ADVERTISEMENT

Dual (Tri) Thread: Penn State vs. Sacred Heart, Oregon State

Just keep the faith when they look flat/sluggish in a few weeks (probably vs. Lehigh) and some guys appear to struggle. There will be a Mr. Sky Is Falling or two, plus some emotional discontent. But history tells us it is part of the process. A plan of sorts.
The sluggish tired performance will be in January.

In Lee's match against Willits in the third period he was behind him in the rear standing position and tripped him forward. Willits put one hand on the mat prior to rolling through and avoiding the takedown. In the rear standing position isn't it by rule an automatic takedown if any weight is placed on the hand or hands? TIA

I think he will AA but this year the weight is to deep.

What you think about our team this year? 74-Heavy look pretty sick!
We definitely have a pretty decent line-up! If anyone wants to beat us in a dual, they better have a pretty good lead going into the last 4 weights, and that includes a certain team from the corn belt.

We definitely have a pretty decent line-up! If anyone wants to beat us in a dual, they better have a pretty good lead going into the last 4 weights, and that includes a certain team from the corn belt.
It's a decent lineup that hopefully sees some improvement. But I'd still take Iowa any day of the week. If only we had "a new recruit in the works". 😜😂

Ah. I see. So it’s cool to be down on Warner, but not Marinelli. I just didn’t know the rules. My bad.
Lol. Somehow I knew you wouldn’t be able to make a distinction between tearing down a wrestler (what you did) and poking fun at a group of fans (what I did). Research the origins of the Warnerov nickname, maybe it will make sense.

Nice start to season. Hat off to shunk for stepping it out there. RBY 2 nd match was head scratcher. Bartlett to small. Hats off to blumer for stepping out there. Nice matches from edsell.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
Nice start to season. Hat off to shunk for stepping it out there. RBY 2 nd match was head scratcher. Bartlett to small. Hats off to blumer for stepping out there. Nice matches from edsell.
I only listened to it, but Byers said Beau looked stronger and thicker. Also, if he was too small would he be able to ride a guy out for an entire period? I think Beau’s ideal weight is 141. I also think he is gonna be a force to reckon with this year and finish an All-American at 149.

I only listened to it, but Byers said Beau looked stronger and thicker. Also, if he was too small would he be able to ride a guy out for an entire period? I think Beau’s ideal weight is 141. I also think he is gonna be a force to reckon with this year and finish an All-American at 149.
No idea how Beau looked last night compared to last year but he did look small to me. That being said, his size didnt keep him from putting on a killer ride to win that match.

In Lee's match against Willits in the third period he was behind him in the rear standing position and tripped him forward. Willits put one hand on the mat prior to rolling through and avoiding the takedown. In the rear standing position isn't it by rule an automatic takedown if any weight is placed on the hand or hands? TIA
I didn’t think he put his hand down—will have to rewatch. If so, it should have been a no-reaction time TD.

I was there and he looked noticeably bigger than last year. Also noticeably bigger/thicker than Nick Lee this year. I think he's stout enough for 49.

Reactions: NittanyChris
I notice Corby mentioned in the Rokfin chat during the SHU match that Barraclough beat Joe Lee pretty convincingly in their wrestle-off. Any truth to that? Injury related?
This would be VERY concerning. I was hoping Joe Lee would be a podium guy this year at 157. Hopefully Hooiser Lion can confirm if true.

Bottom line..Most of us fans are spoiled with 8 out of 10 and come to expect National Championships (team and individuals). That's a GOOD thing, We're chasing a talented and senior ridden Iowa team and we need to be firing on all cylinders come March to beat them.

Right now we have 3 obvious concerns..125, 157, 165. 149 also a concern. I'm defining a concern as non podium guys.

If our goal was to get a team trophy..I'm not concerned. If the goal is to win the 2022 team championship. until we see what's going to happen with the 4 weights listed above, I'm very concerned. Bottom line, if we end up with 4 weights with no AA, it ain't happening against this Iowa team.

All that being said..I'm excited to watch it play out and watch Cael and staff fix/work on the obvious 4 weights.

I also see a lot of posters, knocking down other posters for being too "hard" on Iowa wrestlers lately. What the hell is going on here? Nothing wrong with saying Marinelli "choked" or Dean going to put in on Warner, or whatever opinion one has..that's what being a fan is..seems the board becoming a little PC. I get it, we don't need the ridiculous takes or hate spewed posts like HR but the rest is fair game IMO

This would be VERY concerning. I was hoping Joe Lee would be a podium guy this year at 157. Hopefully Hooiser Lion can confirm if true.

Bottom line..Most of us fans are spoiled with 8 out of 10 and come to expect National Championships (team and individuals). That's a GOOD thing, We're chasing a talented and senior ridden Iowa team and we need to be firing on all cylinders come March to beat them.

Right now we have 3 obvious concerns..125, 157, 165. 149 also a concern. I'm defining a concern as non podium guys.

If our goal was to get a team trophy..I'm not concerned. If the goal is to win the 2022 team championship. until we see what's going to happen with the 4 weights listed above, I'm very concerned. Bottom line, if we end up with 4 weights with no AA, it ain't happening against this Iowa team.

All that being said..I'm excited to watch it play out and watch Cael and staff fix/work on the obvious 4 weights.

I also see a lot of posters, knocking down other posters for being too "hard" on Iowa wrestlers lately. What the hell is going on here? Nothing wrong with saying Marinelli "choked" or Dean going to put in on Warner, or whatever opinion one has..that's what being a fan is..seems the board becoming a little PC. I get it, we don't need the ridiculous takes or hate spewed posts like HR but the rest is fair game IMO
Hard to know why this should be concerning. It kinda undersells Barraclough
is there a video stream? I don’t see a reference to it on Rokfin

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Thought there were a couple weekends this happened, but you have your finger on the pulse more than I, so I’ll defer.
There might be a match in the early months that some will appear sluggish which is part of building to a January peak. Not sure how they will handle that with the duals b4 Christmas.

The one that sets this board aflame is the week or two in early to mid January where they go full bore for about two weeks, including the Saturday between Friday/Sunday matches and everybody wrestles sluggishly. Wrestle, compete, fight through fatigue and achieve. Whatever it is they do, come March it certainly works.

Reactions: slushhead
No idea how Beau looked last night compared to last year but he did look small to me. That being said, his size didnt keep him from putting on a killer ride to win that match.
I did not think he looked small. I was thinking he looks pretty thick compared to last year. I hope he wins a title this year so I can read on HR how DT roided up BB.

Reactions: NittanyChris
I did not think he looked small. I was thinking he looks pretty thick compared to last year. I hope he wins a title this year so I can read on HR how DT roided up BB.
Another very good early season test for Beau on Thursday vs PJ Ogunsanya from Army, an experienced Senior currently ranked 19 by Intermat. He also just won a 14-5 MD in his first round match at Journeyman this morning. Should be interesting.

Because I’ve seen nothing to suggest Barraclough is an AA threat have you? I have seen Joe Lee (his Redshirt year) steamroll AA caliber kids
His matches last year, were decent displays of talent and knowledge, and close in losses. I’ve seen that kind of wrestler improve dramatically in the past. I would submit if in fact he was beating Joe Lee it would be indicative of learning and improving rather than Joe regressing. And that would be a good thing.

His matches last year, were decent displays of talent and knowledge, and close in losses. I’ve seen that kind of wrestler improve dramatically in the past. I would submit if in fact he was beating Joe Lee it would be indicative of learning and improving rather than Joe regressing. And that would be a good thing.
Joe Lee whipped up on NCAA finalist Jake Wentzel just 2 yrs ago. Last year Joe was clearly injured.

From all accounts this year he's been looking great at 157. So yes, I would agree with you if Terrell improved that much..I would be surprised which was my whole premise.

Thankfully Hoosier Line dispelled the myth a few posts ago

Reactions: Cowbell Man
You have to consider Bearclaw is a horrible matchup for Joe. Can see him riding him for days if Joe didn't improve on bottom. Joe might not be a good guy in a wrestleoff against a teammate who knows his tendencies extremely well.

Reactions: Bondist
ADVERTISEMENT