ADVERTISEMENT

Do alumni need to file a class action lawsuit to see the Franco Harris video?

B_Levinson

Jun 27, 2014
To: Penn State Alumni Association

cc: alumni networking

http://onwardstate.com/2016/06/10/a...d-for-withholding-franco-harris-speech-video/

“While we respect the opinions offered by this year’s Lion’s Paw Medal recipient, they were out of place at this event,” Clifford said. “The Alumni Association neither endorses nor opposes the content, but we can’t ignore the mixed response expressed by many in attendance and the distraction from the other honored guests in attendance, as well as from our 50th Reunion Class and Penn State Pioneers. Because there was a mixed reaction, we’ve decided not to release the video…we don’t want to do anything to further divide the Penn State family.”

As with any other controversial publication, those who do not like the content are free to not view the video, but my dues and the dues of every other PSAA member helped pay (directly or indirectly) for the event which means those of us who do want to see the video have the right to do so.

I recall that alumni had to file a lawsuit when the PSAA’s leaders, in violation of the organization’s bylaws, tried to keep Jim Smith and Elizabeth Morgan off the ballot last year. Will it be necessary for PSAA’s members to explore a class action lawsuit to gain access to the Franco Harris video? As for dividing the Penn State family, the decision by PSAA’s leadership to tell us what we can and cannot see is presumptuous and over the line, and I personally consider it a deliberately hostile act that invites and even requires a response in kind such as what I just described. In addition, of course, donations to PSAA should be out of the question until the so-called leadership recognizes that its purpose is to serve its members rather than lord it over them and tell them what they should and should not see or hear.

This is just another example of the vapid leadership at the PSAA. Had they just released it, without comment, it would have created a momentary buzz and then become a non issue. Instead, they guaranteed an ongoing controversy and made themselves look like fools in the process.

This is just another example of the vapid leadership at the PSAA. Had they just released it, without comment, it would have created a momentary buzz and then become a non issue. Instead, they guaranteed an ongoing controversy and made themselves look like fools in the process.

If you will allow my edit on your behalf, look like the fools that they are in the process.

Exactly!!!! This literally shows (frankly) just how inept, childish, and out of touch the PSU AA leadership is.

They have taken an unheard speech that would have been quickly forgotten in 1-2 days.......... and now made it almost a 'call to arms' on social media among alumni and fans.

Reactions: step.eng69 and Ski

I get the feeling that Paul Clifford really had no idea what he was getting into when he took his position. Wouldn't surprise me to see him leave by the end of 2017. He seems like a nice guy, but shouldn't an alumnus have that job anyway?

Call to arms? Seriously? About 50 people responded on Facebook. That's hardly a call to arms. More like a whimper. Fact is, outside of a handful of zealots, nobody really cares what Franco has to say anymore.

I get the feeling that Paul Clifford really had no idea what he was getting into when he took his position. Wouldn't surprise me to see him leave by the end of 2017. He seems like a nice guy, but shouldn't an alumnus have that job anyway?
because the purpose there isn't to serve the alumni, it seems they might prefer a non-alum

Exactly!!!! This literally shows (frankly) just how inept, childish, and out of touch the PSU AA leadership is.

They have taken an unheard speech that would have been quickly forgotten in 1-2 days.......... and now made it almost a 'call to arms' on social media among alumni and fans.

I really think they enjoy pissing off alumni.

Call to arms? Seriously? About 50 people responded on Facebook. That's hardly a call to arms. More like a whimper. Fact is, outside of a handful of zealots, nobody really cares what Franco has to say anymore.
even fewer care what you have to say

Reactions: Ski
Important people don't "Facebook", but apparently you do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT