ADVERTISEMENT

Collegiate Duals 2.0

pish69

Jan 11, 2016
NJ--The Shore
Getting excited for Monday! Looks like we have North Carolina and Central Michigan on Monday. I am praying we get Iowa State Tuesday..I really want to see Van Ness vs Paniro Johnson match..I think Shane's gonna tee him up..Paniro aggresive going to play right into where Shane is good.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cornell as there's some good matchups there as well..but I'd love to see Iowa State day 2

Last edited:
Getting excited for Monday! Looks like we have North Carolina and Central Michigan on Monday. I am praying we get Iowa State Tuesday..I really want to see Van Ness vs Paniro Johnson match..I think Shane's gonna tee him up..Paniro aggresive going to play right into where Shane is good.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cornell as there's some good matchups there as well..but I'd love to see Iowa State day 2
I’m torn between wanting to see SVN vs Paniro and Beau vs Swiderski or the pure spectacle of RBY vs Vito. I guess if Yianni isn’t wrestling I might lean to wanting to see ISU but it’s close.

I’m torn between wanting to see SVN vs Paniro and Beau vs Swiderski or the pure spectacle of RBY vs Vito. I guess if Yianni isn’t wrestling I might lean to wanting to see ISU but it’s close.
Forgot about that one!! Now definetly want to see ISU

I’m gonna bitch and moan and spend the money and enjoy watching it live.

ace2e3d5-1939-4749-b530-800e832415e0_text.gif

If I had to guess they will sit Vito if Penn State gets Cornell. Just a feeling..
… to protect the seed.

Is it possible if the do wrestle and RBY wins, Vito falls to the 4 or 5 seed and then they have to wrestle again in the semis at nationals? Perversely, is it then better for both wrestlers that he sits?

… to protect the seed.

Is it possible if the do wrestle and RBY wins, Vito falls to the 4 or 5 seed and then they have to wrestle again in the semis at nationals? Perversely, is it then better for both wrestlers that he sits?
I don't get this if it's seed protection. Arujau beat McGee 6-1 at CKLV, and they face again on 1/4. Nobody else is a threat for a top 3 seed.

Also, if Arujau were to beat RBY, then he'd likely be the 1 seed and miss Fix in the semis.

Will the event include the maximum 1lb weight allowance on day 2?

If so, might it give one wrestler an advantage over the other on day 2?

UNC got beaten by App State tonight.

If they wrestle like that in the Collegiate Duals, they might get blanked by Penn State.

If I had to guess they will sit Vito if Penn State gets Cornell. Just a feeling..
I can't recall Cornell sitting anyone, ever, to protect a seed. Can you? History shows they try to win important dual meets: I remember Gabe Dean, Darmstadt, and Nahshon all wrestling when they shouldn't have (the first two when sick, and the latter up a weight class: all lost). Last year, Vito was on record to be staying at 125 before Spencer bailed.

To carry it one step further, you will need to be a Rokfin subscriber, which is now $15 a month, and you will need to pay a $15 pay-per-view fee for this event.
I'll pay it. And promptly cancel rokfin Tuesday night. I subscribed during the pandemic, and it's been a waste of money for the past year or so. Now anything good requires extra payment. Simply not worth it.

I'll actually side with @NothingMeaningful here for once! Vito has nothing to lose really by wrestling RBY. He's the lower ranked wrestler so the "Vito is ducking RBY" narrative isn't really valid, it's the HIGHER seed that ducks, not vice versa.
Cornell kids have always suited up and given it a go. They generally wrestle with little fear. It is almost like they know that if they lose they can appeal the loss to the courts for a reversal.

I'm looking forward to seeing our new starters (I include Beau at 141) face tougher competition. Kaylor at 125 and Humphreys at 157 are the only top-10 kids any of them have seen so far.

Van Ness, in particular, will get a good test. Sherman #14, Lovett #20, and then either Yanni or Johnson #5.

Reactions: Ja1339
Cornell kids have always suited up and given it a go. They generally wrestle with little fear. It is almost like they know that if they lose they can appeal the loss to the courts for a reversal.
Yeah, but a reversal is only 2 points. That may not be enough.

Reactions: Ja1339
Haven’t heard anything but I’d be shocked if he doesn’t go. I mean honestly, why come back if you wouldn’t want to compete in a cool event like this!
In interviews he’s talked about not competing in every early season duals. Also has mentioned that the weight cut has been getting tougher on him.

In interviews he’s talked about not competing in every early season duals. Also has mentioned that the weight cut has been getting tougher on him.
Understood..and if we were wrestling Sacred Heart at their place, I'd expect him to stay home. This is a cool event and in NO which is a fun place to be. Like I said I'd be shocked if he missed this.

As far as weight cut..I don't buy it. RBY is one of the most disciplined atheletes (as are most PSU guys). These kids are elite atheletes..this isn't PD3 we're talking about:)

Yanni is starting to look like a mere mortal these days, at least just a little bit.

He won't hit his peak until he's been in the NLWC for a couple of years. It won't surprise me at all if that happens. I have always said he is Gumby dammit, and with all that talent he could become a world champ, unless Nick Lee has anything to say about it

A few recent headscrathcers in free and folk aside, he is still my choice for a national championship this year, by a wide margin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT