a bad fit.

dragging NIL dollars through the transfer portal hasn't been a success. A couple of schools had very short term success, see MSU. But in the long term, it failed. You have to have chemistry on your team, you have to have trust and you have to have coaching. Sanders is a side show. He hasn't proven he can coach and he hasn't proven he can build chemistry. I think he will flame out quickly in Boulder.

I know a lot of people don't like him, but his shtick does seem to resonate with some high-end kids. I think it will be interesting to watch. I think his health will be a concern, but as long as he holds up I can see him having some success if they can get past the early losing. I don't see anything that looks like a sure win on this year's schedule considering they were 1-11 last year, so a few wins would probably be a success. But the Colorado of the late 80s early 90s would probably go 10-2 or better against this schedule. They aren't playing in the Big Ten East or SEC West.

I know a lot of people don't like him, but his shtick does seem to resonate with some high-end kids. I think it will be interesting to watch. I think his health will be a concern, but as long as he holds up I can see him having some success if they can get past the early losing. I don't see anything that looks like a sure win on this year's schedule considering they were 1-11 last year, so a few wins would probably be a success. But the Colorado of the late 80s early 90s would probably go 10-2 or better against this schedule. They aren't playing in the Big Ten East or SEC West.
I didn't mean to give the impression I don't like him. I'm just speculating on how the grind of responsibility (such a huge portion of a HC job isn't football) will wear on him. There are a few exceptions, but great athletes aren't usually the most patient coaches. Prime was/is a handfull.
It'll be interesting to see how he handles athletes who may be a lot like him. :cool:

Except coaches do not decide who gets NIL.
I’d differ with you on that one. At their core NIL’s are just newly legitimate bag men. For decades coaches have passed the word on to their bag men as to who should be compensated. Usually via third parties to avoid culpability. While it’s true that coaches aren’t directly handling these issues, often they have a major, but discreet input. It would be highly disruptive to team Chemistry and morale to allow benefits to be distributed without guidance.

Not that it never happens as you described, but it would be an outlier. Head coaches of major college programs are control freaks. That’s the nature of the job. You really think that they’re not going to control this juicy new fruit?

We have a very, very good coach with a strong reputation (NBA - Celtics) who is already raising bar of recruits.

Btw, Notre Dane is trying to poach him as we speak. And ND has a strong BBall history.

Reactions: 81b&w
I didn't mean to give the impression I don't like him. I'm just speculating on how the grind of responsibility (such a huge portion of a HC job isn't football) will wear on him. There are a few exceptions, but great athletes aren't usually the most patient coaches. Prime was/is a handfull.
It'll be interesting to see how he handles athletes who may be a lot like him. :cool:
Good points. It's definitely going to be entertaining IMO. I could see any outcome from crashing and burning (either due to on-field results or inability to deal with the non-football aspects of coaching at a P5 school as you mention) to having a championship-level program.

Reactions: marshall23
#PatEwing is no John Thompson. Juan Howard shows potential but relies on Phil Martelli as a mentor. Mike Woodson was a solid hire for IU.

Those ties are for Alums which we just don't have. Somewhere down the line Dan Earl may grow into the job.

Even a guy like Chris Collins has his father's sidekick Brian James as a Special Assistant. So somewhere real coaching is needed.

#PatEwing is no John Thompson. Juan Howard shows potential but relies on Phil Martelli as a mentor. Mike Woodson was a solid hire for IU.

Those ties are for Alums which we just don't have. Somewhere down the line Dan Earl may grow into the job.

Even a guy like Chris Collins has his father's sidekick Brian James as a Special Assistant. So somewhere real coaching is needed.
Howard has had some success, but Michigan fans are mixed on him…I was think about guys like Drexler, Ewing, Chris Mullin, Mark Price, Stackhouse, Manning, etc. that mostly flamed out. At this level, being able to coach goes further than a “big name”.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
ADVERTISEMENT