ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Polls. I guess H2H does not count for much. (link)

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
Identical records but Oklahoma State ranked ahead of TCU? By one position no less! Same with USC ahead of Wazzu. One might say, but Wazzu has to blow-out losses against unranked teams. Well then how does that explain Ohio State being in the top 10?! Iowa was unranked when they beat them. It will be interesting to see how the BCS committee handles it tomorrow.

I think I can honestly say that I liked the old pre-BCS formula (or non-formula) better. There seems to be too much BS justification today. A talking head will say so and so should be in with 1 loss (or even 2) because of reason X, then search long and hard to come up with some arbitrary reason why another 1 loss team shouldn't be in. Head to head is a perfect case. Last year it didn't matter, this year it does. Last year, a blow out loss was an eliminator, this year, 2 blowouts still get you in, because, you know... your AD is on the committee.

I think I can honestly say that I liked the old pre-BCS formula (or non-formula) better. There seems to be too much BS justification today. A talking head will say so and so should be in with 1 loss (or even 2) because of reason X, then search long and hard to come up with some arbitrary reason why another 1 loss team shouldn't be in. Head to head is a perfect case. Last year it didn't matter, this year it does. Last year, a blow out loss was an eliminator, this year, 2 blowouts still get you in, because, you know... your AD is on the committee.

Which "talking head" has a vote to select teams? The only difference between then and now is different groups of people making the choices.

The teams that get preferential rankings seem to be those that have highly ranked recruiting classes and/or high-profile coaches. They are teams that can go out and dominate just about anyone if they decide to show up. So it is more about the maximum potential of a team and less about what happened in past games. Just listen to the arguments. You'll hear "best team" more than "best record."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT