ADVERTISEMENT

College Football is so boring now

NittanyLionRoar

May 17, 2011
The future of college football, as it’s currently structured, ensures it’s the same few teams at the top every year. In fact, there will be a very specific pecking order like this the whole way down the rankings where the predictor of success won’t be heart, coaching acumen, experience, loyalty, etc…but simply NIL wallet size.

I used to think it was bad before but at least over a long enough time period there would be turnover in which teams were great or the occasional surprise Cinderella underdog breaking through. Now, we already know what teams are going to be good by who can buy the best players. Soon, the good coaches at tier 2 schools won’t be able to compete and will need to either move up to better NIL schools or fade away. I am afraid many coaches will be calling it quits.

Don’t get me wrong—I believe the players should be paid for all they do for the university. The NCAA and these universities reaped their financial success far too long. But we need rules…like make it similar to the NFL with salary caps, contracts, and a structured free agency. That would level the playing field a bit.

Restrictions on NIL is almost impossible. Had these programs simply agreed to play players decades ago we'd be in a lot better shape.

I also don't think the top tier changes much at all. I believe people are just worried we can't keep up but that won't be an issue.

Until the top division becomes a 2 conference league you can still see teams like Arizona Utah TCU etc make a decent run as they only need one win to be in the semis.

And, for really the first time a G5 team is assured a spot. Will they win in playoff? Probably not but they'll get a shot

keep-your-spirits-up-dont-loose-hope.gif

Reactions: Obliviax
Yeah I have no illusions about NIL being restricted, NFL players get it too, we just need a system to promote fairness…like enforce schools needing to pay the players a salary and cap it, make the players sign contracts. That will go a long way.

You should record episodes of the view and watch those Saturdays. RHWofATL?

Lol.

What makes the NFL so popular is revenue sharing and college draft and the schedule favoring the worst teams. It’s simply more competitive than other sports and college. Doesn’t matter if the team is in a smaller town or poorer.

College football needs to figure it out.

Reactions: Kasparaitis
What makes the NFL so popular is revenue sharing and college draft and the schedule favoring the worst teams. It’s simply more competitive than other sports and college. Doesn’t matter if the team is in a smaller town or poorer.

College football needs to figure it out.
And the only way to do that is to limit the top level to 2 conferences--which will happen sooner than later

Reactions: b&w1987
Oh and this isn’t even to mention how they keep “shortening” games only to fill the 4 hours with more commercials. What percent of games are actually game anymore?

Okay, question about NIL. Let’s say PSU is making a run for the playoff. Could OSU contact Trey Wallace (for example) and offer a big payday for him to sit the rest of the season with a guaranteed transfer spot…right before the PSU/OSU game?

Or let’s say Oregon is on the cusp too and loses their QB to injury…can they pay to sit Allar and offer him a big payday to transfer?

Or all Bama needs to sneak in is PSU to lose, so they do this with Singleton/Allen?

Okay, question about NIL. Let’s say PSU is making a run for the playoff. Could OSU contact Trey Wallace (for example) and offer a big payday for him to sit the rest of the season with a guaranteed transfer spot…right before the PSU/OSU game?
no lol

You sure? Why not? Seems like there’s nothing stopping them.
How? You're not making sense
That's like asking if an NFL player can take money to throw a game
You're so paranoid about change that you're making up scenarios that aren't even possible
He's not in the portal--no one from Ohio State or on their behalf can contact him
Your scenario could have always happened in theory

How? You're not making sense
That's like asking if an NFL player can take money to throw a game
You're so paranoid about change that you're making up scenarios that aren't even possible
He's not in the portal--no one from Ohio State or on their behalf can contact him
Your scenario could have always happened in theory
JF was one of the MANY coaches this off season to say teams are contacting whoever they want whenever they want. Even if they’re not “supposed” to. So again, what’s stopping teams for jockeying like this if nothing is preventing it?

JF was one of the MANY coaches this off season to say teams are contacting whoever they want whenever they want. Even if they’re not “supposed” to. So again, what’s stopping teams for jockeying like this if nothing is preventing it?
My head hurts...you're essentially claiming Ohio State is going to illegally contact someone then pay someone not on their roster to sit out. That could have always happened. Since the beginning of time

Disagree with the OP. I love college football and it is as popular as ever.

I mean, the OP thinks someone from Ohio State is going to pay Wallace so he doesn't play
Yesterday was great and the season will only get better--especially in November with teams fighting for seeding

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT