ADVERTISEMENT

COVID gratuitous dumpster fire thread

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012
For all those spreaders who infect wrestling threads: here is your opportunity to practice social media distancing.

If you're not willing to wear a muzzle, er mask, then do your part to keep everyone else healthy.

Preemptive:

72884c7f98149bd422e488510277f2b0b9-20-dumpster-fire.rsquare.w700.gif

What’s everybody’s favorite way to eat COVID?

Do you barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, or saute it? Do you like COVID-kabobs, COVID creole, COVID gumbo? Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried? Or pineapple COVID, lemon COVID, coconut COVID, pepper COVID, COVID soup, COVID stew, COVID salad, COVID and potatoes, COVID burger, or COVID sandwich?

:)

Do you barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, or saute it? Do you like COVID-kabobs, COVID creole, COVID gumbo? Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried? Or pineapple COVID, lemon COVID, coconut COVID, pepper COVID, COVID soup, COVID stew, COVID salad, COVID and potatoes, COVID burger, or COVID sandwich?

Fauci is partial to Covid broth (thin enough to drink though straw hole in mask)
The CDC recomends lemon covid, (but thats subject to change)
Trump prefers plain Covid (maskless of course)

True story: a number of years ago, my friend Steve and I got kicked out of one of Philly's best restaurants.

They had squab on the menu. After a few homeless-eating-pigeon jokes, we started naming pigeon meals.

Some that I remember: Kentucky Fried Pigeon. Pigeon a la king. Pigeon paprikash. Pigeon stroganoff. Pigeon Parmigiana. Pigeon cacciatore.

IIRC the one that got us run was Pigeon-a-Roni. At that point, neither of us could breathe from laughter.

I'm going to consistently take this thread off topic. For instance:
Whenever this comes up, I like to take the opportunity to point out that Chris Bohn was in our district, and he was a total buzzsaw. Every year one of my teammates would get tortured by him. It's kind of a shame that he never got to be a state champ. Kolat was just in another realm.

Covid - like revenge- is a meal best served cold!

Next topic. The US has the fool's Gold Medal for Covid locked up.

4% of the world's population but 21% of the world's deaths.

That's the real dumpster fire.

The only question is who finishes second.

Oh, and medals are awarded by counting up from the bottom (not from the top down).

Next topic. The US has the fool's Gold Medal for Covid locked up.

4% of the world's population but 21% of the world's deaths.

That's the real dumpster fire.

The only question is who finishes second.

Oh, and medals are awarded by counting up from the bottom (not from the top down).

I knew I could count on you!

tenor.gif

Last edited:
dunkej01 quoted a tweet with this data:

EiyOdT8WsAArebr

Thanks, dunke! Your table of data is helpful in dispelling the misconception that regular adults are somehow *way* less affected by COVID than old adults. Your table shows that COVID affects all adult ages ~similarly much, with especially little difference among ages past 45.

For example, the table shows that people aged 35-44 had their ~likelihood of dying in the very near future increase by a factor of 6.5% while people aged 65 and over had their ~likelihood of dying in the very near future increase by a factor of 11%, due to COVID.

Even for the youngest adults, people aged 18-29, their ~likelihood of dying in the very near future increased by a factor of 2.2%, which is less but still not *way* less than the factor of 11% for 65+ year olds (i.e., is still the same order of magnitude).

In other words, if dying is a tax, and the tax brackets are based on age, then under COVID Tax Reform, the tax rate for every bracket is increased by its own COVID factor, and the COVID factors don’t differ *way* much across the brackets.

[ Showing work:
6.5% ~= 6.1 / (100 - 6.1)
11% ~= 9.9 / (100 - 9.9)
2.2% ~= 2.2 / (100 - 2.2),
all under a simplifying assumption, not quite justified for any one age group, but perhaps justifiable for comparing across age groups. In fact, without the simplifying assumption, the age group percentages should probably be *more* similar. ]

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier Lion
The biggest problem is cases and deaths are higher now than they were in April. Let that sink in. Five months later and we are doing worse. And that's with restrictions.

Wanted to reply to this here and not the other thread...but this is wrong. (Confirmed) Cases are up vs April, but deaths aren’t.

And while there are still restrictions, there were a lot more in April (rightfully so).

Just wear a mask people and there will likely be less restrictions.

Reactions: Dogwelder
You want to hear the idiocy of how PSU is handling Covid-19 on campus? My youngest daughter is a junior living in the dorms because she was planning on spending spring semester abroad. Thursday her roommate (who goes out and parties every weekend with random groups of people) tested positive. So my daughter was given two instant tests Thursday and tested negative. So now she is in Eastview in quarantine for 2 weeks. But here is the rub. She was forced to spend Thursday night in her dorm with her roommate that had tested positive, had a fever and chills. So my daughter had to spend 14 hours in a 12x14 box with a symptomatic positive person after she tested negative twice. My bitchy attorney wife is working on this one. One thing is for sure. She's not moving back in with that idiot in 2 weeks. That I can guarantee.

Good demonstration that some people don't mind being lied to & apparently many are impressed by it.

We have to also remember that the numbers being put out there by any organization are the absolute worst case scenario for the infected to death ratio. The infected category reflects only those people who have been tested and tested positive. That category does not include those who were sick and did not get tested but would have been positive, as well as those who were not sick but would have tested positive. In other words, the denominator in the equation should be much larger. Several peered reviewed studies have been conducted that show that there are 10x as many infected that fall into those last two groups than those who have been confirmed as infected. So in essence, the chart above should have the decimals moved to the left by one position to provide a more accurate death ratio picture. It doesn't change the relative ratios per age group, but it certainly changes the scare factor.

... and my comments don't even address how the deaths are counted, such as counting a motorcycle accident death as a covid death because the person tested positive posthumously. Not really a covid death.

You want to hear the idiocy of how PSU is handling Covid-19 on campus? My youngest daughter is a junior living in the dorms because she was planning on spending spring semester abroad. Thursday her roommate (who goes out and parties every weekend with random groups of people) tested positive. So my daughter was given two instant tests Thursday and tested negative. So now she is in Eastview in quarantine for 2 weeks. But here is the rub. She was forced to spend Thursday night in her dorm with her roommate that had tested positive, had a fever and chills. So my daughter had to spend 14 hours in a 12x14 box with a symptomatic positive person after she tested negative twice. My bitchy attorney wife is working on this one. One thing is for sure. She's not moving back in with that idiot in 2 weeks. That I can guarantee.

Bordeaux, I love your posts. But this thread and this post I need to point something out and ask for clarification.

You said your "youngest" daughter. We on the board all know when you and the wife have that 6th child, another girl, that designation will change.

Move that boat to Raystown Lake. She can live on it, keep the sail up for social distancing and possibly get credit for a gym class.

In my old age I get confused easily with sentence structure. When you said " she is not moving back in with that idiot ", were you referring to your lovely wife, you, the thoughtful roommate, the administration or me and my household? My kids left the nest, bedrooms are available, the wife is a native Erie person but morning classes would be a bitch with that 3 hr. drive.

What a mess. I seriously wish you the best.

We have to also remember that the numbers being put out there by any organization are the absolute worst case scenario for the infected to death ratio. The infected category reflects only those people who have been tested and tested positive. That category does not include those who were sick and did not get tested but would have been positive, as well as those who were not sick but would have tested positive. In other words, the denominator in the equation should be much larger. Several peered reviewed studies have been conducted that show that there are 10x as many infected that fall into those last two groups than those who have been confirmed as infected. So in essence, the chart above should have the decimals moved to the left by one position to provide a more accurate death ratio picture. It doesn't change the relative ratios per age group, but it certainly changes the scare factor.

... and my comments don't even address how the deaths are counted, such as counting a motorcycle accident death as a covid death because the person tested positive posthumously. Not really a covid death.
I guess that they are all JUST NUMbers until it hits you or Your family. Such courage!

Reactions: ccdiver
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT