LB Jacobs
DB King
DB Dixon
S Wheatley
S Ellis

Nickel Hardy
Dime Duck

Subs Ellies, Durant, Dennis-Sutton, Vanover

So with a lot of these guys set to return, just makes me scratch my head with Parker Washington even more. A lot of the guys in this class are foregoing a chance at the NFL for one more chance for something at Penn State, obviously they believe the team could be really good. And like Corrum at Michigan, Washintong is coming off a major injury which isn't the best prelude to the NFL draft when you are viewed as a 3rd-5th round guy. Everyone's circumstance is different, so I certainly respect his decision, just wonder if he would reconsider in light of so many guys coming back.

Enjoy this folks because it probably won't happen much in the future just by the nature of life. I applaud all of these young men and applaud the NIL that may be keeping them here. Would rather spend $$# on a Curtis Jacobs then some average DT from Texas State.

Penn State's defense in 2023 has a chance to be even better than the 2022 defense which is saying something considering they're losing guys like Joey Porter Jr and PJ Mustipher. That front seven is going to be the best Penn State has had in a very long time.
Who is replacing Mustipher in equal capacity? I hope so, but a block eating #1 is critical.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
Penn State's defense in 2023 has a chance to be even better than the 2022 defense which is saying something considering they're losing guys like Joey Porter Jr and PJ Mustipher. That front seven is going to be the best Penn State has had in a very long time.
Agreed. I think that front 7 is the best since 05.

Not sure Mustipher replaced Mustipher in an equal capacity. He never seemed to get back to his pre-injury effectiveness. So I think Izzard and Ellies with another year of development will do just fine.
Frankly, and I'm going to get attacked for this, but...I thought 99 and 91 were actually more effective than when 97 was in there this season.

So I got this.
DT Beamon
DT Izzard
DE Isaac
DE Robinson
LB Elsdon
LB Carter
LB Jacobs
DB King
DB Dixon
S Wheatley
S Ellis

Nickel Hardy
Dime Duck

Subs Ellies, Durant, Dennis-Sutton, Vanover
Reed was ahead of Wheatley in playing time and on depth charts I saw. But lots can happen between now and September.

And Elsdon hasn't even announced that he is returning yet. I'm betting that King passes him up at Mike LB between now and September as well. And with Robinson enrolled he may as well.

A very good looking starting 11 on D. But what I like the most about it is how deep the team is at every position on D. Coming out of the B/W game:

DT Beamon/Ellies/Durant
DT Izzard/van den Berg/Artis
DE Isaac/Vanover/Fisher
DE Robinson/DDS/Vilbert
Mike-LB King/Elsdon/Robinson(enrolled)
Will-LB Carter/Wylie/Rojas(enrolled)
Sam-LB Jacobs/DeLuka/Mills or Buddin
CB King/Wilson/Washington(enrolled) or Tracy (enrolled)
CB Dixon/Duck/Miller/
S Reed/Wheatley/Flowers
S Ellis/Winston/Payne (enrolled)

Nickel Hardy
Dime Duck

Great for PSU but also great for him I think. He's still developing as a player and could really improve his draft position. He, Carter and Elsdon were playing really well the latter part of the season.

THRILLED with Jacobs’ announcement and SO excited for what this D can do in 2023!

That said, just a couple of nitpicks: Kobe King really needs to take over the majority of snaps at M LB from Elsdon. Also, Beamon is simply not the answer at DT at his size. Maybe we’ll land that elusive Unicorn that is a DT with some beef from the transfer portal.

However, still psyched for 2023 and love our chances to make the playoffs!

WE ARE!!!

THRILLED with Jacobs’ announcement and SO excited for what this D can do in 2023!

That said, just a couple of nitpicks: Kobe King really needs to take over the majority of snaps at M LB from Elsdon. Also, Beamon is simply not the answer at DT at his size. Maybe we’ll land that elusive Unicorn that is a DT with some beef from the transfer portal.

However, still psyched for 2023 and love our chances to make the playoffs!

WE ARE!!!
Beamon has a world class weight room, coach, and training table. He can add up to 20 pounds of good weight.

It's up to him.

I don't know for certain but I do know this: PJ, while being solid this season, was about 60 percent of the dude he was before the injury in 21.
And was still the starter so……

It means we do need to find that OL occupying rock in the middle to keep them off our LB’s.

Reactions: sss
ADD: At least one of the incoming freshmen: Rojas, T. Robinson, Keys. Remember: who expected the impact Abdul Carter would have as a true FR? Also Add: Wylie, DeLuca, and possibly Winston.
Agree about possible help from the incoming freshmen.

After the performances of Carter, Singleton, Allen, and Drew Shelton this past season, Franklin will be more likely to play talented freshmen early.

Agree about possible help from the incoming freshmen.

After the performances of Carter, Singleton, Allen, and Drew Shelton this past season, Franklin will be more likely to play talented freshmen early.
Yep, and with Robinson and Rojas enrolled we should see fierce competition at LB. Which is why I believe Elsdon's playing time at Mike will decrease in 2023. He is just not quick enough or strong enough to make the plays PSU needs at Mike LB. JMO.

And with Williams and Birchmeier enrolled we may see one of them jump into serious competition on the Oline, where play improved in 2022 but with lots of room for further improvement even with a good many players with starting experience returning.......

Last edited:
Yep, and with Robinson and Rojas enrolled we should see fierce competition at LB. Which is why I believe Elsdon's playing time at Mike will decrease in 2023. He is just not quick enough or strong enough to make the plays PSU needs at Mike LB. JMO.

And wit Willaims and Birchmeier enrolled we may see one of them jump into serious competition on the Oline, where play improved in 2022 but with lots of room for further improvement even with a good many players with starting experience returning.......
I think Williams has a ways to go in terms of pass protection, from what I've read. I'd bet on Birchmeier being this OL class's main contributor in 2023.

I think Williams has a ways to go in terms of pass protection, from what I've read. I'd bet on Birchmeier being this OL class's main contributor in 2023.
That's what they say about Williams. And that he is long and extremely athletic which would lead me to believe he is destined to end up at OT where Franklin said that both Williams and Birchmeier will practice to start their PSU careers this Spring.

But with the makeup of the returning OL I'd love to see Birchmeier get moved to Center to begin Fall practice and end up a 3 year starter there. A big, tough, smart knock'em down and spit on them anchor in the middle of the OL for the next 3 years. :oops:

Last edited:
Who is replacing Mustipher in equal capacity? I hope so, but a block eating #1 is critical.

3 names to watch for their weight gains this off season.

1. Zane Durant - saw PT as a freshman, which is rare at DT. Would not be shocked if he hits 285+- this off season. Probably becomes a solid 3tech as a sophomore.

2. Jordan Van Der Berg - played more in '21, didn't gain much weight off season to '22 (wonder if he's the source of the Donald comment) but I think he's in the boat to grow now or he's probably getting passed over.

3. Kaleb Artis - already a 300+ pounder. Prime candidate to hit that 325-330 lbs weight. If he's only good for 2 downs and a breather, go for it if he can stuff the run.

3 names to watch for their weight gains this off season.

1. Zane Durant - saw PT as a freshman, which is rare at DT. Would not be shocked if he hits 285+- this off season. Probably becomes a solid 3tech as a sophomore.

2. Jordan Van Der Berg - played more in '21, didn't gain much weight off season to '22 (wonder if he's the source of the Donald comment) but I think he's in the boat to grow now or he's probably getting passed over.

3. Kaleb Artis - already a 300+ pounder. Prime candidate to hit that 325-330 lbs weight. If he's only good for 2 downs and a breather, go for it if he can stuff the run.
I thought Durant showed some great talent in limited playing time. Hope he continues to put on weight.
Not huge on Van Der Berg. I love Artis’ size, but I kind of think we would have heard more about him already if he had high end potential. We’ll see.

Reactions: lazydave841
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT