ADVERTISEMENT

Does State College airport need a longer runway?

It is buried in the USC thread but it appears that PSU drove to Harrisburg to use their airport so we could use a single plane. However, a poster is saying that UCLA flew into state college with two 737-800s. In listening to Franklin, he seems to say that with all the players and weight, we can't use a single plane. If UCLA used two, that seems to make sense. And, of course, two would be much more expensive than one.

CJF also goes on to say that this was a problem that was identified when the B1G expanded to the west coast.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I could have sworn they expanded it to accommodate a 747 back in the Paterno years. I guess not.
Not that I expected CJF to know the specifics, but what kind of runway extension and modifications would be required to accommodate the aircraft required for this cross country flight(s)?

He also mentioned requiring terminal modifications. The devil is always in the details.

Any civil engineers or others familiar with the necessary requirements for this project care to chime in, it would be appreciated.....

I think one issue for airlines with bigger planes is the lack of local air traffic control. At least that was always discussed in the past. Air traffic control isn't done from the local tower and was done out of New York. I don't know if any of that is still true or ever was true.

I always thought that in the past PSU was able to fly one 737 out of State College to all their games. I'm sure like everything else they need more room and capacity.

Not that I expected CJF to know the specifics, but what kind of runway extension and modifications would be required to accommodate the aircraft required for this cross country flight(s)?

He also mentioned requiring terminal modifications. The devil is always in the details.

Any civil engineers or others familiar with the necessary requirements for this project care to chime in, it would be appreciated.....
And not to sound dismissive but Coach Franklin makes upwards of $10 million per year. I’m sure he could kick in for airport upgrades to help his team and the community who pays that salary with minimal impact to his lifestyle.

It’s not just the runway length that would need to be addressed. He surface of the runways, taxiways and ramp areas need to be able to handle a heavy jet (greater than 300,000 pounds). Wingtip clearance is also an issue. For example, there are 35 foot light poles on he north end of the Deice apron. Is the ramp area in front of the terminal building adequate?

Reactions: Obliviax
As far as air traffic control goes, pilots can and do land in SC using instrument approaches. Landing to the southwest, hey need 1/2 mile visibility. Landing to the northeast, they need 1 mile visibility. If a local altimeter setting can’t be obtained, that goes up to 1 1/8 mile visibility.

Sounds like an expensive project.
Can’t imagine spending all that $$$ just so some football players don’t have to ride a bus for an hour three times a year.

YES and it needs direct flights to Cali, Texas, Chicago, Florida, Florida and Florida on the big recruiting weekends. Get it done.

?

There's no issue for recruiting flights as they don't need the same size plane as flying the entire team somewhere. Franklin and the other coaches fly out of State College for recruiting visits.

Reactions: NedFromYork
It is buried in the USC thread but it appears that PSU drove to Harrisburg to use their airport so we could use a single plane. However, a poster is saying that UCLA flew into state college with two 737-800s. In listening to Franklin, he seems to say that with all the players and weight, we can't use a single plane. If UCLA used two, that seems to make sense. And, of course, two would be much more expensive than one.

CJF also goes on to say that this was a problem that was identified when the B1G expanded to the west coast.
Ok, thanks. I’m not sure if this is legitimate or Franklin is crafting the narrative already for why we may struggle in west coast games. James is very good at coming up with ideas to spend other peoples’ money. If he makes the playoff and wins atleast one game I’ll sell my house and donate the proceeds to a new run way/terminals/light posts etc.

Ok, thanks. I’m not sure if this is legitimate or Franklin is crafting the narrative already for why we may struggle in west coast games. James is very good at coming up with ideas to spend other peoples’ money. If he makes the playoff and wins atleast one game I’ll sell my house and donate the proceeds to a new run way/terminals/light posts etc.
Good point. it sounded like CJF was trying to say that this was discussed and considered part of the expansion so get your ass moving and get it done. But I could be wrong.

Reactions: bison13
And not to sound dismissive but Coach Franklin makes upwards of $10 million per year. I’m sure he could kick in for airport upgrades to help his team and the community who pays that salary with minimal impact to his lifestyle.
Exactly. He can be part of the solution.

They flew into SC on two separate jets but bussed to HBG and flew one jet out of HBG to LA. Beautiful drive and for a team from LA what’s 90 mins.

Air force one landed in 2011:

Air Force One is a designation. That plane is what is generally considered Air Force Two flown by the VP. It's a 757-200 (twin-engine mid-range narrowbody), whereas the plane we think of as Air Force One is a VC-25A, a modified 747-200B (quad-jet widebody with a second deck up front).

Air Force Two can take off and land in that kind of executive use as the engine power and fuel needed easily meets operating requirements for the airport.

Air Force One needs over 8,000 feet of runway at sea level.

If you click on the article you link, you'll be able to easily see these are two completely different planes by looking at the number of engines under each wing.

I don’t understand why the tech stop for fuel is undesirable versus bussing to Harrisburg. If they fly United they’d be able to stop at O’Hare or Denver with a minor deviation, if that. Probably less than an hour added on to the trip if planned properly.

I read that a 1600 foot extension of the runway is in the master plan but no idea on if/when. That would make non-stop flights to LAX possible in something like an A321 if they keep the weight under 110 tons. A 757 could make it with the current runway length but is too heavy once it is full of fuel and payload.

?

There's no issue for recruiting flights as they don't need the same size plane as flying the entire team somewhere. Franklin and the other coaches fly out of State College for recruiting visits.

There is an issue. Recruits fly commercial. Joe even said there was an issue. Recruits dont want to take two planes and then rent a car for a 4 hour drive to PSU. Direct flights are an advantage.

State College airport’s single runway is 6,700 ft. Depending on the plane model the larger 2 aisle aircraft need 8000 to 9200 ft of runway at sea level. Also you need to account for the higher weight not only of the bigger planes on runways and taxiways but you also have to account for the added weight of a full fuel load for trans continental flights. Sounds like a pretty expensive project. .

Hardly. You have no idea how much airport upgrades cost.

Yes it's an issue. Yes State College and Penn State are behind and need to catch up. Some of you make it sound like Franklin was personally booking these flights through Expedia.

Hardly. You have no idea how much airport upgrades cost.
If I can donate a year of my salary to my kid’s school, Franklin can find a way. And recruits don’t want to take a plane and rent a car? Don’t make me laugh. This whole system is way out of control.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT