ADVERTISEMENT

Couple Questions About This Coming Weekend (1/20-1/22)

They bring you the pizza at Doggies. I would consider stopping out to Happy Valley Brewing for dinner.
I was trying to leave my vehicle downtown and walk from the hotel to dinner to BJC, but now my logistics have changed and I will be driving to the Eisenhower parking deck. I did go to Happy Valley Brewing a few years back for a BJC dual and it was SUPER busy, plus the drive up to BJC was very backed up. So bad that my son jumped out and walked the rest of the way so he wouldn't miss 125, I think we parked and barely made it in time.

How does that work? Am I allowed to just walk into Lorenzo and look around? Is there any particular time of morning that you think I'd have better luck?

Maybe I'll have to take up golf for next summer...
You can try to walk in. The last two times I stopped were around match time and the outer doors to the wrestling room were locked.

This is just an assumption that guys would work out in the morning but I could be totally wrong.

I do know as of yesterday there was no NLWC practice scheduled for Saturday.

Good luck. All of the Penn State/NLWC athletes and coaches are great and would gladly sign your book.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
There should be elementary wrestling Saturday morning with practice immediately afterwards.

I am assuming Penn State still has their elementary program. Mark McKnight used to run it.

Could always drive a few miles out of town and see Bo’s MMA gym and DT’s wrestling facility. They sit next to each other on the same lot.

I'm headed up to State College with my 4yo son for my delayed birthday weekend and we're super excited. I think I planned everything pretty well but wanted some expert opinions to see if I can make it better in any way.

We've got the Michigan dual at the BJC on Friday night. I splurged and got us what I thought were excellent seats, Section 120L, Row HH. I thought these would be the top of the lower section, but now I'm realizing that these will actually be on the floor. Will we actually be too low for my son to be able to see all of the action? Or do you think he'll be fine sitting on his own or maybe on my lap?

Saturday we're doing the All Sports Museum then both men's basketball and men's hockey at 2pm and 5pm respectively. I reserved parking in Stadium West for the basketball game but it says I only have 2 hours after the game to remove my car. Does anyone know the repercussions of leaving my car there until after the hockey game? Is it worth the risk of ticket or tow, or should I just pay the extra $5.50 and buy parking for the hockey game as well?

Sunday, I was planning on doing the Tavern brunch but I just went on their website and there's no reference to it anywhere, so I'm looking for recommendations for breakfast (we're doing Waffle Shop downtown on Saturday). Then we'll hopefully do the Discovery Space on Atherton before the dual unless anyone says that's a waste of time.

My last question is about any NLWC practices. My son has the book Wrestling the Alphabet and he's trying to get it signed by all of the wrestlers in it and it seems like 25% of them are currently at the NLWC so we're wondering if there is going to be any practices during the weekend that we could watch and maybe get some autographs. I tried using the Contact Us form on the NLWC website but haven't gotten a response so I'm hoping someone here might know something?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
This sounds beyond fabulous, you and your son will have a father-son weekend that neither of you will soon forget. I suggest taking lots of photos, selfies of the two of you especially to save those memories.

Then for us saps on this forum that like such things, please report back on your (and your son's) experience.

I'll try to update throughout the weekend. We got into town around 3:30 and headed to Lorenzo. It had a numberpad to keep the doors locked unless you knew the code so we just waited around for a bit and got some autographs from wrestlers going in or out. Only one from a wrestler featured in the book (Dake) but several NCAA champs signed for my son. I'll post a picture later if I can't figure out some of our non-starters signatures.

Checked into the hotel and off to dinner in a minute so we can leave for the BJC before too long. I got an email that Jordan East is going to be a mess to get into tonight...

I was up early for the Lock Haven match and noticed the doors were locked at Lorenzo. I figured it was a Covid fallout thing, as you could walk in before and watch the guys workout. Covid has changed a lot of things and not for the better.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
I was up early for the Lock Haven match and noticed the doors were locked at Lorenzo. I figured it was a Covid fallout thing, as you could walk in before and watch the guys workout. Covid has changed a lot of things and not for the better.
Rec Hall used to be a community gem. Sandusky put a huge stop to access. Any access that was left Covid protocols finished off.

Reactions: creamery freak
The Field said it was an hour wait to be seated to we bailed and ate at the stadium.

I thought our seats were great, but I heard the old grumps next to us saying they "aren't the best". We were front row behind a railing, about 3 feet off the floor so we could see over those with floor seats. Only issue in my mind was that the seats were oriented perpendicular to the basketball court and we were almost all the way in the corner, so we had to watch at like a 60 degree angle, but it was worth it.

Walking out to the snow was a treat for my son, he called it a wonderland. Not sure if I took the wrong exit out of the Jordan East, but they were directing everyone south to College when I really wanted to go north. Gave us an extra couple minutes to call my wife and my son got to tell her about his favorite wrestler's pin!

Took a while for my son to fall asleep, probably half because of the excitement and half the oreos I gave him when we got back to the hotel. Somehow his little body takes up about 80% of a king size bed. It was astounding how little room I had to sleep.

Fantastic day overall, hoping to have another one.

Waffle Shop downtown was exactly how I remembered it, which is a nice change of pace for downtown State College. Then we did shopping the way my wife usually does: buy a lot of stuff but "don't worry, it was all on sale".

Stopped in K2 Roots for an overpriced smoothie (it was good, but it wasn't $9 good) and my son said he didn't want a cookie. Went up to the toy store and after that he changed his mind so we went back to K2. While we were there, Levi Haines walked in! He was nice enough to wait around a couple minutes for us to go back to the car and get the book for him to sign. Really nice kid and I'm so happy for all the success he's having.

Quick Panera lunch cause that's what the kid wanted and I didn't want to argue with him then we were off to the All Sports Museum. I don't know what I thought was going to happen. It's still a museum and he's still 4 years old, so we were in and out in about 15 minutes.

Basketball game was good. The team had a good win against Nebraska and the refs. A lot better atmosphere than when I was a student; there were even people in the upper deck.

Hockey game was incredible. Largest crowd in the stadium's history and the student section was rocking. The team had a good come from behind win against the refs and Notre Dame then we stayed after to get some autographs from some of the players.

Now back at the hotel watching the birds game while my son switches between pretending to wrestle and pretending to play hockey. :)

The Field said it was an hour wait to be seated to we bailed and ate at the stadium.

I thought our seats were great, but I heard the old grumps next to us saying they "aren't the best". We were front row behind a railing, about 3 feet off the floor so we could see over those with floor seats. Only issue in my mind was that the seats were oriented perpendicular to the basketball court and we were almost all the way in the corner, so we had to watch at like a 60 degree angle, but it was worth it.

Walking out to the snow was a treat for my son, he called it a wonderland. Not sure if I took the wrong exit out of the Jordan East, but they were directing everyone south to College when I really wanted to go north. Gave us an extra couple minutes to call my wife and my son got to tell her about his favorite wrestler's pin!

Took a while for my son to fall asleep, probably half because of the excitement and half the oreos I gave him when we got back to the hotel. Somehow his little body takes up about 80% of a king size bed. It was astounding how little room I had to sleep.

Fantastic day overall, hoping to have another one.
I really enjoyed reading through this thread. Thank you.

oh certainly. we go to upenn duals at the palestra and he's usually good for about 6-7 bouts before he's hounding me for it, but PSU with their clear bag policy is going to make it harder for me to hide it from him.
Keep it under a jacket.. it works ;)

ADVERTISEMENT