ADVERTISEMENT

Do we need to blitz like crazy vs OSU.

PSUWrestlingFanSince2011

Mar 22, 2022
We need to put pressure on Stroud or else he is going to torch us. Besides Auburn we havent been able to pressure QBs consistently.

Against this OSU OL I dont see us getting pressure on Stroud without blitzing. Yes it may cost us for a few big plays but I don't see any other option.

Yes we have good dbs, but if you give the Heisman trophy frontrunner QB with the wr weapons that he has all day to throw it will be lights out.

We need to put pressure on Stroud or else he is going to torch us. Besides Auburn we havent been able to pressure QBs consistently.

Against this OSU OL I dont see us getting pressure on Stroud without blitzing. Yes it may cost us for a few big plays but I don't see any other option.

Yes we have good dbs, but if you give the Heisman trophy frontrunner QB with the wr weapons that he has all day to throw it will be lights out.
Excessive blitzing gets you burned.

We blitz like crazy in every game. The only way we can blitz more is if we go cover 0 on every play.

Blitz like crazy if it works. If it doesn't, stay home and play coverage. Trying to do a little Sunday morning couch coaching on Thrursday.

Live by the blitz; die by the blitz. I disagree, Penn State has a good secondary so play cover and try to get pressure without blitzing. Would help if Chop can play on Saturday.

Reactions: bluewhiteApos
We blitz like crazy in every game. The only way we can blitz more is if we go cover 0 on every play.
And our sack rate is ranked 92nd in the country. We have to find a way to somehow get pressure on Stroud. I think this is a Dennis-Sutton game. But tbh I dont see us getting enough pressure on Stroud regardless and hes going to have a big game.

Reactions: 84Lion
Blitz like crazy if it works. If it doesn't, stay home and play coverage. Trying to do a little Sunday morning couch coaching on Thrursday.

OSUs wrs are too good for that. We didnt pressure O'Connel and look what Purdues wrs did to us. Imagine OSU's.

Get some sacks, get the crowd going so loud that OSU can't hear anything. The next thing you know Stroud throws a pick 6 to Porter jr bc of communication issues and bc he was under pressure. Ladies and Gentleman we have a ballgame. Bring the heat.

OSU has only given up 4 sacks all year. I was an OC not a DC but here is how I might play it. I would attempt to disguise my coverages as best a possible to create some uncertainty by Stroud. He is not a runner, so there is no need to spy him. If I blitz him I'm only going with 5 or I zone blitz him dropping a DE into a zone. If we go to cover zero, he will kill us. The best way to play them is to get them off schedule and create passing downs where you take away their balance. Their balanced offense if the killer. I know, easier said than done. This game is on our DB's.

OSU has only given up 4 sacks all year. I was an OC not a DC but here is how I might play it. I would attempt to disguise my coverages as best a possible to create some uncertainty by Stroud. He is not a runner, so there is no need to spy him. If I blitz him I'm only going with 5 or I zone blitz him dropping a DE into a zone. If we go to cover zero, he will kill us. The best way to play them is to get them off schedule and create passing downs where you take away their balance. Their balanced offense if the killer. I know, easier said than done. This game is on our DB's.
Yes not going cover 0 but we need to get pressure on Stroud. I dont think we can get pressure on Stroud without bringing an extra guy. Our D has shown that our pass rush is a weakness, vs this OSU Oline will be no different.

Blitzing is great if you get home with it. Too often I've seen us bring guys but not get the sack or at least a hurry. When that happens, you get the worst of all worlds.

It will be interesting to see what strategy Manny uses. His instincts run to the aggressive side. I do agree that it's critical we get some pressure on their QB.

From high school to professional football there are only a handful of QBs that can somewhat reliably handle pressure - Brady, Mahomes, Rogers, Allen, Roethlisberger before retiring. I'm sure I've missed a few. BUT, since virtually every other QB cannot reliably handle pressure I say blitz, blitz, blitz and then blitz again, until the cows come home. Put our "best secondary in the B1G" on islands and see what happens. I cannot see that ending up any worse than, as others here have said, leaving Stroud back there with plenty of time to pick the secondary apart.

Best case for us is O$U scores 21-24 points. Holding them under that is unrealistic. They could put up 40 plus relatively easily. If they score 24 we have a decent shot if the offense is clicking. If they go over 30 then I think we are toast.

Get some sacks, get the crowd going so loud that OSU can't hear anything. The next thing you know Stroud throws a pick 6 to Porter jr bc of communication issues and bc he was under pressure. Ladies and Gentleman we have a ballgame. Bring the heat.
Well that was easy. Maybe I'll try: break several long runs to bring the safeties up and then throw some long completions over coverage. I think that you might be on to something here.

We need to shut down their running game first. Day watched the Michigan game.

We need to shut down their running game first. Day watched the Michigan game.
As crazy as it may sound, we need to trust our D-Line and our gap corrections that we have hopefully made since Michigan. I think we have found something with Izzard up front getting the majority of snaps last game. And I think that it will help having Carter in there as well.

Best case for us is O$U scores 21-24 points. Holding them under that is unrealistic. They could put up 40 plus relatively easily. If they score 24 we have a decent shot if the offense is clicking. If they go over 30 then I think we are toast.
Yeah I think thats the mark, 24-27 that we have to keep them to. Wont be easy.

As crazy as it may sound, we need to trust our D-Line and our gap corrections that we have hopefully made since Michigan. I think we have found something with Izzard up front getting the majority of snaps last game. And I think that it will help having Carter in there as well.
Perhaps, but if I was a coach watching the Michigan film, I would be licking my chops, especially with TOSU’s offensive line and backs.

On both D and O, I'd like to see us let it all hang out. Have some fun and play to win rather than play not to lose.

I mean, seriously, nobody expects us to beat them anyway so why not go down (if that's what happens) taking our best shot rather than just trying to keep the score respectable.

If they take that approach, who knows, the boys could surprise people...maybe even themselves.

Reactions: 81b&w
Perhaps, but if I was a coach watching the Michigan film, I would be licking my chops, especially with TOSU’s offensive line and backs.
Gotta pick your poison. I'd focus on their passing game. Harrison Jr, Egbuka, Fleming. Now Njigba may now be back? Oh and they have the Heisman front runner at QB. Yikes.

Reactions: dailybuck777

Actually the opposite: We need to get pressure with 4 and mix man with zone.

Reactions: Mister Magoo
That's where I'm at too. OSU has too much talent, they are going to score points. Sure it's going to be important for the defense to step up, but it's about limiting OSU, stopping them is unlikely. There's going to be a lot of pressure on the PSU offense to score points and not fall too far behind. I think we need to score a minimum of 24 to be competitive in this one.

Can't forget about the run game -- that is why OSU is able to be dynamic, regardless the field position. If Henderson and Williams are pounding us up front, with 4-5-6 yds a carry, it will be a long day. I think most teams get caught up in stopping the pass game, understandably so, but then that enables the RB's to feast.

Reactions: SR108
Need 2 be sending JP Jr. on the blitz and #33 on more snaps and doing sneaky stuff dropping back into pass coverage qb spy stuff too.

YES. Cant let Stroud get comfortable. The WR are too good no matter how good our Defense is. Go for the nuts on this one. Blitz Carter or Jacobs every play. Sub in speed DL than size, this aint Michigan. Have a set where we blitz and the DL is Chop, Tarburton, DDS, Issac......get after this guy. Its the only chance we have.

From high school to professional football there are only a handful of QBs that can somewhat reliably handle pressure - Brady, Mahomes, Rogers, Allen, Roethlisberger before retiring. I'm sure I've missed a few. BUT, since virtually every other QB cannot reliably handle pressure I say blitz, blitz, blitz and then blitz again, until the cows come home. Put our "best secondary in the B1G" on islands and see what happens. I cannot see that ending up any worse than, as others here have said, leaving Stroud back there with plenty of time to pick the secondary apart.
Funny I routinely see QBs playing each week against PSU throw for first downs against the blitz.

YES. Cant let Stroud get comfortable. The WR are too good no matter how good our Defense is. Go for the nuts on this one. Blitz Carter or Jacobs every play. Sub in speed DL than size, this aint Michigan. Have a set where we blitz and the DL is Chop, Tarburton, DDS, Issac......get after this guy. Its the only chance we have.
You people are insane. No blitzing. Mix man and zone, keep everything in front of you, make them be picture perfect for 80 yards on 10 plus plays.

Reactions: SR108
Funny I routinely see QBs playing each week against PSU throw for first downs against the blitz.
Exactly. Blitzing non stop is a disaster in thos game. Think about how Illinois held down our juggernaut in 1994....FORCED us to go 80 l
Plus yards on 10 or more plays for every drive but one....THATS how you keep them to 30 points or less. Yes, Illinois lost that game but if they have a better offense who knows? Play this one close to the vest and if our offense can get a td per quarter....I love our chances to Take this game Into deep water.

Can't forget about the run game -- that is why OSU is able to be dynamic, regardless the field position. If Henderson and Williams are pounding us up front, with 4-5-6 yds a carry, it will be a long day. I think most teams get caught up in stopping the pass game, understandably so, but then that enables the RB's to feast.
32 did Jack $hit against us for 20 carries last year other than the busted run for 60 plus.

I'm not worried about their running game. And IF they try to run the ball this game that's going to play into our hands because they are gonna be 3rd and behind the chains all day long.

You people are insane. No blitzing. Mix man and zone, keep everything in front of you, make them be picture perfect for 80 yards on 10 plus plays.

We kept things in front of us in 2016 because they had to check down because we were sending Cabinda like crazy. Go ahead and give Stroud time, he is one of the most accurate qb's I've seen at this level and his WR are all world. Watch the Utah Game last year, they kept everything in front of them.....

We go out passive and we get boat raced and with 2 blowout losses end up in the Citrus Bowl instead of a NY6.

32 did Jack $hit against us for 20 carries last year other than the busted run for 60 plus.

I'm not worried about their running game. And IF they try to run the ball this game that's going to play into our hands because they are gonna be 3rd and behind the chains all day long.
Ok

I'd still be shocked if he goes to a full on heavy run game.
Me too. We looked like we had no idea what gap responsibility was. Watch the Coach Codutti Film, breaks it down perfectly. You would think that Diaz fixed it so don't expect OSU to not do what they do.

If we had DEs and DTs that could get to the QB rushing 4 then I'd agree but we don't, and OSU's OL is good. You act like OSU can't burn us for a long td if we don't blitz. Trust me, the OSU wrs will do whatever they want if Stroud has all day to throw.

It's both pass and run herein lies the problem. Heck, the more I think about this we may be down 3-4 TDs before we get any kind of stop. Just thinking they will move the ball at will on us. Hopefully not but can see it happening.

We have to start fast otherwise I think we just fall further and further behind them. We cannot let them cruise down the field on their first possession for a TD. I think that opens up the flood gates for them and they are off to the races. I do not see us making some kind of miraculous comeback on them. If we can score first or limit what they do offensively on the first couple of possessions then they know they are in for a fight. That gets the crowd pumped, mentally they know they will have to work hard for the W and all the pressure shifts to them.

ADVERTISEMENT