ADVERTISEMENT

D held Auburn to 119 rushing yards on 36 carries (3.3 ypc)

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
Damn impressive. Always amazed at pre-season comments by the supposed coaches - countless people were talking about how bare the cupboard was at LB, guess they didn't see the young LB talent that came in like CJF and staff did.....

Can't tell you how many posts were made here about how we were going to killed by Auburn's running attack by the always Negative Nellie's. Oh yeah, our weak running game might be able to rack up big numbers on Ohio, but not Auburn..... PSU put up 245 rushing yards on 39 carries, 6.3 ypc.

Damn impressive. Always amazed at pre-season comments by the supposed coaches - countless people were talking about how bare the cupboard was at LB, guess they didn't see the young LB talent that came in like CJF and staff did.....

Can't tell you how many posts were made here about how we were going to killed by Auburn's running attack by the always Negative Nellie's. Oh yeah, our weak running game might be able to rack up big numbers on Ohio, but not Auburn..... PSU put up 245 rushing yards on 39 carries, 6.3 ypc.
But don’t forget, you have to take out all of our big runs and then come up with an average….if you take out enough good plays, you will see how really bad we are.

We don't know how good Auburn's running game is as they haven't played a real game against a P5 team other than today. But we know that Bigsby is very good.

It's reasonable to expect PSU's run defense to improve as the LB's get more experienced and a rotation is more defined that includes Carter.

We don't know how good Auburn's running game is as they haven't played a real game against a P5 team other than today. But we know that Bigsby is very good.

It's reasonable to expect PSU's run defense to improve as the LB's get more experienced and a rotation is more defined that includes Carter.

Look, PSU's cupboard is far from bare at LB - if you can't see that PSU has young talent at both LB and DL, you're simply blind.

#1, PJ stepped up early and made some great penatration plays.

#2, the LBs found their stride the more the game went on. Carter is an absolute stud. He's a tackling machine, he's great on the blitz, and he's just getting into the groove of actually playing. King also made a few plays and played downhill better than he has been.

#3, entire DL, starters, reserves, all were very active today. Big difference not playing a team who throws in 1.9 seconds and a team who played their best version of keepaway.

#4, really like the adjustment of putting Brown in at Mike on the second half 3rd and longs. He could spy the QB run and read/break on passes (led to his INT).

I hope Auburn doesn't pack it in. They are talented. Defense is fast, but I think they wore down. BIG kudos to our OL and TEs blocking.

#1, PJ stepped up early and made some great penatration plays.

#2, the LBs found their stride the more the game went on. Carter is an absolute stud. He's a tackling machine, he's great on the blitz, and he's just getting into the groove of actually playing. King also made a few plays and played downhill better than he has been.

#3, entire DL, starters, reserves, all were very active today. Big difference not playing a team who throws in 1.9 seconds and a team who played their best version of keepaway.

#4, really like the adjustment of putting Brown in at Mike on the second half 3rd and longs. He could spy the QB run and read/break on passes (led to his INT).

I hope Auburn doesn't pack it in. They are talented. Defense is fast, but I think they wore down. BIG kudos to our OL and TEs blocking.
A performance for PSU fans to celebrate. Lots of resident couch coaches will be eating a steady diet of crow.

The PSU front 7 played better than I expected. Robinson is a player along with Isaac and Mustipher. Carter is a pleasant surprise at LB given his limited experience.

To be fair Auburn had to change it's offense once PSU took a big lead. Heck, Auburn had more total yards than PSU at halftime. The turnovers killed them.

The PSU front 7 played better than I expected. Robinson is a player along with Isaac and Mustipher. Carter is a pleasant surprise at LB given his limited experience.

To be fair Auburn had to change it's offense once PSU took a big lead. Heck, Auburn had more total yards than PSU at halftime. The turnovers killed them.
With or without turnovers they were doing nothing

Reactions: blmr31
King stood out to me in the little bit of game I was able to see. Seems like he, Jacobs, and Carter need to be the three starting linebackers.

Last edited:
Reactions: NittanyChris
Look, PSU's cupboard is far from bare at LB - if you can't see that PSU has young talent at both LB and DL, you're simply blind.
Brilliant "analysis". Who said "PSU's cuboard is bare at LB" ??

The young LB talent is getting better, but in the first two games the LB play was the weakest part of the defense.

Carter being an impact player is upgrading the unit, obvioiusly. But if you believe Elsdon and Sutherland classify as "young talent" get your vision checked.

Brilliant "analysis". Who said "PSU's cuboard is bare at LB" ??

The young LB talent is getting better, but in the first two games the LB play was the weakest part of the defense.

Carter being an impact player is upgrading the unit, obvioiusly. But if you believe Elsdon and Sutherland classify as "young talent" get your vision checked.
I don’t think he was talking about Elsdon and Sutherland, but thanks for the positive thoughts.

Reactions: CattyGuy51
Elsdon and King really upped their play. Much quicker to the ball than the first two games. Both were in the backfield hitting the runner not 5 yards down field. Jacobs and Carter both can really move and get to the passer. Carter is going to be special. He's dangerous for the other team's players to be near with the ball.

Elsdon and King really upped their play. Much quicker to the ball than the first two games. Both were in the backfield hitting the runner not 5 yards down field. Jacobs and Carter both can really move and get to the passer. Carter is going to be special. He's dangerous for the other team's players to be near with the ball.
I thought King has improved, but disagree on Elsdon. He’s slow and often out of position. Jacobs remains our best LB and Carter is an explosive tackler and gifted athlete. He’s going to be phenomenal and he’s already our second best LB.

But don’t forget, you have to take out all of our big runs and then come up with an average….if you take out enough good plays, you will see how really bad we are.
Hilarious dude, who was that after the Purdue game that re calculated our stats after omitting our two longest TD drives?

I was one of the doubters, but you have to admit this game played out differently than most thought. The biggest surprise to me was the OL opening up huge holes to run through, all the backs made good runs. And, where were these dominating DE earlier this year? The DL played very plain through most of the Ohio game then Manny started with stunts and blitzes. I think he was really holding a lot back for this game. OR Auburn just sucks REALLY bad on both sides of the ball, I hope it's not that!

I was one of the doubters, but you have to admit this game played out differently than most thought. The biggest surprise to me was the OL opening up huge holes to run through, all the backs made good runs. And where were these dominating DE earlier this year? The DL played very plain through most of the Ohio game then Manny started with stunts and blitzes. I think he was really holding a lot back for this game. OR Auburn just sucks REALLY bad on both sides of the ball, I hope it's not that!
Definite improvement in the OLine, but having RB’s that find the holes and hit the holes quickly makes the OLine look better. I don’t think the OLine was as bad last year as we thought, I think our RB’s didn’t help them out all that much.

Definite improvement in the OLine, but having RB’s that find the holes and hit the holes quickly makes the OLine look better. I don’t think the OLine was as bad last year as we thought, I think our RB’s didn’t help them out all that much.
Our backs the last few years were SLOWWWWWW. Being able to hold blocks for .5 seconds as a pose to 1 second makes a big difference for the line. To that point, much more downhill running in the run sets. Quick pitch, qb under center, all things helping the O-line. We make fun of casual fans here, but I think there was a lot of correct sentiment about getting the backs downhill and limiting these slow, shotgun, handoffs to flat footed slow backs like Lee and Cain.

Number one goal of a defensive game plan:
Make a running team throw or vice versa.

No, Go watch the replay. The OL opened up huge holes in this game, all the backs made long runs. They also gave Cliff time to throw.

Our backs the last few years were SLOWWWWWW. Being able to hold blocks for .5 seconds as a pose to 1 second makes a big difference for the line. To that point, much more downhill running in the run sets. Quick pitch, qb under center, all things helping the O-line. We make fun of casual fans here, but I think there was a lot of correct sentiment about getting the backs downhill and limiting these slow, shotgun, handoffs to flat footed slow backs like Lee and Cain.
I agree completely, I like putting Clifford under center and letting the backs gain momentum…it also helps the play action. I wish they would have done more of that with Barkley, but what are you gonna do?

Against Purdue and Ohio, yes, the Running backs made the difference, but in this game the OL was opening up large holes. Nick wasn't even touched for about 20 yards on one long run, it was very exciting to see!

"Confidence is very sexy, don't you think?"-Jack Palance

Reactions: AWS1022
No, Go watch the replay. The OL opened up huge holes in this game, all the backs made long runs. They also gave Cliff time to throw.
I’m not disagreeing, but look at last year, there were many times where there were holes, but the RB’s didn’t see them, or cut the wrong way, or didn’t get there fast enough. The broadcasters discussed that during the game and said it takes both the linemen and the backs to make the OLine look good.

Reactions: Gitzit
I agree completely, I like putting Clifford under center and letting the backs gain momentum…it also helps the play action. I wish they would have done more of that with Barkley, but what are you gonna do?
Nothing now, but yes, I thought Barkley would have been a certain Heisman winner and we would have won 3 or 4 more big games in his time here if we could have avoided the obligatory 5-10negative rushes a game.

Yesterday was the first time I can remember where we looked like a big ten offense, big tough O-line, backs running downhill decisively, QB controlling the game. It wasn't finesse, it wasn't overly reliant on "explosives." We got those big plays after we wore that team down.

Nothing now, but yes, I thought Barkley would have been a certain Heisman winner and we would have won 3 or 4 more big games in his time here if we could have avoided the obligatory 5-10negative rushes a game.

Yesterday was the first time I can remember where we looked like a big ten offense, big tough O-line, backs running downhill decisively, QB controlling the game. It wasn't finesse, it wasn't overly reliant on "explosives." We got those big plays after we wore that team down.
I just wish we would have handled that “SEC speed” a little better.😁

Yeah, very clear when Lee was in the game and wasn't getting nearly the yardage Singleton/Allen were getting with the same size holes.

Reactions: ram2020

Agree. I think the RBs were consistently stuffed on those shotgun handoff counters.

The runs to the edge by Nick in both the Ohio and Auburn games would have be stopped at the POS if Lee was running. They insisted on Lee running to the outside when he just does not have the speed. I really like him between the tackles. Couldn't help but notice the beautiful OL blocking by Tangwell and Strange on that trap play Nick ran for a TD. Olu is an absolute stud at LT.

On the one TD run by Nick, it reminded me of Barkley in the Bowl Game against Washington. The Auburn safety thought he had a bead on Nick until he realized how poor his angle was with the speed Nick and was left in the dust.

PSU recorded 6 sacks - and that's despite the fact that PSU rushers were constantly being held. The b1g clowns turned in another of their "screw PSU, you're lucky to even be playing performances". Non-called BEYOND BLATANT false start on 3rd-&-6 that led to Auburn's first FG.... multiple non-called Intentional Groundings (including one that was a Safety) - didn't even Review the plays which they're supposed to do in that situation. Multiple holding calls against PSU on passing plays - not a single holding call on Auburn on a passing play (or broken passing play) - only OL hold call on Auburn was on an edge run where Chop Robinson was blatantly held. Absurd holding call on Dixon in defensive secondary bailing out Auburn on a failed 3rd-&-long -- the call was absurdly inconsistent with numerous non-calls on Auburn d-backs riding PSU receivers all over the place, etc., etc., etc..... b1g Officiating, and Front Office, is so blatantly anti-PSU, it isn't even funny - the new AD publicly spoke about how ridiculous it is that PSU has been scheduled for b1g Openers on the road 12 of the last 13 seasons including the last 7 consecutive seasons. But for all the b1g-apologists, this isn't a clear indication of bias, it's just a weird coincidence that the was purely accidental and could have easily happened to duhO$U or scUM. I hope the new AD also goes public with the absolutely bullshit officiating that PSU receives from these hack b1g crews - utterly ridiculous and it's been going on since the moment we began b1g play in 1993.

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
Lots of bad calls and non calls but none of those were intentional grounding.

Absolutely were - the one CJF went ballistic on and called a TO, didn't even cross the LOS.

I think there was an Auburn WR 1-2 yards away from where the ball fell, which with a pass rush doesn't get flagged USUALLY.

I still would have liked it called, but scoreboard says...Auburn got thumped.

I think there was an Auburn WR 1-2 yards away from where the ball fell, which with a pass rush doesn't get flagged USUALLY.

I still would have liked it called, but scoreboard says...Auburn got thumped.

Nope, doesn't matter if RB was there or not when ball is thrown directly sideways OB - it has to cross LOS or it's IG (the ball in question did not cross LOS and landed close to the stands - that is IG by rule except when you're dealing with b1g clowns and a PSU opponent.

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT