ADVERTISEMENT

DT's on roster

proud2bpsufan

Jan 4, 2013
DT seems to be the biggest concern on defense. People on here seem to think PSU is a bit undersized at the postion overall. What would your confidence level be if these four players added 10 lbs of "good playing weight" this offseason?

Coziah Izzard Jr 6'3" 292 lbs + 10 (302 lbs)
Jordan Vanden Berg R-Soph 6'3" 295 lbs + 10 (305 lbs)
Dvon Ellies R-Ser 6'1" 295 lbs + 10 (305 lbs)
Kaleb Artis R-Fr 6'4" 315 lbs + 10 (325 lbs)

Reactions: GregInPitt
DT seems to be the biggest concern on defense. People on here seem to think PSU is a bit undersized at the postion overall. What would your confidence level be if these four players added 10 lbs of "good playing weight" this offseason?

I'm fairly confident in our returning DTs regardless. PJ was a loss but most of that was absorbed in 2021. He never returned to pre-injury dominance and the other DTs picked it up IMO. I think we have the guys on the roster right now for a strong 2023 defense. We didn't lose that much and where we did (Porter, Brown), we had very high-quality depth ready to step in. Not sure if we are as deep in the secondary this year but the talent is there. LB is just looking more and more dominant IMO with high-quality depth added for 2023. DL might even improve.

Still need a portal dt

I'm fairly confident in our returning DTs regardless. PJ was a loss but most of that was absorbed in 2021. He never returned to pre-injury dominance and the other DTs picked it up IMO. I think we have the guys on the roster right now for a strong 2023 defense. We didn't lose that much and where we did (Porter, Brown), we had very high-quality depth ready to step in. Not sure if we are as deep in the secondary this year but the talent is there. LB is just looking more and more dominant IMO with high-quality depth added for 2023. DL might even improve.

As long as the DT's on the roster can stay healthy and out of the MIA doghouse I agree with you.

Size is great but any player above 285-290 is big enough to excel at 1 tech if they have the strength required. Strength and being accomplished at leverage techniques as well as first step quickness is what makes the best DT's and this is evidenced in the NFL as well.

And as you said the DT's on the roster got their feet wet in 2021 when PJ was out and that helped them perform better in 2022. And they can build on that together with more muscle from this Winter's S&C which should yield futher improved play by Izzard, Ellies and Van den berg at 1 tech.

The most unknown player that could be the biggest surprise seems to be Artis. He was a big DT when he showed up and has the most to gain throughout this Winter's S&C and Sping practices. He may actually lose weight as he tansforms his physique and gains muscle, but is a great candidate to have a playing weight over 300 lbs next Fall. Hope someone in the media is smart enough to ask Franklin about him directly as Spring practice moves along.......

Last edited:
Kevin Givens was undersized but extremely disruptive. I’d take that over 340 pounds of bubble gum any day. Mr. Givens is still collecting an NFL paycheck, so if you have the right combination of technique, power and speed - you can thrive as a DT in the 280-300 range.

Kevin Givens was undersized but extremely disruptive. I’d take that over 340 pounds of bubble gum any day. Mr. Givens is still collecting an NFL paycheck, so if you have the right combination of technique, power and speed - you can thrive as a DT in the 280-300 range.
Who was the other DT along with Givens?

Don't completely write off true freshman, Tyriq Blanding. He may be a long shot to play this year, but he has some of the traits we saw in Zane Durant. I expect big things from him eventually.

I don’t remember. Robert Windsor and Antonio Shelton got playing time I recall.

It was a bunch of 280-300lb guys just like always.

Going back to 2010 there are only a handful of 310lb+ DTs. Daquon Jones, Austin Johnson, Fred Hansard and PJ mustipher. Devin Stills was 250lbs on his 247 recruiting profile.

As long as the DT's on the roster can stay healthy and out of the MIA doghouse I agree with you.

Size is great but any player above 285-290 is big enough to excel at 1 tech if they have the strength required. Strength and being accomplished at leverage techniques as well as first step quickness is what makes the best DT's and this is evidenced in the NFL as well.

And as you said the DT's on the roster got their feet wet in 2021 when PJ was out and that helped them perform better in 2022. And they can build on that together with more muscle from this Winter's S&C which should yield futher improved play by Izzard, Ellies and Van den berg at 1 tech.

The most unknown player that could be the biggest surprise seems to be Artis. He was a big DT when he showed up and has the most to gain throughout this Winter's S&C and Sping practices. He may actually lose weight as he tansforms his physique and gains muscle, but is a great candidate to have a playing weight over 300 lbs next Fall. Hope someone in the media is smart enough to ask Franklin about him directly as Spring practice moves along.......
It would be great to get a solid portal DT for depth and simply bolster the defense. I think we have a very solid defense now but could push to elite status with another good DT.

I think our defense is strong enough now to beat all teams on our schedule except O$U and scUM. Can we beat them also? Sure, but in the case of O$U it sure would be nice to have another stout DT getting penetration and wreaking havoc in their backfield to help us win in Columbus. Same with scUM with their one two punch of running backs that game will be a bear for us. We can win it, as it is at home but again having another DT would help immensely.

I agree that we should keep an eye on Artis. Hopefully he emerges as big time contributor for us.

Find one. It's their job.
It was their job during the first portal session. Meanwhile lost Mulbah. So either our staff sucks, they thought existing players were better, or it's just not easy.

Last edited:
It was their job during the first portal session. Meanwhile lost Mulbah. So either our staff sucks or it's not easy.
Anyone here that has followed Mulbah's "career" at PSU knows that Mulbah leaving was not a loss (from the on field perspective, as he seemed like a great guy and he''ll likely be missed by his friends on the team). He couldn't earn a spot on the 3 deep even in his 3rd year in the program and Franklin very likely told him he wouldn't likely get playing time in 2023 either. Him leaving was best for all parties involved. Hope he gets on the field at WVU and tackles a few of his friends in September when PSU beats WVU by 4 TD's.

It's also common knowledge that transfer 1 technique DT's that could come in and contribute within the DT depth chart already at PSU are very limited in number. Franklin and Scott obviously tried to find one but came up empty. Criticizing their effort in that regard, as some here seem to do, seems pretty pathetic to me. Rather, I give the staff credit for identifying players that actually can come here and make a contribution, and not wasting a scholarship on getting a DT of such and such size that would only take up a scholarship and be another Mulbah, with no disrespect meant for Mr. Mulbah.

If there are DT injuries that deplete the DT depth in 2023 the program seems like it would be better off plugging the true freshman Blanding into some playing time which at least will benefit the team in future years. And from following Mulbah's time at PSU, Blanding might play as well or better as a true freshman.

Last edited:

And as you said the DT's on the roster got their feet wet in 2021 when PJ was out and that helped them perform better in 2022. And the can build on that together with more muscle from this Winter's S&C which should yield futher improved play by Izzard, Ellies and Van den berg at 1 tech.

The most unknown player that could be the biggest surprise seems to be Artis. He was a big DT when he showed up and has the most to gain throughout this Winter's S&C and Srping practices. He may actually lose weight as he tansforms his physique and gains muscle, but is a great candidate to have a playing weight over 300 lbs next Fall. Hope the media are smart enough to ask Franklin about him directly as Spring practice moves along.......
I think we'll be ok depth wise/size at DT but we better bring in at least 2/3 solid DTs next year.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
I think we'll be ok depth wise/size at DT but we better bring in at least 2/3 solid DTs next year.

If they list a reserve OL as DT will it make you happy?

How do you know what position mega barnwell will play? Athletes don't play 0 positions. They can play multiple positions.

Possibly the biggest miss is PSU history. With Wilkins we beat OSU that year and make playoffs. Not often that you can say that about a single player. But he would have put us in playoffs.
Dabo stole a couple of elite DTs from us in the past few years. Wilkins and Bresee come to mind. What a difference those 2 would have made.

Any chance Smith Vilbert could grow in to a DT this off season?
Vilbert's physique looked Ideal for DE this past season. Tall, musclular and fast. I'm surprised he's returning given the talent that seems to be entrenched in front of him on the depth chart, as if he can play anywhere near the level he played in the bowl game in which he had 3 sacks it would seem he could have transferred to a team with a less talented DE group and put up the numbers for an NFL try. He must believe he can get on the field this season and make a name for himself. Vilbert's listed at 6'6" 256 lbs so he could still easily add 10-15 lbs and still be good at DE at near 270 lbs which is Courtney Brown size. And he would then add the muscle and size that Franklin talked about needing when facing teams that push the PSU front 7 around such as Michigan this past season.

But Townley is reportedly in the process of bulking up to play DT. Townley is currently listed at 6'6" 267 so if he can put on 15 or more lbs of muscle and get to the mid 280's he'll start to look like a DT.

If they list a reserve OL as DT will it make you happy?

How do you know what position mega barnwell will play? Athletes don't play 0 positions. They can play multiple positions.
Barnwell is an intriguing player. Haven’t seen a player with his size that can play so many positions at a high level. Staff has committed to him starting at TE. I’ve read a lot of good things about his play at TE. Supposedly has really good hands and good in line blocker. But the thinking is genetically he outgrows the position.

Reactions: Online Persona
Vilbert's physique looked Ideal for DE this past season. Tall, musclular and fast. I'm surprised he's returning given the talent that seems to be entrenched in front of him on the depth chart, as if he can play anywhere near the level he played in the bowl game in which he had 3 sacks it would seem he could have transferred to a team with a less talented DE group and put up the numbers for an NFL try. He must believe he can get on the field this season and make a name for himself. Vilbert's listed at 6'6" 256 lbs so he could still easily add 10-15 lbs and still be good at DE at near 270 lbs which is Courtney Brown size. And he would then add the muscle and size that Franklin talked about needing when facing teams that push the PSU front 7 around such as Michigan this past season.

But Townley is reportedly in the process of bulking up to play DT. Townley is currently listed at 6'6" 267 so if he can put on 15 or more lbs of muscle and get to the mid 280's he'll start to look like a DT.
We rotate our defensive line a lot. Think there’s lots of playing time to be had.

The problem is the recruiting strategy. This staff has some blind spots. They most of their focus on speed. After the Michigan game the staff said the team needed more size. Problem is they recruit for speed. When they do recruit a player with some size they move him up to the next position where he is undersized. CBs to S, S to LB, LB to DE, DE to DT. Most of the safeties moved to LB have been a disappointment.

There are not too many big DTs. I think we need another one on the roster. WE usually have just one. If we cant recuit a big DT then manufacture one! CJ Thorpe was a OG but they played him at DT. Some of the OL we recruit played DT in HS.

A few years ago we were able to move Kevin Givens from DT to DE when it was needed. If we had a second big DT it would give us a little flexibility to get bigger just by moving some players around. WE might only need to do it one game like Michigan but that one game could be the difference between making the playoffs or not.

A player nobody has mentioned is Jameil Lyons. He is bigger coming in than Zane Durant. He will be 6'5 260+lbs when he gets to campus.

https://nittanysportsnow.com/2022/0...roman-catholic-des-ability-fit-at-penn-state/

Last edited:
The problem is the recruiting strategy. This staff has some blind spots. They put all their focus on speed. After the Michigan game the staff said the team needed more size. Problem is they recruit for speed.
The comment on blind spots is pertinent to the discussion. Franklin prefers to recruits athletes first, speed second, football players third. There is nothing wrong with this approach. This is what Saban does. However, the problem arises when you have system coordinators who lack the ability or desire in adapting what they do to fit the talent on hand. We have a good roster. It isn't as good as it has been in the past but still darn good. However, it is an has been limited by our coordinators.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT