ADVERTISEMENT

Conferences weight in rankings

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
ACC: #5 Clemson; #10, #16, #21 one loss teams WF, Syracuse, and UNC; #24 two loss NC ST; 0 unranked two loss teams

BIG12: #7 TCU; #9 one loss OK St; #22 two loss K St; 0 unranked two loss teams

BIG10: #2 Ohio St and #4 Michigan; #13 and #17 one loss PSU and Illinois; Maryland unranked with 2 losses

PAC12: #8, #10, and #12 one loss Oregon, USC, and UCLA; #14 two loss Utah; unranked two loss Oregon St and Washington

SEC: #1 Georgia and #3 Tennessee; #6; #15 one loss Alabama and Ole Miss; #18, #19, #25 and two loss LSU, Kentucky, and S. CAR; 0 unranked with 2 losses

So some things jump out at me,

1) Every SEC is ranked higher because SEC. So they get the highest 1 loss team (above 1 undefeated team with 2 wins over ranked teams) and 3 for 3 with their 2 loss teams. They don't just get favored nation treatment as the top conference, literally every single one of their teams is pushed higher because SEC.

2) For whatever reason, the ACC and the PAC12 has their 1 loss and 2 loss teams ranked higher than Big 10 teams with the same number of losses. Why is the Big 10 considered the 4th best conference according to rankings bias?

ABC prime time game, but we got a 3rd tier ESPN announce crew. We can dislike Herby all we want, but he and Fowler are the #1 crew followed by Blackledge and his pbp guy.

Reactions: Online Persona
The Big Ten is considered the 4th conference by most rating systems
SEC, Big XII then Pac XII--primarily because after the big 3 the Big Ten is really really bad this year.

it is clear that espn started burying b1g coverage almost instantly
As an example with Gameday not coming to PSU this weekend (clearly the best game of the weekend) and covering Deion instead. Only Big Ten team covered by Gameday so far was Notre Dame vs Ohio St.

That being said, I’m not sure how much ESPN covering conferences would impact ratings.

Reactions: Online Persona
Big 10 is a conference that has zero wins against decent competition outside of conference play. Hard to argue with the rankings.

As an example with Gameday not coming to PSU this weekend (clearly the best game of the weekend) and covering Deion instead. Only Big Ten team covered by Gameday so far was Notre Dame vs Ohio St.

That being said, I’m not sure how much ESPN covering conferences would impact ratings.
I’m sure that has more to do with them not having any BIG tv rights very soon.

FOX has their show at Happy Valley, right?
They both won't go to the same game.

So quick breakdown--if I get anything wrong tell me but P5 games for the Big Ten

Big Ten East
Penn State beat Auburn (1-0 SEC)
Rutgers beat Boston College (1-0 ACC)
Michigan State lost to Washington (0-1 Pac XII)
Indiana, Maryland, Michigan and Ohio State didn't play any (smh)

So a bottom 3 SEC and ACC team--yikes but bigger yikes with 4 teams playing a joke schedule

Big Ten West (here's where we get no credit)
Illinois beat Virginia (2-0 ACC)
Purdue lost to Syracuse (2-1 ACC)
Nebraska lost to Oklahoma (0-1 Big XII)
Wisconsin lost to Washington State (0-2 Pac XII)
Minnesota beat Colorado (1-2 Pac XII)
Iowa lost to Iowa State (0-2 Big XII)
Northwestern lost to Duke (2-2 ACC)

So
2-2 ACC (wins over UVa and BC)
1-0 SEC (win over Aurburn)
1-2 Pac XII (over over Colorado)
0-2 Big XII (no wins)

so our biggest P5 win as a conference is...3-4 Auburn or 3-4 Virginia--both of whom likely won't win 6 games

This is why we aren't respected as a conference right now. Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State are respected to some level simply based on being Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.

So quick breakdown--if I get anything wrong tell me but P5 games for the Big Ten

Big Ten East

So a bottom 3 SEC and ACC team--yikes but bigger yikes with 4 teams playing a joke schedule

So
0-2 Big XII (no wins)

so our biggest P5 win as a conference is...3-4 Auburn or 3-4 Virginia--both of whom likely won't win 6 games

This is why we aren't respected as a conference right now. Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State are respected to some level simply based on being Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.
Good post and makes more sense now.

Reactions: LandoComando

Big Ten East

So
0-2 Big XII (no wins)

I get the point, but you missed that Ohio State beat Notre Dame. They are universally considered a P5 team and certainly would be a significant to count for this endeavor.

Reactions: LandoComando
@doctornick @LongJakk
Good point about ND--I wasn't sure how to add them because I know some would say they aren't a P5 since they refuse to join a conference but I think adding them to the ACC is legit

ADVERTISEMENT