ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches Poll 11/13

LandoComando

Nov 29, 2021
Reactions: NedFromYork
I will add--I think we should be ahead of UNC/Utah as well but that will take care of itself

Reactions: 1AA
As I said yesterday--we'd jump Ole Miss and Oregon
And Minnesota wouldn't be ranked lol

Coaches Poll top 25​

1. Georgia (61)
2. Ohio State (1)
3. Michigan (1)
4. TCU
5. Tennessee
6. USC
7. LSU
8. Alabama
9. Clemson
10. Utah
11. North Carolina
12. Penn State
13. Oregon
14. Ole Miss
15. Washington
16. UCLA
17. Kansas State
18. UCF
19. Notre Dame
20. Florida State
21. Cincinnati
22. Tulane
23. Coastal Carolina
24. Oklahoma State
25. NC State
Notre Dame quietly sneaks up #19 after beating Navy by 3.

Notre Dame quietly sneaks up #19 after beating Navy by 3.
To their credit, Notre Dame has beaten UNC and Clemson handing each of them their only loss. On the flip side they list to Marshall and 3-7 Stanford. Pretty odd and makes it tough to say how good they really are.

They’ll probably lose to BC and then go and beat USC or something

Reactions: lazydave841
Someone will need to explain the AP poll conference breakdown for me.

SEC- 4 TOP 10 teams including 2 of their 3 two loss teams. 5 top 25 teams.

PAC12 who $hit the bed this week has 2 top 10 teams including a 2 loss Utah who has the one of the weakest schedules of all 2 loss teams. And get this 6 top 25 teams! The most of any conference including 3 loss Oregon St whose only power 5 win over a team with a winning record was 6-4 Washington st. What a joke! Are there more AP votes on the west coast?

ACC with 1 top 10 in Clemson and 3 total top 25 (4 if you count Notre Dame) including 3 loss FSU at #20. ACC does have two 3 loss unranked teams in NC ST and Duke.

Big12 with TCU at #4 and 3 total top 25 teams including both of their 3 loss teams.

Big10 with 2 top 10 undefeated teams and only 3 top 25 teams total. Only power 5 conference with all 3 loss teams unranked (Minnesota and Illinois).

So the only 2 conferences with unranked 3 loss teams are ACC (2 of 3) and Big10 (2 of 2). Meanwhile the PAC12 and Big12 get their 3 loss teams ranked.

To their credit, Notre Dame has beaten UNC and Clemson handing each of them their only loss. On the flip side they list to Marshall and 3-7 Stanford. Pretty odd and makes it tough to say how good they really are.

Well the ACC is absolutely horrible if that helps to explain it. Also, UNC and Clemson have had narrow in conference escapes somewhat aided by the officiating.

Reactions: bison13
I like the AP Poll better and not just because we're higher. It seems more realistic.
The coaches poll serves pretty much no purpose anymore, and the premise is silly to begin with. Coaches aren't watching other teams games, they are worrying about their own programs and opponents. The coaches probably just delegate this nonsensical poll ranking to someone on the staff and ignore it.

Reactions: psu00
as much as people are down on Franklin, he'd have us in a 12-team playoff this year
It will be interesting to see what the rules are with a 12 team playoff.

They’ll have locked in the 5 conference champs and a group of 5 team. That leaves 6 spots left.

Of those last 6 spots, I assume:
- 2 SEC
- 1-2 Big Ten
- 2-3 between ACC, Big 12, PAC, and Notre Dame.

That would mean 2-3 Big Ten teams likely in most years.

How the Big Ten arranges the conference with the addition of USC and UCLA will be interesting and have significant playoff fallout. This year Penn St would be the 3rd team from the Big Ten. When USC and UCLA are added the fight for that last spot becomes very competitive (especially if Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan State get back to respectability).

Last edited:
Someone will need to explain the AP poll conference breakdown for me.

Big10 with 2 top 10 undefeated teams and only 3 top 25 teams total. Only power 5 conference with all 3 loss teams unranked (Minnesota and Illinois).

So the only 2 conferences with unranked 3 loss teams are ACC (2 of 3) and Big10 (2 of 2). Meanwhile the PAC12 and Big12 get their 3 loss teams ranked.
Look at the quality of wins of those other Big Ten teams. No sane person thought Minnesota or Illinois would be ranked today.

Very hard team to gauge. I could see that scenario playing out.

Look at the quality of wins of those other Big Ten teams. No sane person thought Minnesota or Illinois would be ranked today.

Pac 12 cannibalizing itself. USC is their only playoff hope and that's going to require a TCU loss.

Big 10 West rotating losses without beating the better teams. Illinois collapse hurts too.

Reactions: psu00

They do have a very talented roster but I think their new head coach was not ready at the beginning of the year. He took his lumps and is starting to figure it out though as mentioned the ACC is not that tough so I think people are over estimating the North Carolina and Clemson wins

Reactions: The Spin Meister

Coastal Carolina (per Massey Composite) lost to #48 Liberty, beat #103 S. Miss, by 3 and hasn't played at team in the top 50. Yet, they're ranked. What sane person voted for that?

Coastal Carolina (per Massey Composite) lost to #48 Liberty, beat #103 S. Miss, by 3 and hasn't played at team in the top 50. Yet, they're ranked. What sane person voted for that?
They're 9-1 and there's very few decent teams this year
They actually lost to ODU not Liberty which is far worse but 9-1 trumps but that's better than 7-3 with your best win being...Michigan State? If Minnesota wins out they'll be ranked but they weren't going from not even getting votes to ranked by beating Northwestern

They're 9-1 and there's very few decent teams this year
They actually lost to ODU not Liberty which is far worse but 9-1 trumps but that's better than 7-3 with your best win being...Michigan State? If Minnesota wins out they'll be ranked but they weren't going from not even getting votes to ranked by beating Northwestern

So, in your world, it doesn't matter who you play, or how you look doing it, a long as you win. Gotcha. It's not that I think Minny or Illinois should be ranked, it's the fact that you think that Coastal Carolina being ranked is sane, but anyone who thinks Minnesota or Illinois might be ranked is insane. But then again, you're a genius in your own mind.

So, in your world, it doesn't matter who you play, or how you look doing it, a long as you win. Gotcha. It's not that I think Minny or Illinois should be ranked, it's the fact that you think that Coastal Carolina being ranked is sane, but anyone who thinks Minnesota or Illinois might be ranked is insane. But then again, you're a genius in your own mind.
No, it matters who you play. 9-1 usually gets you ranked especially this year when after you get past the top 14 or there aren't any good teams.

I don't know why you think this is "a me" problem for understanding what the voters do.

As I said yesterday--we'd jump Ole Miss and Oregon
And Minnesota wouldn't be ranked lol

Coaches Poll top 25​

1. Georgia (61)
2. Ohio State (1)
3. Michigan (1)
4. TCU
5. Tennessee
6. USC
7. LSU
8. Alabama
9. Clemson