ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Shelton

Gorki224

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2021
How many times did I say Drew Shelton is a liability and shouldn't be starting LT?

I saw it last year vs Ole Miss he got beat like a whip. I saw him struggle like crazy other times as well.

Why do they insist on keeping Shelton at LT?

Reactions: W1np1tt
I'm guessing that he is the one the coaches think is better than the next man up.

I'd agree that maybe the back up is worth giving s shot- but clearly James disagrees.

Drew is from my area. He played for a legendary coach. Left IMG to return to Downingtown West amongst a spate of suicides amongst classmates, including a teammate/friend.

The coaches daughter, who does stats, called Drew "the best young man my dad ever coached."

So maybe Drew is a growth stock? The tallest midget? Like Wallace who took a lot of criticism but was our best chance?

I'm thinking that Franklin is hoping that Drew matures faster than Caden. If there was a better option- I believe he would choose it.

He hasn't grown much and appears to play weak, gets beat every week.

I'm guessing that he is the one the coaches think is better than the next man up.

I'd agree that maybe the back up is worth giving s shot- but clearly James disagrees.

Drew is from my area. He played for a legendary coach. Left IMG to return to Downingtown West amongst a spate of suicides amongst classmates, including a teammate/friend.

The coaches daughter, who does stats, called Drew "the best young man my dad ever coached."

So maybe Drew is a growth stock? The tallest midget? Like Wallace who took a lot of criticism but was our best chance?

I'm thinking that Franklin is hoping that Drew matures faster than Caden. If there was a better option- I believe he would choose it.
He already might have because Rucci was in there a lot in the second half

A lot of OL shuffling today.

Rucci first came in at RT, then LT.

Wormley sat quite a bit with Vega and Cousins seeing snaps while Nelson came in at LG.

A lot of OL shuffling today.

Rucci first came in at RT, then LT.

Wormley sat quite a bit with Vega and Cousins seeing snaps while Nelson came in at LG.
I'm not sold on Vega. On Allar's long scramble that resulted in a 20-yard sack, 71 lumbered around in circles, unable to engage a Bowling Green rusher. Young Cousins could emerge.

The first thing that needs to happen is to start Rucci at LT. Deal with the rest later, but right now the number one liability on this team is Shelton.

Reactions: WeR0206 and PSU4U
The first thing that needs to happen is to start Rucci at LT. Deal with the rest later, but right now the number one liability on this team is Shelton.
I suspect they are going to work on a lot of things this week as they will use it somewhat like a fall camp practice.

I'm not sold on Vega. On Allar's long scramble that resulted in a 20-yard sack, 71 lumbered around in circles, unable to engage a Bowling Green rusher. Young Cousins could emerge.
It was so odd to see him lost out there!

Reactions: royboy
Saw couple months ago Rucci was up to 318 which I thought was good for his height. Now he's back down to 308. Don't know if he can't maintain the weight of a staff move.

Saw couple months ago Rucci was up to 318 which I thought was good for his height. Now he's back down to 308. Don't know if he can't maintain the weight of a staff move.
I recall reading somewhere that he was having trouble maintaining weight.

I saw it last year vs Ole Miss he got beat like a whip.

images

Reactions: The Spin Meister
How many times did I say Drew Shelton is a liability and shouldn't be starting LT?

I saw it last year vs Ole Miss he got beat like a whip. I saw him struggle like crazy other times as well.

Why do they insist on keeping Shelton at LT?

How many practices did you attend and watch the backup? Do you know more about the ol than trautwein?

Wasn’t able to see the game. Honest assessment on how Rucci looked at LT please.
Was solid in both run and pass pro. Looked sharp and basically won every down. Drive his man down field a few times also. Looked much better than Drew. One game sample so take it for what it's worth though.

Good thing about Shelton is it has taken the scope off how bad I believe Dawkins has been.

Rucci, Vega, Cousins, Sal, Donkoh

Dawkins was the highest graded guy on the line vs BG.

Dawkins
Wormley
Ioane
Donkoh
Rucci
Nelson
Cousins
Shelton

Each one is going to get beat and have bad plays but I can't get over how Vega was either lost or gave up when he got beat. On at least one play Drew was getting chased in the backfield by several defenders and Vega was just watching them go by.

Dawkins was the highest graded guy on the line vs BG.

Dawkins
Wormley
Ioane
Donkoh
Rucci
Nelson
Cousins
Shelton

Each one is going to get beat and have bad plays but I can't get over how Vega was either lost or gave up when he got beat. On at least one play Drew was getting chased in the backfield by several defenders and Vega was just watching them go by.

Funny how the evaluations are all over the place.

You think Vega was bad yet PFF that you cited had vega 3rd.

Post #21 has Dawkins being horrible but PFF has Dawkins at the top.

Last edited:
Funny how the evaluations are all over the place.

You think Vegas was bad yet PFF that you cited had vega 3rd.

Post #21 has Dawkins being horrible but PFF has Dawkins at the top.
I didn't necessarily think Vega was bad overall, I just can't tolerate lack of effort and it sure looked like he gave up at one point.

OL evals From 247 mb poster gemrich:

"Just a reminder, I watch each snap at least once for each position along the lines. So for OL I'm reviewing each snap at least five times, DL at least four times, and the focus is on an individual player. Let's start with the OL (needs to be said up front that they have not faced a lot of talent, WVU and BGU defensive fronts are not great).

Ioane- Starting here because I have him as the clear top OL through two games. He's the guy who early on appears to have taken a noticeable leap. Movng better, playing with a ton of confidence, winning one on one reps and dominating some number of them. He's turning guys this year to create clearer running lanes. His situational awareness is better in both helping teamates in pass protection and working at the second level in the run game. Basically, better across the board for Ioane so far. If there's a guy who looks like a future pro on this OL right now, it's him.

Wormley- I'm not going to spend a ton of time on Wormley simply because he looks like the same guy he's always been. Solid starting guard, not much more to be said.

Shelton- I think we've kind of seen what was to be expected here. Average play thus far. Moving well, which is good to see. I just think he needs to be consistently better acros the board. I still see the talent, I still see a kid who just doesn't quite have it yet. There's not one specific area where I can say "he just needs to fix that to take the next step in his development". His bad or mediocre snaps come in different situations and are a result of different factors.

Donkoh- I'd say average? Maybe solid? Liked his WVU performance a bit better than BGU. He's not what I would call a natural tackle in how he moves, but lots of right tackles (including Wallace) are that way. He has average tackle feet, not sure that will ever change. Big, strong kid who isn't going to lose to many bull rushes. Good length that appears to be somewhat negated by a more guard like build through his chest, so he can occasionally get caught reaching without making good initial contact. I think he'd be better at guard, but he can absolutely be a very good RT in time. He's not comfortable in space right now, the more he has to move in the run the game the worse he gets. We'll see how both he and Shelton do against some better competition. Sometimes blocking these smaller, quicker dudes from lesser schools can be more difficult on very specific plays (and a lot easier on others).

Dawkins- I love what he's been doing with his combo blocks and then getting to the seceond level. I've seen some pretty bad second level awareness over the years, so it's a lot of fun to watch someone who's good at it. He gets on that combo block fast and gets to that second level fast, and then has great feel for what needs to be done. Really good spacial awareness for Dawk. Some of the best I've seen in a while. He's not so great when he has to take on an opponent head up, no help. And he can get dislodged pretty easily on LB blitzes. Both of these are basic play strength issues, and not something you would expect to improve. Against better teams this could be a bigger issue. Love the good I've seen so far, intelligent player in both the pass and run games, moving well. But he's going to have some moments against stronger interior defenders.

Backups- Rucci has been solid thus far, not much difference between him and the starters. Nelson has also been solid, not a huge drop off when he comes in. Cousins is someone who I wouldn't be shocked to see play more as the season goes on. It's a delicate situation with Wormley being such a veteran, established starter, but I'm not convinced that Cousins couldn't be an improvement there. And that's not because Wormley is bad or isn't a starting quality guard. But Cousins does everything pretty well already, and his best is better than Wormley's already. Would he be able to hold up consistency wise if he played more? I don't know. But Cousins doesn't have any clear weaknesses at guard. I like everything I've seen so far from him."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT