ADVERTISEMENT

COVID Point of No Return

SoParkLion

Sep 23, 2001
Calculates when each state needs to go into full lock-down to avoid overfilling the hospital beds in that state.

Act Now

Fauci said this weekend he expects the mortality rate to end up ~ 1%. In a different interview, he said half infected in the USA. Do the math. 340m x.5 x 1% = 1,700,000 peeps

Last edited:
Fauci said this weekend he expects the mortality rate to end up ~ 1%. In a different interview, he said half infected in the USA. Do the math. 340m x 1% = 3,400,000.
His quote about the 50% a bit out of context; doesn’t take into account the positive impacts of the lockdown, happening in much of the US now. Also, your math is wrong. Assuming his projection of 50% is correct, you’ve doubled the count for those who would die. The mortality rate is number of deaths/number of Covid cases.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
His quote about the 50% a bit out of context; doesn’t take into account the positive impacts of the lockdown, happening in much of the US now. Also, your math is wrong. Assuming his projection of 50% is correct, you’ve doubled the count for those who would die. The mortality rate is number of deaths/number of Covid cases.
Thanks. You are correct, I'll change my post.

Fauci said this weekend he expects the mortality rate to end up ~ 1%. In a different interview, he said half infected in the USA. Do the math. 340m x.5 x 1% = 1,700,000 peeps

Did he say whether the 1% projection is based on deaths/confirmed cases (which is how we currently calculate case fatality rate), or deaths/likely cases (to include those who haven't been confirmed)? I'm guessing he didn't.

Right now, the United States is a tad bit higher than 1%. ~35,000 confirmed cases and ~500 deaths. So, about 1.5%. But when you factor in those who have it but haven't been tested, that number is almost certainly dramatically lower.

Just curious if he made that distinction.

Did he suggest that 1% would be based on confirmed cases (which is what the case fatality rate is), or whether he suspects the true CFR would be 1%?

Right now, the United States is a tad bit higher than 1%. ~35,000 confirmed cases and ~500 deaths. So, about 1.5%. But when you factor in those who have it but haven't been tested, I'd be willing to be that number is dramatically lower.

He said that the worldwide rate was at 2.5 to 3% but is coming down. Two factors are lack of testing and improved best practices. His thought was, without the emergence of a miracle drug, it would settle right around 1%. Later a different expert said 50% infection rate, not Fauci. But it was universally accepted. So if you accept those two figures as correct, we are looking down the barrel at 1,700,000.

Just to give perspective, the USA lost just under 500,000 in WW2.

He said that the worldwide rate was at 2.5 to 3% but is coming down. Two factors are lack of testing and improved best practices. His thought was, without the emergence of a miracle drug, it would settle right around 1%. Later a different expert said 50% infection rate, not Fauci. But it was universally accepted. So if you accept those two figures as correct, we are looking down the barrel at 1,700,000.

Makes sense.

The thing is, when you say that half the population could be infected and you apply the case fatality rate to that statistic, it's misleading.

How many Americans RIGHT NOW probably have COVID-19? It sure as hell isn't the 35,000 number we see. It's probably well over 100,000. Maybe even 350,000 -- 10x the confirmed number. Hard to say without widespread testing of both symptomatic and asymptomatic populations.

So, the true fatality rate is probably far less than 1%. And if 170 million Americans get it, applying the 1% rate to that figure produces an overestimation of how many will die.

Regardless, if half of Americans get it, we're looking at hundreds of thousands dead. Still catastrophic.

Makes sense.

The thing is, when you say that half the population could be infected and you apply the case fatality rate to that statistic, it's misleading.

How many Americans RIGHT NOW probably have COVID-19? It sure as hell isn't the 35,000 number we see. It's probably well over 100,000. Maybe even 350,000 -- 10x the confirmed number. Hard to say without widespread testing of both symptomatic and asymptomatic populations.

So, the true fatality rate is probably far less than 1%. And if 170 million Americans get it, applying the 1% rate to that figure produces an overestimation of how many will die.

Regardless, if half of Americans get it, we're looking at hundreds of thousands dead. Still catastrophic.
I don't disagree. Also have to consider people living in rural areas who don't associate much. But these seem to be the main stream stats that are being thrown around by experts and accepted.

Did he say whether the 1% projection is based on deaths/confirmed cases (which is how we currently calculate case fatality rate), or deaths/likely cases (to include those who haven't been confirmed)? I'm guessing he didn't.

Right now, the United States is a tad bit higher than 1%. ~35,000 confirmed cases and ~500 deaths. So, about 1.5%. But when you factor in those who have it but haven't been tested, that number is almost certainly dramatically lower.

Considering the ratio of all those who are infected or are likely infected but can’t get a test to save their lives to those tested who aren’t likely infected and didn’t need to be tested (all NBA players and other VIPs/wealthy) was likely 30:1*, all these negative tests are part of our major stupidity problem in action.

*once we run out of overly entitled-but-curious individuals who got tests they didn’t need resulting in a deceptively high ratio of negative test results and start testing people who are sick with symptoms of covid-19, we’ll get a better idea. And then the awful human beings on the beaches will return to their (and our) parents and grandparents and the stuff will really hit the fan. It’s not their fault. There hasn’t been enough coverage about what they should have done.

the hospital question comes down to the % who are infected and need to be at a hospital. in China that was 4-5% of the total infected population - half of those had ventilators and half of that group died. 80% did not yield need for treatment from doctors. 10% needed doctor but not hospital. there is a research paper previously posted showing that data. the study from Cambridge projects 10x infected to what is reported, so take the mortality rate and divide by 10. now your are talking about a mortality of .1 - .2%.

if you think 150M in the US will catch this, you are talking about 300,000 deaths.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Calculates when each state needs to go into full lock-down to avoid overfilling the hospital beds in that state.

Act Now
Pretty flimsy math. This assumes no one has already had it, not been tested and recovered. They also assume 70% of people are going to be affected whether we do nothing or do 3 months of social distancing. Doesn’t really make sense

the hospital question comes down to the % who are infected and need to be at a hospital. in China that was 4-5% of the total infected population - half of those had ventilators and half of that group died. 80% did not yield need for treatment from doctors. 10% needed doctor but not hospital. there is a research paper previously posted showing that data. the study from Cambridge projects 10x infected to what is reported, so take the mortality rate and divide by 10. now your are talking about a mortality of .1 - .2%.

if you think 150M in the US will catch this, you are talking about 300,000 deaths.
I personally like your logic; both in terms of happy thoughts and pure logic. But that isn't what the experts are saying. Even if you just consider places that have tested like crazy (china @ 4%, SK @ 1.2, italy@ 9%) the mortality rate is high. IDK, hard to compare SK who is much smaller than us with a much more compliant culture. But, again, these are the accepted numbers I am hearing the experts use.

If half the country gets it, then all this lockdown and social distancing stuff will have been a complete joke.
I don't agree. the lockdown wasn't to keep people from getting it, it is designed to get it over a longer period of time. In other words, no major peak to overwhelm the medical system. Also, to buy some time to get caught up with supplies.

If half the country gets it, then all this lockdown and social distancing stuff will have been a complete joke.

The point of the lockdowns is so that you spread out the rate of people getting infected over a longer period of time, so as to not completely overwhelm the healthcare system. Everyone pretty much agrees that somewhere between ~40% to ~60% will get infected.

Makes sense.

Since so many people that are asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic will not he tested, I'm thinking the actual rate is going to be around 0.5%

The point of the lockdowns is so that you spread out the rate of people getting infected over a longer period of time, so as to not completely overwhelm the healthcare system. Everyone pretty much agrees that somewhere between ~40% to ~60% will get infected.

But those same "everyones" already tell us the healthcare system is overwhelmed.

There is an article on yahoo about how a Nobel laureate estimates that things will get better and fairly rapid. He bases his modeling on the rate of change in the number of deaths and the number of cases. As the rate of change goes down, the new cases flat lines and eventually goes down, as it did in China.

He also pointed out that we had an unintentional experiment where the virus was allowed to infect an entire population on the Diamond Princess. The conditions were close quarters and lasted from Feb 4 to Mar 1. Out of 3700 passengers, 717 tested positive for the virus, although 410 of those were asymptomatic. The death count was 8.

The demographics on board the Diamond were probably a lot different than in most country populations. Average age is probably higher. But, those numbers suggest an infection rate of roughly 20% and a death rate of 1.1% of those infected and 0.2% of the whole population.

https://news.yahoo.com/why-nobel-laureate-predicts-quicker-210318391.html

Can someone tell me this. China 1.3 billion people and about 4500 dead. Correct me if I am wrong. USA 340 million and we're going to have 1.7 million dead? I sure hope the the USA is ahead of china in health care. Can anyone answer this???

Can someone tell me this. China 1.3 billion people and about 4500 dead. Correct me if I am wrong. USA 340 million and we're going to have 1.7 million dead? I sure hope the the USA is ahead of china in health care. Can anyone answer this???
They were able to quarantine people forcibly a lot easier than in a free republic.

Reactions: dailybuck777
its a great question..is the data correct? Is it being reported correctly? what is the trajectory? what best practices have we learned?

I don't agree. the lockdown wasn't to keep people from getting it, it is designed to get it over a longer period of time. In other words, no major peak to overwhelm the medical system. Also, to buy some time to get caught up with supplies.
Apparently some think it would be better at 80-90% getting it. I guess that is what happens when you cite flu numbers for a few weeks and then realize that hey....maybe this is serious. Then again some will be stubborn and thick headed until they actually see the hospitals completely overrun.....because they were inconvenienced for a a while and the market tanked. F--k those hospital beds I guess as well as those in the medical community on the front lines of this.

They were able to quarantine people forcibly a lot easier than in a free republic.

On the one hand China has the threat of police and government action more so against it's citizens in forcibly enforcing a quarantine. But on the other hand much more of the population of China lives in cramped quarters. In the cities of China many live with 3 or 4 generations of their families in the square footage of our basements. I just have a hard time believing any of the statistics put out by the Chinese government.....

As the testing capacity increases, I've read that we should do random testing to better.estimate the overall percentage of infections. That makes sense to this non-statistician since we probably can't reliably estimate the overall population based on testing only the symptomatic patients and those who are heavily exposed like the healthcare workers (who should be tested both for their benefit and the benefit of those they are caring for).

The count reported yesterday is that somewhere around 250K tests have been completed in the US (not counting some number of tests done at certain facilities). I think that count was up more than 100K from the number reported Saturday. Capacity is increasing.

Last edited:
https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/
Published: March 14, 2020; Updated: March 23, 2020
Languages: English, German, French, Spanish

A Swiss medical doctor provided the following information on the current situation in order to enable our readers to make a realistic risk assessment. (Daily updates below)

According to the latest data of the Italian National Health Institute ISS, the average age of the positively-tested deceased in Italy is currently about 81 years. 10% of the deceased are over 90 years old. 90% of the deceased are over 70 years old.

80% of the deceased had suffered from two or more chronic diseases. 50% of the deceased had suffered from three or more chronic diseases. The chronic diseases include in particular cardiovascular problems, diabetes, respiratory problems and cancer.

Less than 1% of the deceased were healthy persons, i.e. persons without pre-existing chronic diseases. Only about 30% of the deceased are women.

The Italian Institute of Health moreover distinguishes between those who died from the coronavirus and those who died with the coronavirus. In many cases it is not yet clear whether the persons died from the virus or from their pre-existing chronic diseases or from a combination of both.

The two Italians deceased under 40 years of age (both 39 years old) were a cancer patient and a diabetes patient with additional complications. In these cases, too, the exact cause of death was not yet clear (i.e. if from the virus or from their pre-existing diseases).

The partial overloading of the hospitals is due to the general rush of patients and the increased number of patients requiring special or intensive care. In particular, the aim is to stabilize respiratory function and, in severe cases, to provide anti-viral therapies.

(Update: The Italian National Institute of Health published a statistical report on test-positive patients and deceased, confirming the above data.)

The doctor also points out the following aspects:

Northern Italy has one of the oldest populations and the worst air quality in Europe, which has already led to an increased number of respiratory diseases and deaths in the past and is likely an additional risk factor in the current epidemic.

South Korea, for instance, has experienced a much milder course than Italy and has already passed the peak of the epidemic. In South Korea, only about 70 deaths with a positive test result have been reported so far. As in Italy, those affected were mostly high-risk patients.

The approximately twelve test-positive Swiss deaths so far were also high-risk patients with chronic diseases, an average age of 80 years and a maximum age of 90 years, whose exact cause of death, i.e. from the virus or from their pre-existing diseases, is not yet known.

Furthermore, according to a first Chinese study, the internationally used virus test kits may give a false positive result in some cases. In these cases, the persons may not have contracted the new coronavirus, but presumably one of the many existing human coronaviruses that are part of the annual (and currently ongoing) common cold and flu epidemics. (1)

Thus the most important indicator for judging the danger of the disease is not the frequently reported number of positively-tested persons and deaths, but the number of persons actually and unexpectedly developing or dying from pneumonia (so-called excess mortality).

According to all current data, for the healthy general population of school and working age, a mild to moderate course of the Covid-19 disease can be expected. Senior citizens and persons with existing chronic diseases should be protected. The medical capacities should be optimally prepared.

Medical literature
(1) Zhuang et al., Potential false-positive rate among the ‚asymptomatic infected individuals‘ in close contacts of COVID-19 patients, Chinese Medical Association Publishing House, March 2020.

(2) Grasselli et al., Critical Care Utilization for the COVID-19 Outbreak in Lombardy, JAMA, March 2020.

(3) WHO, Report of the WHO-China Joint Mission on Coronavirus Disease 2019, February 2020.

Reference values
Important reference values include the number of annual flu deaths, which is up to 8,000 in Italy and up to 60,000 in the US; normal overall mortality, which in Italy is up to 2,000 deaths per day; and the average number of pneumonia cases per year, which in Italy is over 120,000.

Current all-cause mortality in Europe and in Italy is still normal or even below-average. Any excess mortality due to Covid-19 should become visible in the European monitoring charts.

italy-smog.png

Winter smog (NO2) in Northern Italy in February 2020 (ESA)
Updates
March 17, 2020 (I)

• The mortality profile remains puzzling from a virological point of view because, in contrast to influenza viruses, children are spared and men are affected about twice as often as women. On the other hand, this profile corresponds to natural mortality, which is close to zero for children and almost twice as high for 75-year-old men as for women of the same age.
  • The younger test-positive deceased almost always had severe pre-existing conditions. For example, a 21-year-old Spanish soccer coach had died test-positive, making international headlines. However, the doctors diagnosed an unrecognized leukemia, whose typical complications include severe pneumonia.
  • The decisive factor in assessing the danger of the disease is therefore not the number of test-positive persons and deceased, which is often mentioned in the media, but the number of people actually and unexpectedly developing or dying from pneumonia (so-called excess mortality). So far, this value remains very low in most countries.
  • In Switzerland, some emergency units are already overloaded simply because of the large number of people who want to be tested. This points to an additional psychological and logistical component of the current situation.
March 17, 2020 (II)

• Italian immunology professor Sergio Romagnani from the University of Florence comes to the conclusion in a study on 3000 people that 50 to 75% of the test-positive people of all ages remain completely symptom-free – significantly more than previously assumed.
  • The occupancy rate of the North Italian ICUs in the winter months is typically already 85 to 90%. Some or many of these existing patients could also be test-positive by now. However, the number of additional unexpected pneumonia cases is not yet known.
  • A hospital doctor in the Spanish city of Malaga writes on Twitter that people are currently more likely to die from panic and systemic collapse than from the virus. The hospital is being overrun by people with colds, flu and possibly Covid19 and doctors have lost control.
March 18, 2020

• A new epidemiological study (preprint) concludes that the mortality of Covid19 even in the Chinese city of Wuhan was only 0.04% to 0.12% and thus rather lower than that of seasonal flu, which has a mortality rate of about 0.1%. As a reason for the overestimated mortality of Covid19, the researchers suspect that initially only a small number of cases were recorded in Wuhan, as the disease was probably asymptomatic or mild in many people.
  • Chinese researchers argue that extreme winter smog in the city of Wuhan may have played a causal role in the outbreak of pneumonia. In the summer of 2019, public protests were already taking place in Wuhan because of the poor air quality.
  • New satellite images show how Northern Italy has the highest levels of air pollution in Europe, and how this air pollution has been greatly reduced by the quarantine.
  • A manufacturer of the Covid19 test kit states that it should only be used for research purposes and not for diagnostic applications, as it has not yet been clinically validated.
March 19, 2020 (I)

The Italian National Health Institute ISS has published a new report on test-positive deaths:

• The median age is 80.5 years (79.5 for men, 83.7 for women).
  • 10% of the deceased was over 90 years old; 90% of the deceased was over 70 years old.
  • At most 0.8% of the deceased had no pre-existing chronic illnesses.
  • Approximately 75% of the deceased had two or more pre-existing conditions, 50% had three more pre-existing conditions, in particular heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
  • Five of the deceased were between 31 and 39 years old, all of them with serious pre-existing health conditions (e.g. cancer or heart disease).
  • The National Health Institute hasn’t yet determined what the patients examined ultimately died of and refers to them in general terms as Covid19-positive deaths.
March 19, 2020 (II)

• A report in the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera points out that Italian intensive care units already collapsed under the marked flu wave in 2017/2018. They had to postpone operations, call nurses back from holiday and ran out of blood donations.
  • German virologist Hendrik Streeck argues that Covid19 is unlikely to increase total mortality in Germany, which normally is around 2500 people per day. Streeck mentions the case of a 78-year-old man with preconditions who died of heart failure, subsequently tested positive for Covid19 and thus was included in the statistics of Covid19 deaths.
  • According to Stanford Professor John Ioannidis, the new coronavirus may be no more dangerous than some of the common coronaviruses, even in older people. Ioannidis argues that there is no reliable medical data backing the measures currently decided upon.
March 20, 2020

• According to the latest European monitoring report, overall mortality in all countries (including Italy) and in all age groups remains within or even below the normal range so far.
  • According to the latest German statistics, the median age of test-positive deaths is about 83 years, most with pre-existing health conditions that might be a possible cause of death.
  • A 2006 Canadian study referred to by Stanford Professor John Ioannidis found that common cold coronaviruses may also cause death rates of up to 6% in risk groups such as residents of a care facility, and that virus test kits initially falsely indicated an infection with SARS coronaviruses.
March 21, 2020 (I)

• Spain reports only three test-positive deaths under the age of 65 (out of a total of about 1000). Their pre-existing health conditions and actual cause of death are not yet known.
  • On March 20, Italy reported 627 nationwide test-positive deaths in one day. By comparison, normal overall mortality in Italy is about 1800 deaths per day. Since February 21, Italy has reported about 4000 test-positive deaths. Normal overall mortality during this time frame is up to 50,000 deaths. It is not yet known to what extent normal overall mortality has increased, or to what extent it has simply turned test-positive. Moreover, Italy and Europe have had a very mild flu season in 2019/2020 that has spared many otherwise vulnerable people.
  • According to Italian news reports, 90% of test-positive deceased in the Lombardy region have died outside of intensive care units, mostly at home or in general care sections. Their cause of death and the possible role of quarantine measures in their deaths remain unclear. Only 260 out of 2168 test-positive persons have died in ICUs.
  • Bloomberg highlights that „99% of Those Who Died From Virus Had Other Illness, Italy Says“
March 21, 2020 (II)

• The Japan Times asks: Japan was expecting a coronavirus explosion. Where is it? Despite being one of the first countries getting positive test results and having imposed no lockdown, Japan is one of the least-affected nations. Quote: „Even if Japan may not be counting all those infected, hospitals aren’t being stretched thin and there has been no spike in pneumonia cases.“
  • Italian researchers argue that the extreme smog in Northern Italy, the worst in Europe, may be playing a causative role in the current pneumonia outbreak there, as in Wuhan before.
  • In a new interview, Professor Sucharit Bhakdi, a world renowned expert in medical microbiology, says blaming the new coronavirus alone for deaths is „wrong“ and „dangerously misleading“, as there are other more important factors at play, notably pre-existing health conditions and poor air quality in Chinese and Northern Italian cities. Professor Bhakdi describes the currently discussed or imposed measures as „grotesque“, „useless“, „self-destructive“ and a „collective suicide“ that will shorten the lifespan of the elderly and should not be accepted by society.
March 22, 2020 (I)

Regarding the situation in Italy: Most major media falsely report that Italy has up to 800 deaths per day from the coronavirus. In reality, the president of the Italian Civil Protection Service stresses that these are deaths „with the coronavirus and not from the coronavirus“ (minute 03:30 of the press conference). In other words, these persons died while also testing positive.

As Professors Ioannidis and Bhakdi have shown, countries like South Korea and Japan that introduced no lockdown measures have experienced near-zero excess mortality in connection with Covid-19, while the Diamond Princess cruise ship experienced an extrapolated mortality figure in the per mille range, i.e. at or below the level of the seasonal flu.

Current test-positive death figures in Italy are still less than 50% of normal daily overall mortality in Italy, which is around 1800 deaths per day. Thus it is possible, perhaps even likely, that a large part of normal daily mortality now simply counts as „Covid19“ deaths (as they test positive). This is the point stressed by the President of the Italian Civil Protection Service.

However, by now it is clear that certain regions in Northern Italy, i.e. those facing the toughest lockdown measures, are experiencing markedly increased daily mortality figures. It is also known that in the Lombardy region, 90% of test-positive deaths occur not in intensive care units, but instead mostly at home. And more than 99% have serious pre-existing health conditions.

Professor Sucharit Bhakdi has called lockdown measures „useless“, „self-destructive“ and a „collective suicide“. Thus the extremely troubling question arises as to what extent the increased mortality of these elderly, isolated, highly stressed people with multiple pre-existing health conditions may in fact be caused by the weeks-long lockdown measures still in force.

If so, it may be one of those cases where the treatment is worse than the disease. (See update below: only 12% of death certificates show the coronavirus as a cause.)

March 22, 2020 (II)

• In Switzerland, there are currently 56 test-positive deaths, all of whom were „high risk patients“ due to their advanced age and/or pre-existing health conditions. Their actual cause of death, i.e. from or simply with the virus, has not been communicated.
  • The Swiss government claimed that the situation in southern Switzerland (next to Italy) is „dramatic“, yet local doctors denied this and said everything is normal.
  • According to press reports, oxygen bottles may become scarce. The reason, however, is not a currently higher usage, but rather hoarding due to fear of future shortages.
  • In many countries, there is already an increasing shortage of doctors and nurses. This is primarily because healthcare workers testing positive have to self-quarantine, even though in many cases they will remain fully or largely symptom-free.
March 22, 2020 (III)

• A model from Imperial College London predicted between 250,000 and 500,000 deaths in the UK „from“ Covid-19, but the authors of the study have now conceded that many of these deaths would not be in addition to, but rather part of the normal annual mortality rate, which in the UK is about 600,000 people per year. In other words, excess mortality would remain low.
  • Dr. David Katz, founding director of the Yale University Prevention Research Center, asks in the New York Times: „Is Our Fight Against Coronavirus Worse Than the Disease? There may be more targeted ways to beat the pandemic.“
  • According to Italian Professor Walter Ricciardi, „only 12% of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus“, whereas in public reports „all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus“. This means that Italian death figures reported by the media have to be reduced by at least a factor of 8 to obtain actual deaths caused by the virus. Thus one ends up with at most a few dozen deaths per day, compared to an overall daily mortality of 1800 deaths and up to 20,000 flu deaths per year.
March 23, 2020

• A new French study in the Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, titled SARS-CoV-2: fear versus data, concludes that „the problem of SARS-CoV-2 is probably overestimated“, since „the mortality rate for SARS-CoV-2 is not significantly different from that for common coronaviruses identified at the study hospital in France“.
  • An Italian study of August 2019 found that flu deaths in Italy were between 7,000 and 25,000 in recent years. This value is higher than in most other European countries due to the large elderly population in Italy, and much higher than anything attributed to Covid-19 so far.
  • In a new fact sheet, the World Health Organization WHO reports that Covid-19 is in fact spreading slower, not faster, than influenza by a factor of about 50%. Moreover, pre-symptomatic transmission appears to be much lower with Covid-19 than with influenza.
  • A leading Italian doctor reports that „strange cases of pneumonia“ were seen in the Lombardy region already in November 2019, raising again the question if they were caused by the new virus (which officially only appeared in Italy in February 2020), or by other factors, such as the dangerously high smog levels in Northern Italy.
  • Danish researcher Peter Goetzsche, founder of the renowned Cochrane Medical Collaboration, writes that Corona is „an epidemic of mass panic“ and „logic was one of the first victims.“
  • Former Israeli Health Minister, Professor Yoram Lass, says that the new coronavirus is „less dangerous than the flu“ and lockdown measures „will kill more people than the virus“. He adds that „the numbers do not match the panic“ and „psychology is prevailing over science“. He also notes that „Italy is known for its enormous morbidity in respiratory problems, more than three times any other European country.“
  • Pietro Vernazza, a Swiss infectious disease specialist, argues that many of the imposed measures are not based on science and should be reversed. According to Vernazza, mass testing makes no sense because 90% of the population will see no symptoms, and lockdowns and closing schools are even „counterproductive“. He recommends protecting only risk groups while keeping the economy and society at large undisturbed.
  • The President of the World Doctors Federation, Frank Ulrich Montgomery, argues that lockdown measures as in Italy are „unreasonable“ and „counterproductive“ and should be reversed.
  • The latest statistical report of the Italian National Health Institute is now available in English.
Related articles

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/
Published: March 14, 2020; Updated: March 23, 2020
Languages: English, German, French, Spanish

A Swiss medical doctor provided the following information on the current situation in order to enable our readers to make a realistic risk assessment. (Daily updates below)

According to the latest data of the Italian National Health Institute ISS, the average age of the positively-tested deceased in Italy is currently about 81 years. 10% of the deceased are over 90 years old. 90% of the deceased are over 70 years old.

80% of the deceased had suffered from two or more chronic diseases. 50% of the deceased had suffered from three or more chronic diseases. The chronic diseases include in particular cardiovascular problems, diabetes, respiratory problems and cancer.

Less than 1% of the deceased were healthy persons, i.e. persons without pre-existing chronic diseases. Only about 30% of the deceased are women.

The Italian Institute of Health moreover distinguishes between those who died from the coronavirus and those who died with the coronavirus. In many cases it is not yet clear whether the persons died from the virus or from their pre-existing chronic diseases or from a combination of both.

The two Italians deceased under 40 years of age (both 39 years old) were a cancer patient and a diabetes patient with additional complications. In these cases, too, the exact cause of death was not yet clear (i.e. if from the virus or from their pre-existing diseases).

The partial overloading of the hospitals is due to the general rush of patients and the increased number of patients requiring special or intensive care. In particular, the aim is to stabilize respiratory function and, in severe cases, to provide anti-viral therapies.

(Update: The Italian National Institute of Health published a statistical report on test-positive patients and deceased, confirming the above data.)

The doctor also points out the following aspects:

Northern Italy has one of the oldest populations and the worst air quality in Europe, which has already led to an increased number of respiratory diseases and deaths in the past and is likely an additional risk factor in the current epidemic.

South Korea, for instance, has experienced a much milder course than Italy and has already passed the peak of the epidemic. In South Korea, only about 70 deaths with a positive test result have been reported so far. As in Italy, those affected were mostly high-risk patients.

The approximately twelve test-positive Swiss deaths so far were also high-risk patients with chronic diseases, an average age of 80 years and a maximum age of 90 years, whose exact cause of death, i.e. from the virus or from their pre-existing diseases, is not yet known.

Furthermore, according to a first Chinese study, the internationally used virus test kits may give a false positive result in some cases. In these cases, the persons may not have contracted the new coronavirus, but presumably one of the many existing human coronaviruses that are part of the annual (and currently ongoing) common cold and flu epidemics. (1)

Thus the most important indicator for judging the danger of the disease is not the frequently reported number of positively-tested persons and deaths, but the number of persons actually and unexpectedly developing or dying from pneumonia (so-called excess mortality).

According to all current data, for the healthy general population of school and working age, a mild to moderate course of the Covid-19 disease can be expected. Senior citizens and persons with existing chronic diseases should be protected. The medical capacities should be optimally prepared.

Medical literature
(1) Zhuang et al., Potential false-positive rate among the ‚asymptomatic infected individuals‘ in close contacts of COVID-19 patients, Chinese Medical Association Publishing House, March 2020.

(2) Grasselli et al., Critical Care Utilization for the COVID-19 Outbreak in Lombardy, JAMA, March 2020.

(3) WHO, Report of the WHO-China Joint Mission on Coronavirus Disease 2019, February 2020.

Reference values
Important reference values include the number of annual flu deaths, which is up to 8,000 in Italy and up to 60,000 in the US; normal overall mortality, which in Italy is up to 2,000 deaths per day; and the average number of pneumonia cases per year, which in Italy is over 120,000.

Current all-cause mortality in Europe and in Italy is still normal or even below-average. Any excess mortality due to Covid-19 should become visible in the European monitoring charts.

italy-smog.png

Winter smog (NO2) in Northern Italy in February 2020 (ESA)
Updates
March 17, 2020 (I)

• The mortality profile remains puzzling from a virological point of view because, in contrast to influenza viruses, children are spared and men are affected about twice as often as women. On the other hand, this profile corresponds to natural mortality, which is close to zero for children and almost twice as high for 75-year-old men as for women of the same age.
  • The younger test-positive deceased almost always had severe pre-existing conditions. For example, a 21-year-old Spanish soccer coach had died test-positive, making international headlines. However, the doctors diagnosed an unrecognized leukemia, whose typical complications include severe pneumonia.
  • The decisive factor in assessing the danger of the disease is therefore not the number of test-positive persons and deceased, which is often mentioned in the media, but the number of people actually and unexpectedly developing or dying from pneumonia (so-called excess mortality). So far, this value remains very low in most countries.
  • In Switzerland, some emergency units are already overloaded simply because of the large number of people who want to be tested. This points to an additional psychological and logistical component of the current situation.
March 17, 2020 (II)

• Italian immunology professor Sergio Romagnani from the University of Florence comes to the conclusion in a study on 3000 people that 50 to 75% of the test-positive people of all ages remain completely symptom-free – significantly more than previously assumed.
  • The occupancy rate of the North Italian ICUs in the winter months is typically already 85 to 90%. Some or many of these existing patients could also be test-positive by now. However, the number of additional unexpected pneumonia cases is not yet known.
  • A hospital doctor in the Spanish city of Malaga writes on Twitter that people are currently more likely to die from panic and systemic collapse than from the virus. The hospital is being overrun by people with colds, flu and possibly Covid19 and doctors have lost control.
March 18, 2020

• A new epidemiological study (preprint) concludes that the mortality of Covid19 even in the Chinese city of Wuhan was only 0.04% to 0.12% and thus rather lower than that of seasonal flu, which has a mortality rate of about 0.1%. As a reason for the overestimated mortality of Covid19, the researchers suspect that initially only a small number of cases were recorded in Wuhan, as the disease was probably asymptomatic or mild in many people.
  • Chinese researchers argue that extreme winter smog in the city of Wuhan may have played a causal role in the outbreak of pneumonia. In the summer of 2019, public protests were already taking place in Wuhan because of the poor air quality.
  • New satellite images show how Northern Italy has the highest levels of air pollution in Europe, and how this air pollution has been greatly reduced by the quarantine.
  • A manufacturer of the Covid19 test kit states that it should only be used for research purposes and not for diagnostic applications, as it has not yet been clinically validated.
March 19, 2020 (I)

The Italian National Health Institute ISS has published a new report on test-positive deaths:

• The median age is 80.5 years (79.5 for men, 83.7 for women).
  • 10% of the deceased was over 90 years old; 90% of the deceased was over 70 years old.
  • At most 0.8% of the deceased had no pre-existing chronic illnesses.
  • Approximately 75% of the deceased had two or more pre-existing conditions, 50% had three more pre-existing conditions, in particular heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
  • Five of the deceased were between 31 and 39 years old, all of them with serious pre-existing health conditions (e.g. cancer or heart disease).
  • The National Health Institute hasn’t yet determined what the patients examined ultimately died of and refers to them in general terms as Covid19-positive deaths.
March 19, 2020 (II)

• A report in the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera points out that Italian intensive care units already collapsed under the marked flu wave in 2017/2018. They had to postpone operations, call nurses back from holiday and ran out of blood donations.
  • German virologist Hendrik Streeck argues that Covid19 is unlikely to increase total mortality in Germany, which normally is around 2500 people per day. Streeck mentions the case of a 78-year-old man with preconditions who died of heart failure, subsequently tested positive for Covid19 and thus was included in the statistics of Covid19 deaths.
  • According to Stanford Professor John Ioannidis, the new coronavirus may be no more dangerous than some of the common coronaviruses, even in older people. Ioannidis argues that there is no reliable medical data backing the measures currently decided upon.
March 20, 2020

• According to the latest European monitoring report, overall mortality in all countries (including Italy) and in all age groups remains within or even below the normal range so far.
  • According to the latest German statistics, the median age of test-positive deaths is about 83 years, most with pre-existing health conditions that might be a possible cause of death.
  • A 2006 Canadian study referred to by Stanford Professor John Ioannidis found that common cold coronaviruses may also cause death rates of up to 6% in risk groups such as residents of a care facility, and that virus test kits initially falsely indicated an infection with SARS coronaviruses.
March 21, 2020 (I)

• Spain reports only three test-positive deaths under the age of 65 (out of a total of about 1000). Their pre-existing health conditions and actual cause of death are not yet known.
  • On March 20, Italy reported 627 nationwide test-positive deaths in one day. By comparison, normal overall mortality in Italy is about 1800 deaths per day. Since February 21, Italy has reported about 4000 test-positive deaths. Normal overall mortality during this time frame is up to 50,000 deaths. It is not yet known to what extent normal overall mortality has increased, or to what extent it has simply turned test-positive. Moreover, Italy and Europe have had a very mild flu season in 2019/2020 that has spared many otherwise vulnerable people.
  • According to Italian news reports, 90% of test-positive deceased in the Lombardy region have died outside of intensive care units, mostly at home or in general care sections. Their cause of death and the possible role of quarantine measures in their deaths remain unclear. Only 260 out of 2168 test-positive persons have died in ICUs.
  • Bloomberg highlights that „99% of Those Who Died From Virus Had Other Illness, Italy Says“
March 21, 2020 (II)

• The Japan Times asks: Japan was expecting a coronavirus explosion. Where is it? Despite being one of the first countries getting positive test results and having imposed no lockdown, Japan is one of the least-affected nations. Quote: „Even if Japan may not be counting all those infected, hospitals aren’t being stretched thin and there has been no spike in pneumonia cases.“
  • Italian researchers argue that the extreme smog in Northern Italy, the worst in Europe, may be playing a causative role in the current pneumonia outbreak there, as in Wuhan before.
  • In a new interview, Professor Sucharit Bhakdi, a world renowned expert in medical microbiology, says blaming the new coronavirus alone for deaths is „wrong“ and „dangerously misleading“, as there are other more important factors at play, notably pre-existing health conditions and poor air quality in Chinese and Northern Italian cities. Professor Bhakdi describes the currently discussed or imposed measures as „grotesque“, „useless“, „self-destructive“ and a „collective suicide“ that will shorten the lifespan of the elderly and should not be accepted by society.
March 22, 2020 (I)

Regarding the situation in Italy: Most major media falsely report that Italy has up to 800 deaths per day from the coronavirus. In reality, the president of the Italian Civil Protection Service stresses that these are deaths „with the coronavirus and not from the coronavirus“ (minute 03:30 of the press conference). In other words, these persons died while also testing positive.

As Professors Ioannidis and Bhakdi have shown, countries like South Korea and Japan that introduced no lockdown measures have experienced near-zero excess mortality in connection with Covid-19, while the Diamond Princess cruise ship experienced an extrapolated mortality figure in the per mille range, i.e. at or below the level of the seasonal flu.

Current test-positive death figures in Italy are still less than 50% of normal daily overall mortality in Italy, which is around 1800 deaths per day. Thus it is possible, perhaps even likely, that a large part of normal daily mortality now simply counts as „Covid19“ deaths (as they test positive). This is the point stressed by the President of the Italian Civil Protection Service.

However, by now it is clear that certain regions in Northern Italy, i.e. those facing the toughest lockdown measures, are experiencing markedly increased daily mortality figures. It is also known that in the Lombardy region, 90% of test-positive deaths occur not in intensive care units, but instead mostly at home. And more than 99% have serious pre-existing health conditions.

Professor Sucharit Bhakdi has called lockdown measures „useless“, „self-destructive“ and a „collective suicide“. Thus the extremely troubling question arises as to what extent the increased mortality of these elderly, isolated, highly stressed people with multiple pre-existing health conditions may in fact be caused by the weeks-long lockdown measures still in force.

If so, it may be one of those cases where the treatment is worse than the disease. (See update below: only 12% of death certificates show the coronavirus as a cause.)

March 22, 2020 (II)

• In Switzerland, there are currently 56 test-positive deaths, all of whom were „high risk patients“ due to their advanced age and/or pre-existing health conditions. Their actual cause of death, i.e. from or simply with the virus, has not been communicated.
  • The Swiss government claimed that the situation in southern Switzerland (next to Italy) is „dramatic“, yet local doctors denied this and said everything is normal.
  • According to press reports, oxygen bottles may become scarce. The reason, however, is not a currently higher usage, but rather hoarding due to fear of future shortages.
  • In many countries, there is already an increasing shortage of doctors and nurses. This is primarily because healthcare workers testing positive have to self-quarantine, even though in many cases they will remain fully or largely symptom-free.
March 22, 2020 (III)

• A model from Imperial College London predicted between 250,000 and 500,000 deaths in the UK „from“ Covid-19, but the authors of the study have now conceded that many of these deaths would not be in addition to, but rather part of the normal annual mortality rate, which in the UK is about 600,000 people per year. In other words, excess mortality would remain low.
  • Dr. David Katz, founding director of the Yale University Prevention Research Center, asks in the New York Times: „Is Our Fight Against Coronavirus Worse Than the Disease? There may be more targeted ways to beat the pandemic.“
  • According to Italian Professor Walter Ricciardi, „only 12% of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus“, whereas in public reports „all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus“. This means that Italian death figures reported by the media have to be reduced by at least a factor of 8 to obtain actual deaths caused by the virus. Thus one ends up with at most a few dozen deaths per day, compared to an overall daily mortality of 1800 deaths and up to 20,000 flu deaths per year.
March 23, 2020

• A new French study in the Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, titled SARS-CoV-2: fear versus data, concludes that „the problem of SARS-CoV-2 is probably overestimated“, since „the mortality rate for SARS-CoV-2 is not significantly different from that for common coronaviruses identified at the study hospital in France“.
  • An Italian study of August 2019 found that flu deaths in Italy were between 7,000 and 25,000 in recent years. This value is higher than in most other European countries due to the large elderly population in Italy, and much higher than anything attributed to Covid-19 so far.
  • In a new fact sheet, the World Health Organization WHO reports that Covid-19 is in fact spreading slower, not faster, than influenza by a factor of about 50%. Moreover, pre-symptomatic transmission appears to be much lower with Covid-19 than with influenza.
  • A leading Italian doctor reports that „strange cases of pneumonia“ were seen in the Lombardy region already in November 2019, raising again the question if they were caused by the new virus (which officially only appeared in Italy in February 2020), or by other factors, such as the dangerously high smog levels in Northern Italy.
  • Danish researcher Peter Goetzsche, founder of the renowned Cochrane Medical Collaboration, writes that Corona is „an epidemic of mass panic“ and „logic was one of the first victims.“
  • Former Israeli Health Minister, Professor Yoram Lass, says that the new coronavirus is „less dangerous than the flu“ and lockdown measures „will kill more people than the virus“. He adds that „the numbers do not match the panic“ and „psychology is prevailing over science“. He also notes that „Italy is known for its enormous morbidity in respiratory problems, more than three times any other European country.“
  • Pietro Vernazza, a Swiss infectious disease specialist, argues that many of the imposed measures are not based on science and should be reversed. According to Vernazza, mass testing makes no sense because 90% of the population will see no symptoms, and lockdowns and closing schools are even „counterproductive“. He recommends protecting only risk groups while keeping the economy and society at large undisturbed.
  • The President of the World Doctors Federation, Frank Ulrich Montgomery, argues that lockdown measures as in Italy are „unreasonable“ and „counterproductive“ and should be reversed.
  • The latest statistical report of the Italian National Health Institute is now available in English.
Related articles
good post. there was an article posted, I believe they guy has been forced to take it down, had two really good points:
  • That the commonly used tracking web site has a black background with giant deep-red circles. Could they have possibly used the most inflammatory visualizations imaginable? It almost had to be done on purpose. And, perhaps, at the time that was put together it was warranted; to scare people into compliance. However, we are certainly beyond the time when scaring people more makes sense. As Churchill said, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself". I am speaking of the web site linked below that I always see referenced on CNN, FOX, MSNBC and the networks during their daily news casts (at 6 & 11)
  • That same web site doesn't deduct mild or recovered cases from the visualization. So as time goes by, mild and recovered tell a positive story. The only thing that really needs to be tracked is outstanding cases and trajectory.
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13

World wide, an estimated total of 70–85 million people perished, which was about 3% of the 1940 world population (est. 2.3 billion)

Dumbass. Do you live under a rock? Half the country may get it, but we are trying to make sure it doesn't all happen in the same week.

Yeah I keep hearing that. But to get to those numbers we're all going to have to be under lockdown for months upon months. There will be no country left.

I'm with you unless the REAL plan for lockdown is to try to house-arrest everybody in America for 12 months or 18 months until vaccines are (hopefully) available.

You flatten the curve that much you might reduce coronavirus deaths by half a million at a cost of 2-5 million deaths from other diseases, plus malnutrition, murder, suicide and a general total breakdown of health care -- let alone the total collapse of western capitalism.

If lockdown lasts 4-8 weeks it's a big hit to people's retirement portfolios and maybe only 20 or 30 million people permanently lose their jobs and their businesses. Maybe only 1 million kids can no longer go to college because their parents no longer have the means to send them. Maybe only 1 million people no longer have the ability to retire at 65. That is not a small cost but I suppose the country is willing to pay it. 8 weeks of lockdown we may well have another Great Depression. The country did survive the Great Depression but there was a lot of pain.

But if lockdown lasts 52 weeks and the world financial system basically dies, and 120 million people permanently lose their jobs --- you have to consider the cost of that and weigh the end of western civilization against the reduced coronavirus deaths. .

I'm obviously no fan of Trump but in this case he is asking a question that needs to be asked. What is the cost-benefit analysis on long-term lockdown? How long is lockdown really sustainable?

And, looking at what's happening in Italy, is lockdown really working anyway? And don't just trot out the "lawless Italian" stereotype. There is absolutely no evidence lockdown will work any better in the US than it has worked in Italy, because it is forcing families to be together 24 hours a day in close quarters -- and home is where the virus is most commonly transmitted.

The public health officials are all about their randomized controlled studies and I respect that.

But lockdown is basically a seat of the pants policy; not a single study has been done that shows mass lockdowns of this type would work against a virus of this type. It's a desperation move, everybody understands the desperation, and it seems to make sense in the short run but it has NOT been tested. And it certainly has never been tested on a worldwide long-term basis.

Let's hope that lockdown works in 4 weeks. If it doesn't, let's hope there is a cold assessment of whether lockdown has any chance to achieve what people hope will achieve, and if it doesn't work, let's try something else (like focusing resources on isolating elderly and high-risk populations. If something doesn't work, try something else.

Apparently some think it would be better at 80-90% getting it. I guess that is what happens when you cite flu numbers for a few weeks and then realize that hey....maybe this is serious. Then again some will be stubborn and thick headed until they actually see the hospitals completely overrun.....because they were inconvenienced for a a while and the market tanked. F--k those hospital beds I guess as well as those in the medical community on the front lines of this.

I'm with you unless the REAL plan for lockdown is to try to house-arrest everybody in America for 12 months or 18 months until vaccines are (hopefully) available.

You flatten the curve that much you might reduce coronavirus deaths by half a million at a cost of 2-5 million deaths from other diseases, plus malnutrition, murder, suicide and a general total breakdown of health care -- let alone the total collapse of western capitalism.

If lockdown lasts 4-8 weeks it's a big hit to people's retirement portfolios and maybe only 20 or 30 million people permanently lose their jobs and their businesses. Maybe only 1 million kids can no longer go to college because their parents no longer have the means to send them. Maybe only 1 million people no longer have the ability to retire at 65. That is not a small cost but I suppose the country is willing to pay it. 8 weeks of lockdown we may well have another Great Depression. The country did survive the Great Depression but there was a lot of pain.

But if lockdown lasts 52 weeks and the world financial system basically dies, and 120 million people permanently lose their jobs --- you have to consider the cost of that and weigh the end of western civilization against the reduced coronavirus deaths. .

I'm obviously no fan of Trump but in this case he is asking a question that needs to be asked. What is the cost-benefit analysis on long-term lockdown? How long is lockdown really sustainable?

And, looking at what's happening in Italy, is lockdown really working anyway? And don't just trot out the "lawless Italian" stereotype. There is absolutely no evidence lockdown will work any better in the US than it has worked in Italy, because it is forcing families to be together 24 hours a day in close quarters -- and home is where the virus is most commonly transmitted.

The public health officials are all about their randomized controlled studies and I respect that.

But lockdown is basically a seat of the pants policy; not a single study has been done that shows mass lockdowns of this type would work against a virus of this type. It's a desperation move, everybody understands the desperation, and it seems to make sense in the short run but it has NOT been tested. And it certainly has never been tested on a worldwide long-term basis.

Let's hope that lockdown works in 4 weeks. If it doesn't, let's hope there is a cold assessment of whether lockdown has any chance to achieve what people hope will achieve, and if it doesn't work, let's try something else (like focusing resources on isolating elderly and high-risk populations. If something doesn't work, try something else.
I'm not assuming the lock down will go on for a year. If so we were lied to in a big way. BTW...the Italians have all been pleading with us to use them as an example...they ignore the lockdowns. Much like the spring breakers and idiots still gathering in groups are.

Reactions: rumble_lion
Medical literature

[Potential false-positive rate among the 'asymptomatic infected individuals' in close contacts of COVID-19 patients].
[Article in Chinese; Abstract available in Chinese from the publisher]
Zhuang GH1, Shen MW, Zeng LX, Mi BB, Chen FY, Liu WJ, Pei LL, Qi X, Li C.
Author information

Abstract
in English, Chinese
Objective: As the prevention and control of COVID-19continues to advance, the active nucleic acid test screening in the close contacts of the patients has been carrying out in many parts of China. However, the false-positive rate of positive results in the screening has not been reported up to now. But to clearify the false-positive rate during screening is important in COVID-19 control and prevention. Methods: Point values and reasonable ranges of the indicators which impact the false-positive rate of positive results were estimated based on the information available to us at present. The false-positive rate of positive results in the active screening was deduced, and univariate and multivariate-probabilistic sensitivity analyses were performed to understand the robustness of the findings. Results: When the infection rate of the close contacts and the sensitivity and specificity of reported results were taken as the point estimates, the positive predictive value of the active screening was only 19.67%, in contrast, the false-positive rate of positive results was 80.33%. The multivariate-probabilistic sensitivity analysis results supported the base-case findings, with a 75% probability for the false-positive rate of positive results over 47%. Conclusions: In the close contacts of COVID-19 patients, nearly half or even more of the 'asymptomatic infected individuals' reported in the active nucleic acid test screening might be false positives.

KEYWORDS:
COVID-19; Close contacts; False-positive; Nucleic acid test; Screening

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT