ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Dual Thread: Penn State vs. Indiana

HWT: Kerk vs Bullock

Kerk shoots off whistle and gets 4 sec double leg TD. Cuts him, shoots again and gets another quick TD. Then works a tilt and it’s 8-1 after about a minute. OOB with 1:47 to go. Kerk now riding. Flattens him out. Then cuts him. Clearly overmatched opponent. Kerk gets a single leg and quick finish. 10-2 with a minute to go. Again had Bullock flattened out. Got to have a stall call. And there it is. OOB with 9 secs to go. Caution on bottom. Period ends 10-2 with 2:21 RT.

Kerk takes bottom. Up and out in 5 secs. 11-2 now. It’s not as close as the score. Kerk shoots a double and immediately finishes. 13-2 and flattened again. Another stall call and it’s 14-2. Kerk cuts him. 14-3. Kerk double, picks him up and takes him down to his back… reaches for his head… doesn’t get the fall but settles for the TF in 4:59.

that will do it. 29-11 final score.

Last edited:
Nice win. Only disappointing match was Negron. AB dominates another ranked opponent. Dean super steady. Kerk getting bigger and faster. Starocci pissed, and nice starting off the match with a win!

heal up RBY and Nick!

Are Shunk and Meredith the only real options at 133 and 141? Sounds like there is a lack of depth at both those weights. Backups at lower weights going to higher weights rarely bodes well.
I was at first thinking why not Evans at 133 and then it hit me that’s he’s redshirting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8DBLz
I really like the fight that we get out of Edsell pretty much every time he's out there. He reminds me of a guy like Mccutcheon in that he isn't the most talented or physically impressive kid, but he's smart and will scrap with anybody for 7 minutes. Hopefully Brady can get to 157 because I think the need is greatest for him in the lineup there. After Carr and Deakin he can compete with the rest of the top 10 come March.

I really like the fight that we get out of Edsell pretty much every time he's out there. He reminds me of a guy like Mccutcheon in that he isn't the most talented or physically impressive kid, but he's smart and will scrap with anybody for 7 minutes. Hopefully Brady can get to 157 because I think the need is greatest for him in the lineup there. After Carr and Deakin he can compete with the rest of the top 10 come March.
Not quite McCutcheon level. He gets so underrated tbh and while he never put it together at NCAAs, he did make the quarters twice. He beat multiple AA's in his career.

Last edited:
I think berge will be 157 for NCAAs..hes probably on a weight descent plan.

I wrote about it in the PBP… Edsell has one heck of a quick, deep shot from distance. Maybe needs to get quicker finishes. If he can get the quicker finishes…. Look out.

Two thoughts on the match:
1. 165 Edsell is the surprise of the year and IMHO he deserves the spot. Like most have said, hope Brady has been sucking weight and training hard while volunteering coaching. We need him at 157, not 165lbs. That being said, wrestle for the spot - you earn it not deserve it.
2. Do you think the only place Kirk can get good matches is in the Penn State room (Three Olympic champions) used to also have Cenzo at that weight during off season workouts. Looking forward to him taking on Iowa, Michigan and Minnesota!!!! Just those matches are worth my season ticket costs and then some!

If he sat behind the Iowa bench, I'd put money on Desanto going berserk and finally getting tossed from the team.
Nah....if it's cool to go after teammates parents.....enemy parents are more than fair game.

Check the 3" binder.....it's near the back under the subsection about the possibility of not winning a Natty for 4 years

Don't understand why Meredith didn't wrestle 133 unless we had some weight issues.

Probably because Shunk going up from 125 to 141 was too much, so bump each up one weight class instead of forfeiting one.

Had Joey Blumer and David Evans as potential 141 wrestlers.
Tough when it's last minute like today. Weight and redshirting kept some out, and if we take a peek at the roster, not much else could be done.

Really like what I see from all the guys. Relaxed, good energy and effort, solid team chemistry, and more. It's early, but we're already seeing the focus needed to do well post-season. Still a notch or two to go, as B1G's aren't for another 8 weeks.

Eirman won by RT point. Is he trying to keep matches close to build his lungs for OT matches
Just guessing, but I would bet there is some intense cardio building going on with Eirman's training. I would expect it to continue until probably January 26. Then another couple more weeks.

Of course I could be full of crap, and Iowa believes if they do what they did last year they might get a different result.

• Haha
Reactions: Str8DBLz
Beau kind of reminds me of a mini Cenzo. Positionally rock solid, heavy hips, likes to throw guys and cool as a cucumber under pressure. Like him to AA this year, but next year at 141? Look out!

WE ARE!!!

We’re not going to qualify 157 for nats unless berge or someone else steps up. Love to attitude and willingness of Negron but not skilled enough yet

Reactions: backdrft76
Whoever it is they should be embarrassed. At a youth tournament I would throw someone out for being that obnoxious.
Maybe I'm being partial because I'm from Long Island and feel like I know him without actually knowing him, but I was in the crowd today and didn't hear anything that would warrant ejection. He's not yelling anything anyone else in a typical wrestling crowd doesn't also yell, he's just louder than most other fans. Maybe it'd be obnoxious if he was arguing with other fans, but he's just yelling directions.

Maybe I'm being partial because I'm from Long Island and feel like I know him without actually knowing him, but I was in the crowd today and didn't hear anything that would warrant ejection. He's not yelling anything anyone else in a typical wrestling crowd doesn't also yell, he's just louder than most other fans. Maybe it'd be obnoxious if he was arguing with other fans, but he's just yelling directions.
Nobody was louder than Richie rodarmals mom back in the day for Montoursville that lady could be heard outside the gym and I'm not joking

Just guessing, but I would bet there is some intense cardio building going on with Eirman's training. I would expect it to continue until probably January 26. Then another couple more weeks.

Of course I could be full of crap, and Iowa believes if they do what they did last year they might get a different result.
More like practicing his stalling. 2 mins to put his head gear on.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I found him annoying but it hardly merited ejection.

Reactions: csoult
Two thoughts on the match:
1. 165 Edsell is the surprise of the year and IMHO he deserves the spot. Like most have said, hope Brady has been sucking weight and training hard while volunteering coaching. We need him at 157, not 165lbs. That being said, wrestle for the spot - you earn it not deserve it.
2. Do you think the only place Kirk can get good matches is in the Penn State room (Four Olympic champions) used to also have Cenzo at that weight during off season workouts. Looking forward to him taking on Iowa, Michigan and Minnesota!!!! Just those matches are worth my season ticket costs and then some!
FIFY

ADVERTISEMENT