ADVERTISEMENT

Don't like 'recent' trend of recruits putting jersey on...

dna1995

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2004
Seems like all visitors put on the uniform and pose. this seems to me to be a new trend and I'm not sure I'm for it. Should be a big part of committing, being able to put on the jersey, etc. Minor issue perhaps but something I'be been noticing lately. Hope Kaindoh comes here - but seeing him in both Maryland and PSU gear during his visits is weird - something I didn't see a few years ago with football recruiting.

Thoughts?

Meh...no biggie for me. I think it's just an example of kids having fun with the process. If it were me, i'd try to get Jack Ham's # 33 or one of the other great LB's

Giving recruits the ability to see themselves physically in a Penn State uniform can't do anything but help the recruit see themselves at Penn State.

We've also made a number of small improvements over the past few years to make the uniforms more appealing to recruits and to make the overall PSU football aesthetic more attractive. I have no problem showing it off to recruits.

Reactions: john4psu
Is it a recent trend or has it been going on for awhile and we're only just now able to see it more because of social media such as twitter?

Seems like all visitors put on the uniform and pose. this seems to me to be a new trend and I'm not sure I'm for it. Should be a big part of committing, being able to put on the jersey, etc. Minor issue perhaps but something I'be been noticing lately. Hope Kaindoh comes here - but seeing him in both Maryland and PSU gear during his visits is weird - something I didn't see a few years ago with football recruiting.

Thoughts?

Probably something that's been going on all the time - just much more noticeable in this Twitter-driven universe

Thoughts?
If a recruit is seen wearing a Penn State jersey, it at shows he thinks Penn State is worthy of consideration, even if he ends up elsewhere. The bigger the star factor, the bigger the impact, but I think it's a positive message overall.

All schools do it for their recruiting visits. They lay out a table of all equipment from jerseys, helmets, customized gloves, cleats, Nike sneakers, to pretty much everything.

From there, it's up to recruits if they want to just look, try on, pose for pictures in it, etc.

I agree with you that you are seeing it more, and this would be to the ongoing increase of social media. Not all but many recruits like the publicity and attention of posting a picture in a school's jersey and then getting 100 retweets and 50 new followers, and some just like to see what they would look like in that jersey.

You learn not to read into it too much. As that same recruits may take visits to 20 other schools and try on 20 different jerseys, but at least they took the time to visit your school and put it is as an importance.

Recruiting has changed so much over the years, and I truly believe social media is the reason. 10 years ago, you didn't have 1/4 of the amount of "decommits" (which is a hilarious word to me as I don't think many know the definition of commitment. Kids visiting other schools while "committed" to another school) as you do today.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
All schools do it for their recruiting visits. They lay out a table of all equipment from jerseys, helmets, customized gloves, cleats, Nike sneakers, to pretty much everything.

From there, it's up to recruits if they want to just look, try on, pose for pictures in it, etc.

I agree with you that you are seeing it more, and this would be to the ongoing increase of social media. Not all but many recruits like the publicity and attention of posting a picture in a school's jersey and then getting 100 retweets and 50 new followers, and some just like to see what they would look like in that jersey.

You learn not to read into it too much. As that same recruits may take visits to 20 other schools and try on 20 different jerseys, but at least they took the time to visit your school and put it is as an importance.

Recruiting has changed so much over the years, and I truly believe social media is the reason. 10 years ago, you didn't have 1/4 of the amount of "decommits" (which is a hilarious word to me as I don't think many know the definition of commitment. Kids visiting other schools while "committed" to another school) as you do today.

Why should teenagers be held to a higher standard than all of the adults involved in the process?

Why should teenagers be held to a higher standard than all of the adults involved in the process?
Are you talking about the decommitting part?

If so, I completely agree that coaches should not be getting bought out of their contracts and jumping ship each season like what seems to happen more often now. I think it's different for them as in, this is a job and people jump jobs all the time.

You then are going to bring up the part that you think the players should be paid as these schools/NCAA are making money off of them...
This is where I completely disagree, as athletes technically are getting paid. As a former D1 football player and been through this process. I have received a $100,000 piece of paper that is hanging on my office wall. I have also received numerous free meals, clothes, housing, and the list goes on. Even though I did not physically get a check or cash put in my hand, I received a lot of 'payments' for representing a school that makes money off of me.

If I would have decided to go to college and pay with loans, etc. like most I like to think of my scholarship and other benefits of being a student-athlete as at least $200,000 payment throughout my 5-years at school

Although the powerhouse programs bring in dozens of recruits, the high schools these boys attend might see only a very few each year. Thus, the photo op is a huge deal "back home," allowing all the athlete's family and friends see him in an authentic jersey from a team they all watch on Saturdays.

I am okay with the jersey thing; it's the cap "bait and switch" routine that I find tiresome.

Thoughts?

I luv it!

Too bad their names aren't on the backs of the jerseys as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT