ADVERTISEMENT

Couple Questions About This Coming Weekend (1/20-1/22)

psumacw

Sep 18, 2017
I'm headed up to State College with my 4yo son for my delayed birthday weekend and we're super excited. I think I planned everything pretty well but wanted some expert opinions to see if I can make it better in any way.

We've got the Michigan dual at the BJC on Friday night. I splurged and got us what I thought were excellent seats, Section 120L, Row HH. I thought these would be the top of the lower section, but now I'm realizing that these will actually be on the floor. Will we actually be too low for my son to be able to see all of the action? Or do you think he'll be fine sitting on his own or maybe on my lap?

Saturday we're doing the All Sports Museum then both men's basketball and men's hockey at 2pm and 5pm respectively. I reserved parking in Stadium West for the basketball game but it says I only have 2 hours after the game to remove my car. Does anyone know the repercussions of leaving my car there until after the hockey game? Is it worth the risk of ticket or tow, or should I just pay the extra $5.50 and buy parking for the hockey game as well?

Sunday, I was planning on doing the Tavern brunch but I just went on their website and there's no reference to it anywhere, so I'm looking for recommendations for breakfast (we're doing Waffle Shop downtown on Saturday). Then we'll hopefully do the Discovery Space on Atherton before the dual unless anyone says that's a waste of time.

My last question is about any NLWC practices. My son has the book Wrestling the Alphabet and he's trying to get it signed by all of the wrestlers in it and it seems like 25% of them are currently at the NLWC so we're wondering if there is going to be any practices during the weekend that we could watch and maybe get some autographs. I tried using the Contact Us form on the NLWC website but haven't gotten a response so I'm hoping someone here might know something?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'm headed up to State College with my 4yo son for my delayed birthday weekend and we're super excited. I think I planned everything pretty well but wanted some expert opinions to see if I can make it better in any way.

We've got the Michigan dual at the BJC on Friday night. I splurged and got us what I thought were excellent seats, Section 120L, Row HH. I thought these would be the top of the lower section, but now I'm realizing that these will actually be on the floor. Will we actually be too low for my son to be able to see all of the action? Or do you think he'll be fine sitting on his own or maybe on my lap?

Saturday we're doing the All Sports Museum then both men's basketball and men's hockey at 2pm and 5pm respectively. I reserved parking in Stadium West for the basketball game but it says I only have 2 hours after the game to remove my car. Does anyone know the repercussions of leaving my car there until after the hockey game? Is it worth the risk of ticket or tow, or should I just pay the extra $5.50 and buy parking for the hockey game as well?

Sunday, I was planning on doing the Tavern brunch but I just went on their website and there's no reference to it anywhere, so I'm looking for recommendations for breakfast (we're doing Waffle Shop downtown on Saturday). Then we'll hopefully do the Discovery Space on Atherton before the dual unless anyone says that's a waste of time.

My last question is about any NLWC practices. My son has the book Wrestling the Alphabet and he's trying to get it signed by all of the wrestlers in it and it seems like 25% of them are currently at the NLWC so we're wondering if there is going to be any practices during the weekend that we could watch and maybe get some autographs. I tried using the Contact Us form on the NLWC website but haven't gotten a response so I'm hoping someone here might know something?

You can try Barrel 21 for brunch. It is a little salty but I can't really think of other brunches in town.

https://www.ottos-barrel.com/barrel-21-brunch

Reactions: psumacw

No advice, just a question, are you looking to adopt any more sons? How about a fairly self sufficient 59 year old?
Seriously, awesome weekend planned.

There's a newish breakfast place in Boalsburg that's pretty tasty, called "Breakfast on Boal" not a ton of seating, but less crowded than any of the waffle shops. They have a new mexican style green chili you can put on your Huevos, which is mighty rare in these parts (but mine is better).

A lot of places that used to do brunch regularly have stopped. You may want to call the American Ale House in toftrees--theirs is nice, when they have it. Federal Taphouse used to do one too, but I think not post-covid.

Reactions: tikk10
why do so many Rest close on Sundays .thats the biggest day for breakfast and brunch before and after church??

There's a newish breakfast place in Boalsburg that's pretty tasty, called "Breakfast on Boal" not a ton of seating, but less crowded than any of the waffle shops. They have a new mexican style green chili you can put on your Huevos, which is mighty rare in these parts (but mine is better).

A lot of places that used to do brunch regularly have stopped. You may want to call the American Ale House in toftrees--theirs is nice, when they have it. Federal Taphouse used to do one too, but I think not post-covid.

that breakfast on boal looks good, open at 7 even on sunday which fits a 4yo schedule. america ale house and federal taphouse both look like they're lunch only unfortunately. thanks for the recommendations!

Reactions: nerfstate

I saw PSU vs Ohio State from the floor seats at BJC in (I think) 2016 and thought the view was fine.

Are you sure you are on the floor? My seats have been in row HH (different section) since the BJC duals started and HH is the front (bottom) row of the stands-behind the rail. On my side of the BJC at least, it's the last row they don't fold under. Great sight line as you are level with the mat.

Thanks for the advice and recommendations so far, everybody! Keep them coming!

Do you think it's worth emailing Dave Hart from the NLWC directly about possible practices? His email is on the NLWC homepage so I don't think I'd be too out of line sending over that question, right?

Are you sure you are on the floor? My seats have been in row HH (different section) since the BJC duals started and HH is the front (bottom) row of the stands-behind the rail. On my side of the BJC at least, it's the last row they don't fold under. Great sight line as you are level with the mat.

no, not sure. i looked at the map on ticketmaster and saw it was the bottom row so i just assumed that would be feet on the floor. i definitely don't mind if we're elevated at all. thanks for the info!

Correct. And the mat is elevated a good 5-6 feet. Should be good seats. The floor seats begin with E or W. I used to get them until they plopped the pep band in the rows directly in front of me.

why do so many Rest close on Sundays .thats the biggest day for breakfast and brunch before and after church??
No one want to work so the restaurants open when staff agrees to work. When jobs become scarce this will change.

@psumacw

The Penn Stater has a brunch in The Garden restaurant. It's pretty good.

There is a Waffle Shop in Bellefonte that isn't nearly as crowded as the three in State College.

My favorite is the Kitchen Witch located about 30 minutes north in Howard, right at Bald Eagle State Park. After breakfast drive over to the Nature Inn located in the park and check it out. It's really nice there and you may get an eagle sighting. Make sure to go into the Inn and tell them you just want to look around.

After all of the above your boy will probably enjoy breakfast at McDonald's over the others.

Thanks for the advice and recommendations so far, everybody! Keep them coming!

Do you think it's worth emailing Dave Hart from the NLWC directly about possible practices? His email is on the NLWC homepage so I don't think I'd be too out of line sending over that question, right?
Dave Hart is such a great guy.

At this time there is no formal NLWC practice on Saturday but that does not mean individuals may come in to workout on their own.

Good luck with your son and his Alphabet book. I bought the same for my Granddaughter and was able to get a bunch of signatures at the Olympics Celebration the night before the NLWC Golf outing. However that doesn't help you this weekend.

Chances are he would rather have a Samsung tablet Infront of him.. I know my 4year old would/has at rec hall on many occasions.

Dave Hart is such a great guy.

At this time there is no formal NLWC practice on Saturday but that does not mean individuals may come in to workout on their own.

Good luck with your son and his Alphabet book. I bought the same for my Granddaughter and was able to get a bunch of signatures at the Olympics Celebration the night before the NLWC Golf outing. However that doesn't help you this weekend.

How does that work? Am I allowed to just walk into Lorenzo and look around? Is there any particular time of morning that you think I'd have better luck?

Maybe I'll have to take up golf for next summer...

Chances are he would rather have a Samsung tablet Infront of him.. I know my 4year old would/has at rec hall on many occasions.

oh certainly. we go to upenn duals at the palestra and he's usually good for about 6-7 bouts before he's hounding me for it, but PSU with their clear bag policy is going to make it harder for me to hide it from him.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
No one want to work so the restaurants open when staff agrees to work. When jobs become scarce this will change.
maybe they all went to church??LOL or maybe all the people gave all their money to the church and can't afford breakfast??they can always find young people to work!!

You can leave your book at the wrestling office and request that all team members sign it, when they get it done, you can either pick it up or make arrangements for them to mail it to you. My family has dropped off pictures for signatures multiple times, without a hitch.

You can leave your book at the wrestling office and request that all team members sign it, when they get it done, you can either pick it up or make arrangements for them to mail it to you. My family has dropped off pictures for signatures multiple times, without a hitch.

that's amazing! does that include NLWC guys or just PSU?

that's amazing! does that include NLWC guys or just PSU?
I have only requested signatures for PSU college wrestlers, my mother had Cael sign a picture. The people in the wrestling office are so accommodating, that I don’t think there would be any issues with getting NLWC member signatures, but I’ve never asked. Also, if your at the wrestling room and they are present, college or NLWC members will let you take a picture with your boy, at the drop of hat.

Last edited:
Don’t they put the mat up on a stage? I can’t remember.

I have only requested signatures for PSU college wrestlers, my mother had Cael sign a picture. The people in the wrestling office are so accommodating, that I don’t think there would be any issues with getting NLWC member signatures, but I’ve never asked. Also, if your at the wrestling room and they are present, college or NLWC members will let you take a picture with your boy, at the drop of hat.

that sounds awesome. do you happen to know the hours for the wrestling office? and is it pretty obvious where the office is within lorenzo (i've never been inside)? thanks so much for your help so far!

So I just got the word from the Mrs. that we can head to SC earlier tomorrow than I originally planned. I am thinking we will be able to hit a local watering spot for a bite and to chat with anyone going early. Thoughts on a place? I believe @82bordeaux was talking Local Whisky for Iowa pre-meet and we have plans for dinner on Saturday at the Tavern.

Anyone have thoughts or preference between BRGR, Bill Pickles, or Federal Tap House? Or Doggies, only drawback there is food. I believe they have an arrangement with a pizza shop but you have to walk over to pick it up and bring it back.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
So I just got the word from the Mrs. that we can head to SC earlier tomorrow than I originally planned. I am thinking we will be able to hit a local watering spot for a bite and to chat with anyone going early. Thoughts on a place? I believe @82bordeaux was talking Local Whisky for Iowa pre-meet and we have plans for dinner on Saturday at the Tavern.

Anyone have thoughts or preference between BRGR, Bill Pickles, or Federal Tap House?
I placed an order at BRGR last year that I'm still waiting on. It's ok though as I've dropped three weight classes.

Last edited:
that sounds awesome. do you happen to know the hours for the wrestling office? and is it pretty obvious where the office is within lorenzo (i've never been inside)? thanks so much for your help so far!
You’ll have to do some investigating, it’s been 4 years since I dropped anything off and I’m not sure what their hours are now.

Anyone have thoughts or preference between BRGR, Bill Pickles, or Federal Tap House? Or Doggies, only drawback there is food. I believe they have an arrangement with a pizza shop but you have to walk over to pick it up and bring it back.
They bring you the pizza at Doggies. I would consider stopping out to Happy Valley Brewing for dinner.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT