ADVERTISEMENT

Craft Brew Week in the 'burgh; Penn Pilsner turns 30

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
There are over 300 events planned for the week at various craft brewers....not that any one here would be interested. One example;

East End also worked with Four Seasons Brewing on a Belgian ale with citra hops and local sumac called Citra Mac. It’s not made with poison sumac, assures East End’s Scott Smith, who says, “I had a really bad case of poison sumac when I was a kid.” For this, they foraged the red cone-shaped clusters of fuzzy fruit from staghorn sumac, which “gives this wonderful, almost rhubarb-like tartness. It also made the beer bright red.” It will be 5 to 7 percent ABV.

And this is Penn Pilsner's 30 anniversary, one of the first craft brews. This article has an interesting history of the start of the craft brew biz;

That’s right: One of the very first craft beers in the country was conceived right here in Western Pennsylvania, 30 years ago this year: Penn Brewery’s Penn Pilsner.

Let’s go back to 1986, when very few local breweries existed, as almost all of America’s beer was being made by a handful of big national and regional brewers. Top sellers locally were Iron City, Stroh’s, I.C. Light, Miller High Life, Budweiser, Old Milwaukee, Miller Lite, Rolling Rock and Milwaukee’s Best.....

.......Sewickley business consultant Tom Pastorius was missing the freshness and flavor variety of the local beers he’d savored while living for more than a decade in Germany.

So in March 1986, he incorporated the Pennsylvania Brewing Co. with the intention of marketing a pilsner-style beer so authentically German that it met the centuries-old purity law, Reinheitsgetbot. Unlike most domestic beers of the day, it would contain no corn or rice or other additives — just malted barley, yeast, hops and water. He planned to make it in small batches and sell it locally, like small breweries in the U.S. used to do.

There are over 300 events planned for the week at various craft brewers....not that any one here would be interested. One example;

East End also worked with Four Seasons Brewing on a Belgian ale with citra hops and local sumac called Citra Mac. It’s not made with poison sumac, assures East End’s Scott Smith, who says, “I had a really bad case of poison sumac when I was a kid.” For this, they foraged the red cone-shaped clusters of fuzzy fruit from staghorn sumac, which “gives this wonderful, almost rhubarb-like tartness. It also made the beer bright red.” It will be 5 to 7 percent ABV.

And this is Penn Pilsner's 30 anniversary, one of the first craft brews. This article has an interesting history of the start of the craft brew biz;

That’s right: One of the very first craft beers in the country was conceived right here in Western Pennsylvania, 30 years ago this year: Penn Brewery’s Penn Pilsner.

Let’s go back to 1986, when very few local breweries existed, as almost all of America’s beer was being made by a handful of big national and regional brewers. Top sellers locally were Iron City, Stroh’s, I.C. Light, Miller High Life, Budweiser, Old Milwaukee, Miller Lite, Rolling Rock and Milwaukee’s Best.....

.......Sewickley business consultant Tom Pastorius was missing the freshness and flavor variety of the local beers he’d savored while living for more than a decade in Germany.

So in March 1986, he incorporated the Pennsylvania Brewing Co. with the intention of marketing a pilsner-style beer so authentically German that it met the centuries-old purity law, Reinheitsgetbot. Unlike most domestic beers of the day, it would contain no corn or rice or other additives — just malted barley, yeast, hops and water. He planned to make it in small batches and sell it locally, like small breweries in the U.S. used to do.

Love Penn Brewery.

So in March 1986, he incorporated the Pennsylvania Brewing Co. with the intention of marketing a pilsner-style beer so authentically German that it met the centuries-old purity law, Reinheitsgetbot. Unlike most domestic beers of the day, it would contain no corn or rice or other additives — just malted barley, yeast, hops and water.

And if you've had the good fortune to indulge in German beer in Germany, then you know the genius of this move. Bravo, Mr. Pastorius.

Reactions: BBrown
And if you've had the good fortune to indulge in German beer in Germany, then you know the genius of this move. Bravo, Mr. Pastorius.

Exactly. When I lived in Germany, every town had one or two of their own breweries and each had a distinct local flavor. But, unlike the trend in America, they're not all about crazy flavor combinations or mixed barrel aging - just good beer made according to the reinheitsgebot.

Exactly. When I lived in Germany, every town had one or two of their own breweries and each had a distinct local flavor. But, unlike the trend in America, they're not all about crazy flavor combinations or mixed barrel aging - just good beer made according to the reinheitsgebot.
America is a much better beer country then Germany, now.
Almost all the beer drunk in Germany is made by big beer. You have to look really hard for those small breweries. Don't get me wrong, they are there, but most Germans drink mass produced beer that is barely above the standard of Bud/Miller/etc.
We have it much better in America; there are actually too many craft breweries to support (many are going to fail).

America is a much better beer country then Germany, now.
Almost all the beer drunk in Germany is made by big beer. You have to look really hard for those small breweries. Don't get me wrong, they are there, but most Germans drink mass produced beer that is barely above the standard of Bud/Miller/etc.
We have it much better in America; there are actually too many craft breweries to support (many are going to fail).

Maybe, but you figure Germany has 1,300 breweries to support a population of 80mm. The U.S. has about 2,800 breweries to support a population of 320mm+. I don't know how hard you have to look to find a brewery in Germany to be honest. When I was there, there was basically one in every town (Heidelberg - Heidelberger; Mannheim - Eichbuam; Schwetzingen - Weldebrau, etc.). And when I was there, most Germans drank at local bars/beer houses where they always had the local brew on draft.

I'm not a big beer nut or anything, but I appreciate the simplicity and quality of German beer and am happy I can get some at a few places here. I will also say not all microbreweries in America make good or even decent beer - they are however popping up everywhere; where I live in Virginia (Loudoun County), there are 20 breweries - more than any county in Virginia. Add that to the 40+ wineries we have and well, it's easy to get drunk here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you familiar with Ganter Bier, from Freiburg, in the southwest? God, a great pilsner.

You mean Essen? If so you probably know a certain brewhaus in Dusseldorf. It has a unique weathervane.

No - Hessen - the state in Germany. But, am familiar with Essen (the city) too (and the infamous beer battle between Dusseldorf and Cologne - altbier vs. kolsch!).

I believe Pastorius is an alum. He gave a group of us from PSNK a personal tour. Yikes I'll guess that was almost 25-30 years ago.

Reactions: Zenophile
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT