ADVERTISEMENT

Curt Warner may actually be Penn State's best all-around RB ever!

I’ve seen Moore, Cappy, Johnson, Mitchell, Thomas listed and all worthy of the 4th member of PSU’s Mt Rushmore at RB. However I have to add another who I can’t believe hasn’t been mentioned yet (unless I missed it).
👉And that would be CURTIS ENIS.
Yeah, I watched the 1997 OSU game last night. Enis was just a bull, with great cutting ability and really good speed.

I believe that Aaron Harris would have been at least as good as Enis. When I put on my 25 jersey I always think of Harris first, not Warner.

I’ve seen Moore, Cappy, Johnson, Mitchell, Thomas listed and all worthy of the 4th member of PSU’s Mt Rushmore at RB. However I have to add another who I can’t believe hasn’t been mentioned yet (unless I missed it).
👉And that would be CURTIS ENIS.
Curtis Enis was an exciting runner who would just bowl his way over, around and through defenders without regard for his body. That cost him when he tore his knee with the Bears in his rookie season. Another Penn State RB who was a casualty of the ACL career ending or limiting injury. His personal life was marked by poor decisions before, towards the end of and after his Penn State career. I have always felt that we could have beaten Florida in that Citrus Bowl game had Enis not had his agent buy him a suit in Harrisburg for that years Heisman show.

Last edited:
Yeah, I watched the 1997 OSU game last night. Enis was just a bull, with great cutting ability and really good speed.

I believe that Aaron Harris would have been at least as good as Enis. When I put on my 25 jersey I always think of Harris first, not Warner.
No doubt an incredible running back, cut down by a horrendous injury far too early in his athletic career/prime. I also recall his courageous attempt at coming back from his injury the next season, but simply was never able to regain the burst/quickness he had for such a big, strong RB. He was one of the best we’ve had, when he was healthy, albeit far too brief a time as a Nittany Lion.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Curtis Enis was an exciting runner who would just bowl his way over, around and through defenders without regard for his body. That cost him when he tore his knee with the Bears in his rookie season. Another Penn State RB who was a casualty of the ACL career ending or limiting injury. His personal life was marked by poor decisions before, towrads the end of and after his Penn State career. I have always felt that we could have beaten Florida in that Citrus Bowl game had Enis not had his agent buy him a suit in Harrisburg for that years Heisman show.
Completely agree. We also played without Joe Jurevicius in that game ~ arguably our 2nd best offensive player/weapon that season.

not questioning your choice, but back then we used a FB and Joe gave the FB's a lot of goal line carries
You can add Jon Williams TD's to Warner's and they still don't come close to touching Barkley's numbers.

It's just too hard to compare one generation to another. Warner was so fun to watch. Long strides and very shifty. He got through the line of scrimmage so fast.

Larry Johnson doesn't get enough credit for his '02 season. Go back and look at the OL on the 2002 roster. He was just a bad dude with the ball in his hands and didn't have much else to work with. Few have run with such a mean streak. Aaron Harris was in that category.

Larry Johnson doesn't get enough credit for his '02 season. Go back and look at the OL on the 2002 roster. He was just a bad dude with the ball in his hands and didn't have much else to work with. Few have run with such a mean streak. Aaron Harris was in that category.
Prior to his SR season he never averaged 5 YAC. I know he split a lot of carries (never reached 80) but his average wasn't great. 2002 he was off the charts good but I don't think he did enough for a Mt. Rushmore selection.

Reactions: LionJim and bison13
Dominated the Big Ten and had over 2000 yards, but came up with less than spectacular results in big games against Ohio State, Michigan and even in the Bowl game loss to Auburn. Of course the OLine shared much of that against the best defenses they faced that year. No doubt he had a phenomenal senior season and carried that into the NFL for 3-4 amazing seasons as well.

Reactions: Mufasa94
No doubt that Larry Johnson was a runner with bad intentions :)! He was angry on and off the field. That is good as a RB, but not so good as an off-field human being trying to fit into society. If only he had a more likeable personality, he may have been given more credit for his on-field performances. Nobody ever had as good of a year as LJ Jr. had in his final year, but if you watch his tapes, he had a damn good OL opening gaping holes for him!

Prior to his SR season he never averaged 5 YAC. I know he split a lot of carries (never reached 80) but his average wasn't great. 2002 he was off the charts good but I don't think he did enough for a Mt. Rushmore selection.
LJ had to run behind some not so great OL’s. The offense was also a mess in 2000 and not much better until late 2001.
He had an ego and that probably worked against him and the squad in terms of reps until 2002.
He was a complete back with top end speed. Opposing defenses probably hated to tackle him.

LJ had to run behind some not so great OL’s. The offense was also a mess in 2000 and not much better until late 2001.
He had an ego and that probably worked against him and the squad in terms of reps until 2002.
He was a complete back with top end speed. Opposing defenses probably hated to tackle him.
Just looked it up. Not one OL on the all BIG team, even honoroable mention. How do you you run for that many yards and not have even one all conference lineman?

Reactions: 83wuzme
Just looked it up. Not one OL on the all BIG team, even honoroable mention. How do you you run for that many yards and not have even one all conference lineman?
Yea I don't remember many good OL on those teams, EZ Smith was probably the best. It wasn't 2014-15 bad but it wasn't far behind.

I know, everyone's first though for PSU's GOAT RB is that Saquon is without a doubt the best, and I wouldn't argue with you; but.....watch these film highlights. Curt Warner was great on every aspect of the game and made Todd Blackledge look better than he actually was. I for one would be in favor of our QB taking snaps on the line of scrimmage as it gives the RB more time and space to see a hole or blocker to follow.

Warner had his best games against the biggest opponents such as Nebraska (ran for over 200 yards in both Lincoln and State College), USC (had more yards and TDs than Marcus Allen who won the Heisman that year), and of course Georgia for the national championship in 1982 (again outplayed that years Heiman winner - Hershel Walker). Unlike Saquon who lost lots of yards running in the backfield looking for the home-run play, Curt just went and got what he could and made his own extra yards on shear determination! Enjoy these highlights.

He was. And he delivered in the clutch too!

Warner got a lot of his TDs in the passing game through screen passes mainly. BTW, we were not a predominantly running team with Blackledge at QB. I can't argue though that Warner had a better OL to block for him and we did use a FB back then. It's very difficult to choose the best at anything since the teams varied so much in each era. Saquon was truly a "generational RB", but Curt Warner was too.
Yeah that team was the first to win the National Championship with more passing than rushing yards. Lucky enough to see that Championship game in person. Barkley vs. Warner is a lot closer call than some of the younger voters on here think.

Reactions: MacNit07
Wow - I have a signed, numbered serigraph of this (Dinner White Night). Mine is 255/350. The artist is asking $2K on his website for one (I wish him luck). I think I paid $75 on ebay for mine about 20 years ago. I spent a lot more to get it framed.

Dinner_White_Night_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
We have had so many great RBs over the years. Frankly Penn State could be LBU, RBU, OLU, DLU, TEU .....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT