ADVERTISEMENT

Do we need to blitz like crazy vs OSU.

You people are insane. No blitzing. Mix man and zone, keep everything in front of you, make them be picture perfect for 80 yards on 10 plus plays.
That's kind of what ND did - they were dropping their safeties the whole game and wouldn't let anything get behind them. The problem was that OSU figured it out at halftime and just reverted to pounding the ball on the ground the 2nd half and just completely took over the game

And OSU didnt
That's kind of what ND did - they were dropping their safeties the whole game and wouldn't let anything get behind them. The problem was that OSU figured it out at halftime and just reverted to pounding the ball on the ground the 2nd half and just completely took over the game
And OSU didnt have Fleming or NJigba playing.

The Buckeyes actually didn't. They didn't start running the ball until the final 7 minute drive. I rewatched the game a month ago and posted it in another thread. They didn't rely on the run until the 95 yard drive.

Bottom line, we are F'ed. OSU will adjust and blow us out because we have bad coordinators and a mediocre head coach who recruits some positions well, some not well and can't assemble a staff capable of using what they have.

I've been listening to a lot of OSU experts, and they say that Stroud doesn't like to get hit. Its why he doesnt run the ball when he has open space in front of him, even with covered up receivers. Even more reason to blitz and try to get after him. Even if you dont sack him, getting hits on him can add up.

We have to start fast otherwise I think we just fall further and further behind them. We cannot let them cruise down the field on their first possession for a TD. I think that opens up the flood gates for them and they are off to the races. I do not see us making some kind of miraculous comeback on them. If we can score first or limit what they do offensively on the first couple of possessions then they know they are in for a fight. That gets the crowd pumped, mentally they know they will have to work hard for the W and all the pressure shifts to them.
I agree and perhaps the offense will be a little more aggressive early in the game than to run predictable off tackle plays into a stacked run defense on both possessions like PSU did against Michigan. When you are a big underdog, you have to play aggressively and take some chances IMO

The biggest fix from the UM game was moving Jacobs back to his old position and having Carter take his spot. LB play last week was so much better.
Jacbos looked like an All Big 10 player, and Carter needs to be on the field as much as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 81b&w and ryoder1
Need 2 be sending JP Jr. on the blitz and #33 on more snaps and doing sneaky stuff dropping back into pass coverage qb spy stuff too.
I'm not a big X's and O's guy but I'd think we'd be better off keeping JPJ in coverage. Sending our best cover corner on a blitz is going to give OSU's WRs a better matchup, and they are already among the best in the country. We don't need to do them any favors.

You people are insane. No blitzing. Mix man and zone, keep everything in front of you, make them be picture perfect for 80 yards on 10 plus plays.
Problem is they have the talent across the board on offense to be nearly perfect on a long drive.

I agree and perhaps the offense will be a little more aggressive early in the game than to run predictable off tackle plays into a stacked run defense on both possessions like PSU did against Michigan. When you are a big underdog, you have to play aggressively and take some chances IMO
I think we will be aggressive. If we get the ball first we have to at least get a few first downs and ideally get points. A quick 3 and out that leads to them marching right down the field sets an ominous tone and one that is hard to recover from.

Reactions: 81b&w
I've been listening to a lot of OSU experts, and they say that Stroud doesn't like to get hit. Its why he doesnt run the ball when he has open space in front of him, even with covered up receivers. Even more reason to blitz and try to get after him. Even if you dont sack him, getting hits on him can add up.
I imagine this is true. Saw an interview the other day. He's pretty slightly built. I imagine the coaches are telling him to avoid the big hits too! That said, the kid is good and can buy time like nobody's business.

I don't know how to defend OSU. If we're going to blitz a lot, we better mix it up.

I'm not a big X's and O's guy but I'd think we'd be better off keeping JPJ in coverage. Sending our best cover corner on a blitz is going to give OSU's WRs a better matchup, and they are already among the best in the country. We don't need to do them any favors.

Of the CBs, I like sending Johnnie Dixon on a blitz.

Reactions: psuno1
And Stroud just sitting in the pocket with little to no pressure doesnt?
I said "excessive" blitzing.

IMO we need to blitz strategically and keep Stroud guessing. Both Pry & Diaz have a history of blitzing quite often. I assume it's part of trying to make an explosive play.

As said above, the offense needs to score points but I would take the offense putting some drives together points or not. Getting first downs and making sure that the defense is not on the field constantly will be key. On the other side, the defense needs to get off the field on 3rd down. If the number of plays that the defense has to be on the field can be kept in check, then you have a fighting chance.

We need to put pressure on Stroud or else he is going to torch us. Besides Auburn we havent been able to pressure QBs consistently.

Against this OSU OL I dont see us getting pressure on Stroud without blitzing. Yes it may cost us for a few big plays but I don't see any other option.

Yes we have good dbs, but if you give the Heisman trophy frontrunner QB with the wr weapons that he has all day to throw it will be lights out.
After last weeks game against IOWA.. with an assuming running game..one would think Ohio State will be heavily focused on establishing that kart of their offense..

if it does not work they will go right to the last with their dangerous weapons..

PSU however on paper seems to match up better against OSU than Michigan., plus the home tied and the stadium will be rocking.. they beat the spread.. nit sure about the game however..

Reactions: indynittany
Actually the opposite: We need to get pressure with 4 and mix man with zone.
Correct, we need to worry about running not passing. Out of control blitzing, losing containment, overpursuing, bad angles, etc. killed us versus UM.

I think playing solid up front, keeping our linebackers free in space and blitz in key situations gives us the best chance.

Reactions: Parkerdam555
Correct, we need to worry about running not passing. Out of control blitzing, losing containment, overpursuing, bad angles, etc. killed us versus UM.

I think playing solid up front, keeping our linebackers free in space and blitz in key situations gives us the best chance.
Not what Diaz does. History says, Diaz will continue to send line + two on almost every play early, move to line + three then line + four dependent on formation.

Correct. People who think Ohio State will come in here and go full on "air rade" offense are wrong. For one, that can't be done in Beaver Stadium because of crowd noise levels" and for two, Ohio State knows full well that too many three and outs are going to put their defense at a compromised position.

This game needs to be played by creating 3rd and Long, then getting in Strouds face and actually putting a hit or two on him.

People acting as if this secondary is full of holes are dead wrong. This is probably 1 of maybe 3 or 4 secondary groups in the entire nation that can actually play toe to toe with them. Gotta play physical all day, and make every 10 to 15 yard completion a challenge and a toll.

Reactions: indynittany
Correct. People who think Ohio State will come in here and go full on "air rade" offense are wrong. For one, that can't be done in Beaver Stadium because of crowd noise levels" and for two, Ohio State knows full well that too many three and outs are going to put their defense at a compromised position.

This game needs to be played by creating 3rd and Long, then getting in Strouds face and actually putting a hit or two on him.

People acting as if this secondary is full of holes are dead wrong. This is probably 1 of maybe 3 or 4 secondary groups in the entire nation that can actually play toe to toe with them. Gotta play physical all day, and make every 10 to 15 yard completion a challenge and a toll.
I agree but I kinda hope Joey Porter isn't reading this :)

The goal is to hold them under 28. We do THAT, then we win this game PROVIDED our offense produces.
If we score 30+, we might win, or lose by 20.
I think PSU has a good chance to move it well and put up some points. Limit OSU’s possessions and we have more than a puncher’s chance.

If we score 30+, we might win, or lose by 20.
I think PSU has a good chance to move it well and put up some points. Limit OSU’s possessions and we have more than a puncher’s chance.
They could get 50, and then again they could get 24.

The issue is our LB core. Buccy is going to target them up the middle and n space. If we can stop them from doing that (~4ypp) we have a chance.

#33 dropping back into pass coverage

b81.gif

FragrantNewGrunion-max-1mb.gif

ADVERTISEMENT