ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie George on Penn State

Nice to know JVP was honest with him. He probably could have played at a TE or DE spot as well. Coaches had much more control over the athletes than they do now. I'm sure there were many coaches telling him what he wanted to hear to get his LOI.

I liked Eddie. I liked Ki-Jana better.
Two great CF running backs. George, however, went on to a stellar NFL career with the Titans. Don't remember Ki-Jana past PSU, but wasn't he injured which hampered his NFL career? Could be wrong and have him mixed up with someone else

Reactions: RussianEagle
Wasn't Curtis Enis playing some LB for PSU in his freshman year until they finally switched him full time to RB?

Reactions: ikS
Yeah it was just bad timing. The year before George, PSU had an absolutely insane running back class -- depending on who's counting, 5 or 6 all-American running backs. Pitts, the no. 1 tb in the NE, Archie, the No. 1 in Pa, Carter -- the top prospect in the midwest, and JT Morris, the top running back in ACC country. Plus AAs Brian King and Cliff Dingle who went to the secondary.

If it were today, a coach in Paterno's shoes would have recruited George and said, yes, absolutely, you get to compete right away at running back. And then based on spring practice, some running backs would get moved to other positions or transfer out.

But in those days Paterno had loyalty to the players on his roster, and he felt ethically it was right thing to say there was no room for George. So he went to Ohio State and the rest is history.

Thought he broke his arm first. Came back then blew a knee.🤷🏿‍♂️
Or was it the other way around 🤷

Edit: Wiki says knee tear first exhibition game. Followed by several injuries.
Hey Meister, how ya do'n....
Appears Ki-Jana made a few bucks in the NFL irregardless of his injuries.
Attached is a chart of his salary.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Hey Meister, how ya do'n....
Appears Ki-Jana made a few bucks in the NFL irregardless of his injuries.
Attached is a chart of his salary.

Going well….. figured you were busy designing a new bridge for Baltimore!😉

Yes, I am sure he made some good money as a top draft pick. But still sad he had so many injuries.

Reactions: step.eng69
Going well….. figured you were busy designing a new bridge for Baltimore!😉

Yes, I am sure he made some good money as a top draft pick. But still sad he had so many injuries.
That's good.................emphatically NO, NO, NO

Ki-Jana has always been a favorite of mine, he also shows up at a few games every yr

interesting stat lines. At the time, Joe was loath to play a real freshman so George had four good years whereas KiJana had 2.5. Stats:

• George: 683 rushing attempts for 3.768 yds for a 5.5 per carry average and 44 TDs. Plus 47 receptions for 534 yards and 1 TD.
  • Carter: 395 rushing attempts for 2,829 yds for a 7.2 YPC average and 34 TDs. Plus 70 receptions for 172 yards. Carter also returned kickoffs with a 20.7 yard average.

interesting stat lines. At the time, Joe was loath to play a real freshman so George had four good years whereas KiJana had 2.5. Stats:

• George: 683 rushing attempts for 3.768 yds for a 5.5 per carry average and 44 TDs. Plus 47 receptions for 534 yards and 1 TD.
  • Carter: 395 rushing attempts for 2,829 yds for a 7.2 YPC average and 34 TDs. Plus 70 receptions for 172 yards. Carter also returned kickoffs with a 20.7 yard average.
Not sure what is meant by four good years as George got late mop up duty behind Robert Smith in 1992 and Raymont Harris in 1993. He had really only 2 solid years. He later went on to have a great NFL career and remains one of my favorite all-time CF players mainly because he's a class act

Not sure what is meant by four good years as George got late mop up duty behind Robert Smith in 1992 and Raymont Harris in 1993. He had really only 2 solid years. He later went on to have a great NFL career and remains one of my favorite all-time CF players mainly because he's a class act
He had 37 and 42 carries across his fr and soph years for about 400 yards. KJ had zero and 42 264 total.

He had 37 and 42 carries across his fr and soph years for about 400 yards. KJ had zero and 42 264 total.
Yes, I understand that but that doesn't equate to 4 good years for George and 2.5 for Carter.....that's misleading. They both had to wait their turns (until their junior years). BTW, I've been a Titans fan for years now - and IMO - George was the greatest RB in Titans history.

And I'm not slamming Carter as both George and Carter were - and are - class acts

Yes, I understand that but that doesn't equate to 4 good years for George and 2.5 for Carter.....that's misleading. They both had to wait their turns (until their junior years). BTW, I've been a Titans fan for years now - and IMO - George was the greatest RB in Titans history.

And I'm not slamming Carter as both George and Carter were - and are - class acts
nope.

George had 37 carries as a FR. KiJana had zero
George had 42 carries as a soph and KiJana had the same.

If you look at the stats, George had substantially more playing time than KiJana did as both a Fr and Soph.

My point was to compare the two players college careers. George had a head start and went into his Jr year as a starter with a lot more game experience.

Wasn't Curtis Enis playing some LB for PSU in his freshman year until they finally switched him full time to RB?
Ohio State totally screwed up the recruiting of Enis. He showed up for a visit and was essentially ignored and I believe Cooper didn't know his name.

Ohio State totally screwed up the recruiting of Enis. He showed up for a visit and was essentially ignored and I believe Cooper didn't know his name.
I have a few OSU friends and they'll tell you that Cooper screwed up a lot of things

I have a few OSU friends and they'll tell you that Cooper screwed up a lot of things
That's true. Notwithstanding all that somehow he recruited some very outstanding classes and had an extremely talented team in 1998 that should have won a national championship. In his defense, he recruited way better than his predecessor Earle Bruce. He commented when he first came that he had teams at Tulsa that were his talented as the first one he had at Ohio State.

That's true. Notwithstanding all that somehow he recruited some very outstanding classes and had an extremely talented team in 1998 that should have won a national championship. In his defense, he recruited way better than his predecessor Earle Bruce. He commented when he first came that he had teams at Tulsa that were his talented as the first one he had at Ohio State.
Again, going back to my OSU buddies, almost everyone of them will tell you that the 1998 team was the biggest disappointment and consider it to probably the most talented team in their lifetime .....most are in their 60s and 70s (they somehow lost to MSU). They might have had more talented than the OSU NC teams that followed. I believe that might have been the year that did Cooper in

Two great CF running backs. George, however, went on to a stellar NFL career with the Titans. Don't remember Ki-Jana past PSU, but wasn't he injured which hampered his NFL career? Could be wrong and have him mixed up with someone else
That is correct. Ki-Jana was drafted by the Bengals with the first pick of the 1995 draft. Tore his ACL in the preseason & missed his entire rookie year. Was never the same when he returned. Never seemed like he could break any tackles in the pros.

Yeah it was just bad timing. The year before George, PSU had an absolutely insane running back class -- depending on who's counting, 5 or 6 all-American running backs. Pitts, the no. 1 tb in the NE, Archie, the No. 1 in Pa, Carter -- the top prospect in the midwest, and JT Morris, the top running back in ACC country. Plus AAs Brian King and Cliff Dingle who went to the secondary.

If it were today, a coach in Paterno's shoes would have recruited George and said, yes, absolutely, you get to compete right away at running back. And then based on spring practice, some running backs would get moved to other positions or transfer out.

But in those days Paterno had loyalty to the players on his roster, and he felt ethically it was right thing to say there was no room for George. So he went to Ohio State and the rest is history.
And that's one of the reasons why I loved JoePa so much.

Nice to know JVP was honest with him. He probably could have played at a TE or DE spot as well. Coaches had much more control over the athletes than they do now. I'm sure there were many coaches telling him what he wanted to hear to get his LOI.

It worked out well for both parties. PSU was loaded at RB, it would have been an extremely crowded backfield with either Ki Jana or George not getting the spotlight.

It worked out well for both parties. PSU was loaded at RB, it would have been an extremely crowded backfield with either Ki Jana or George not getting the spotlight.
I understand that PSU was deep at RB but go back and take a look at OSU's RBs going back to the 60s through the Cooper years. They were always 3 and 4 deep with ex HS stars. Newsflash - they were also stacked every year and basically OSU and USC were known as running back U. Back then, I remember PSU as LB U.

Last edited:

Correct. He definitely played some LB in the Texas Tech game in 1995. I believe his coming out game at RB was against Purdue that year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT