ADVERTISEMENT

Creative by Oklahoma State

Ya people will be beating the doors down to give their hard earned money to a bunch of college kids while watching a game. I’d rather gamble mine away.

Reactions: PSUPride1
Ya people will be beating the doors down to give their hard earned money to a bunch of college kids while watching a game. I’d rather gamble mine away.
Truthfully the only way I see them getting money from this is when guys are watching the game together and they're drunk enough to bet that the loser of whatever bet is made has to donate money. Still creative though.

This sport is in desperate need of a wake up call. The time for collective bargaining and proper oversight was yesterday.
Collective bargaining has nothing to do with NIL whatsoever. They are two separate topics and one has nothing to do with the other.

Reactions: LandoComando
Who is going to be the first player on national TV during the game to look directly in the camera and ask the viewers to donate to his NIL fund? Can't wait to see the responses for that one.

Collective bargaining has nothing to do with NIL whatsoever. They are two separate topics and one has nothing to do with the other.
But collective bargaining can outlaw asking for donations in this manner. The playing field during games is no place for players to be asking for money like this. What's next, they run up to fans in the first row with a phone asking for tips?

But collective bargaining can outlaw asking for donations in this manner. The playing field during games is no place for players to be asking for money like this. What's next, they run up to fans in the first row with a phone asking for tips?
Collective bargaining, IMO, won't touch NIL at all--they're terrified of any lawsuits

And, it is possible that I'm not reading this correctly, but nothing i saw indicates that the money goes directly to the player but rather the school's NIL fund

Reactions: gogolion
And, it is possible that I'm not reading this correctly, but nothing i saw indicates that the money goes directly to the player but rather the school's NIL fund
Local news in Tulsa carried this story this evening. Everything I saw indicated the money went into a collective.

Reactions: LandoComando
Collective bargaining, IMO, won't touch NIL at all--they're terrified of any lawsuits
This is the truth. The courts made NIL a right for student athletes and it can’t be modified or regulated by the NCAA or the schools. Collective bargaining revenue would be on top of NIL revenue. That is where we are right now. One might say that this is professional sports now, and I can understand that point, but there is very little value in this level football without the attachment to the schools.

I get it and agree with you, but unfortunately, as I replied to Lando as well, the courts codified NIL as being a right for student athletes.

I get it and agree with you, but unfortunately, as I replied to Lando as well, the courts codified NIL as being a right for student athletes.
Then why don't NFL players do stuff like this? Because they contractually aren't allowed to, or because league rules disallow it. Yet they aren't violating or hindering players from getting endorsements by doing so, and aren't breaking any laws. Collective bargaining isn't needed to stop NIL. It's needed to control and put proper boundaries on it, and ensure it's proper NIL and not pay for play and pay for recruiting which is predominantly what NCAA "NIL" is currently, which isn't NIL at all really. NIL is simply being used as a loophole to pay players, everyone knows this.

Then why don't NFL players do stuff like this? Because they contractually aren't allowed to, or because league rules disallow it. Yet they aren't violating or hindering players from getting endorsements by doing so, and aren't breaking any laws. Collective bargaining isn't needed to stop NIL. It's needed to control and put proper boundaries on it, and ensure it's proper NIL and not pay for play and pay for recruiting which is predominantly what NCAA "NIL" is currently, which isn't NIL at all really. NIL is simply being used as a loophole to pay players, everyone knows this.
The players don't truly have a contract with the school and the NFL has a Players' Association that has agreed to certain limitations in order for more money in the cap
NIL is college is fully protected--no one is touching it
And, again, the players aren't doing this--Oklahoma State is doing this--the money goes to their NIL funds not the player

NFL players make huge money in endorsements. Patrick Mahomes in particular the king of endorsements. That has nothing to do with the nfl team. In college NIL is a codified right and it is not going away.

Agreed. Absolute insanity. That said I'm not surprised by anything anymore.

The one thing I could see this helping with is that if someone wanted to donated to NIL but didn't want to spend time figure out how this is an easy "oh I just do that" solution

This is the truth. The courts made NIL a right for student athletes and it can’t be modified or regulated by the NCAA or the schools. Collective bargaining revenue would be on top of NIL revenue. That is where we are right now. One might say that this is professional sports now, and I can understand that point, but there is very little value in this level football without the attachment to the schools.
There is an obvious new reality. My alma mater (Ohio State) is a textbook example. There is the traditional academic portion of the school. These students are typically poor, often going into debt with tuition etc. Then there is the athletic part of the school. These students are better off, even wealthy if they play football. About the only thing that the 2 have in common is that they are on the same campus. This is unlikely to change. There is too much money, power and egos involved.

They are separate. However, they are definitely related as NIL has been applied

Before NIL: Bag men at some schools paid some players in an illicit manner
With NIL: While intended to essentially allow endorsements, it opened the door to legalize the bag men money and bring in tons of other money through donations to simply play players for enrolling in a university and putting on pads. It essentially legalized private booster money to pay players.
With Collective Bargaining: Players would be paid by the university. NIL will still exist. There are obvious questions of how you determine comp, and how a CB agreement would handle comp for a 5star QB vs 3-star OL. The ultimate question raised by PSUSignore's post is how a university's ability to play players would impact funding and importance of NIL.

NIL was supposed to allow kids to get paid for signing autographs, endorsing something, or having a youtube channel, for example. It is being used as a way to recruit and pay players for playing football directly. NIL collectives solicit donations specifically for this purpose. Depending on the structure of the CBA, if the university is going to pay players, they can solicit donations to the university (and not some private collective) for this purpose. Does the CBA lessen the need for collectives to hand out bags of cash? Does the CBA include a control that all NIL contracts need to pass a fair market value test (ie a player can receive a $1M for endorsing Dr Pepper, but $1M to show up for 3 hours at a local car dealer is obvously not FMV). I'm of the belief that CFB will implode if it continues on the current trajectory. So whatever happens, I'd like to see NIL be what it was intended to be - a kid can be paid for use of his/her Name, Image, or Likeness (Sign autographs, endorse a business, let EA Sports include your name/likeness in it's NCAA video game, have a social media channel, etc.) I don't think anyone begrudges a kid making some money while in college. I do think that amateurs acting like professionals will lessen interest and is not a viable business model in the long run. Yes Lando, I know you say that the numbers disagree and the youngsters especially, don't care, but IMHO things have changed so quickly that the market hasn't caught up yet. Time will tell. It doesn't need to be rehashed here yet again.

They are separate. However, they are definitely related as NIL has been applied

Before NIL: Bag men at some schools paid some players in an illicit manner
With NIL: While intended to essentially allow endorsements, it opened the door to legalize the bag men money and bring in tons of other money through donations to simply play players for enrolling in a university and putting on pads. It essentially legalized private booster money to pay players.
With Collective Bargaining: Players would be paid by the university. NIL will still exist. There are obvious questions of how you determine comp, and how a CB agreement would handle comp for a 5star QB vs 3-star OL. The ultimate question raised by PSUSignore's post is how a university's ability to play players would impact funding and importance of NIL.

NIL was supposed to allow kids to get paid for signing autographs, endorsing something, or having a youtube channel, for example. It is being used as a way to recruit and pay players for playing football directly. NIL collectives solicit donations specifically for this purpose. Depending on the structure of the CBA, if the university is going to pay players, they can solicit donations to the university (and not some private collective) for this purpose. Does the CBA lessen the need for collectives to hand out bags of cash? Does the CBA include a control that all NIL contracts need to pass a fair market value test (ie a player can receive a $1M for endorsing Dr Pepper, but $1M to show up for 3 hours at a local car dealer is obvously not FMV). I'm of the belief that CFB will implode if it continues on the current trajectory. So whatever happens, I'd like to see NIL be what it was intended to be - a kid can be paid for use of his/her Name, Image, or Likeness (Sign autographs, endorse a business, let EA Sports include your name/likeness in it's NCAA video game, have a social media channel, etc.) I don't think anyone begrudges a kid making some money while in college. I do think that amateurs acting like professionals will lessen interest and is not a viable business model in the long run. Yes Lando, I know you say that the numbers disagree and the youngsters especially, don't care, but IMHO things have changed so quickly that the market hasn't caught up yet. Time will tell. It doesn't need to be rehashed here yet again.
Anything is possible but, so far, nothing remotely supports your claim. College football is stronger than ever based on data. That doesn't mean i like the changes but I understand them. NIL isn't going to be controlled...not that I don't want it to be but it never will be.

It's definitely one way to try to get NIL funds
Somebody who just spent $400 for 2 tickets, $60 for parking, $1,000 for 2 nights in a Holiday Inn Express, and $400 for food to see PSU play Illinois are going to ask players to stand still so they can scan their QR code and send them some more money.

Really?

Last edited:
Somebody who just spent $400 for 2 tickets, $60 for parking, $1,000 for 2 nights in a Holiday Inn Express, and $400 for food to see PSU play Illinois are going to ask players to stand still so they can scan their QR code and send them some more money.

Really?
I think the plan is so people pause TV and scan it lol
But this is why many people are staying home and watching games--there's no need to spend that kind of money when the viewing experience is just as good for many being home

How often do they show the back of a player's head close enough that you could scan a little QR code on TV?

Apparently the NCAA deemed the QR codes to be advertising, which is not allowed by NCAA rules. Oddly, the NCAA allowed the QR codes to stay on the players travel bags, and in the stadium which seems to me to be contradictory.

Apparently the NCAA deemed the QR codes to be advertising, which is not allowed by NCAA rules. Oddly, the NCAA allowed the QR codes to stay on the players travel bags, and in the stadium which seems to me to be contradictory.
The Big XII and Oklahoma State seem to disagree with the ruling. Curious to see what happens now

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT