ADVERTISEMENT

Edinboro Open

Talked to a former member of the team who only told me "Don't be alarmed about Van Ness (I was a bit worried he hasn't competed this year yet), when Cael has a guy idle for a year, it's not always necessarily injury but it's always for a very good reason (Zain/Nico)"

Sounds like Penn State will be sending a few here. Don’t have a full list of contingents but I can tell you that Levi Haines will be entering at 57.
PSU fans when we can't use Haines as our 157 yet

crying-sad.gif

SVN is brace free these days, so maybe we will?

Better yet evidence SVN is big enough for 149. I have a slight concern that he and Beau are the same weight. A year to gain is a long time and maybe he is already there. I believe he went 149 at the Clarion open, but I never got a chance to see how big he looked.

Better yet evidence SVN is big enough for 149. I have a slight concern that he and Beau are the same weight. A year to gain is a long time and maybe he is already there. I believe he went 149 at the Clarion open, but I never got a chance to see how big he looked.
He did not look small.

Reactions: vhsalum and hlstone
My bigger questions is as thick as Beau looks will 141 be an easy drop for him now?

I think he can/will make the drop. Last we asked he was walking around at 150, that’s a 6 percent body weight cut which isn’t fun but isn’t awful, and he can also adjust his diet. Says he’s eating to bulk at the moment.
Plus he's not doing it in 4 weeks, which the descent rules would require. Coaches/nutritionist/S&C will work with him to do it right. Dropping a weight isn't fun, you're right, but this will be done starting in the Summer I'd guess, with regular workouts etc. taking place between the season's end and then too.

Better from a wrestling endurance standpoint to get there early and get used to the weight.

Plus he's not doing it in 4 weeks, which the descent rules would require. Coaches/nutritionist/S&C will work with him to do it right. Dropping a weight isn't fun, you're right, but this will be done starting in the Summer I'd guess, with regular workouts etc. taking place between the season's end and then too.

Better from a wrestling endurance standpoint to get there early and get used to the weight.
You and Clay type it so well. Short answer .....no problemo

Beau was eating all summer. Mom was “feeding him steak”!

If he is bigger now it is only because of Nick Lee. It isn’t a growth spurt or other factors that would restrict him from 141

Reactions: jschrantz
Beau was eating all summer. Mom was “feeding him steak”!

If he is bigger now it is only because of Nick Lee. It isn’t a growth spurt or other factors that would restrict him from 141
Yea. This is correct and Beau also got the ok to drink beer in season to stay at the weight as well

Why post this? It’s ok to support the guys we have there now . . . or, if you don’t support them, it’s ok to say nothing.
Slush, I’ll very respectfully disagree.

I thought @McScoreley post was in good fun, I got a good chuckle from it. I didn’t detect any lack of support for our current crop of 157s, we’re just chomping at the bit to see Levi in action. Nothing wrong with that, imo.

Some may disagree with my take, and that’s ok.

Yea. This is correct and Beau also got the ok to drink beer in season to stay at the weight as well
Reminds me of the Bloomsburg teams in early 1980's. I knew some of the guys. After Saturday night match a lot them would go to DOK and drink like fishes. I believe their choice of IC Light was their attempt at proper diet and hydration.
Come Monday they would be sitting in sauna with garbage bags on. Some mid weight guys would have to drop 12- 15 pounds before next match.
A few years later I knew a few guys up there and they said Rickey Bonomo was unbelievable at cutting weight. He won his titles at 118 and they said he would drop 20 pounds in less than a week if he had to.
It doesn't work that way anymore.

Reactions: danoftw
Reminds me of the Bloomsburg teams in early 1980's. I knew some of the guys. After Saturday night match a lot them would go to DOK and drink like fishes. I believe their choice of IC Light was their attempt at proper diet and hydration.
Come Monday they would be sitting in sauna with garbage bags on. Some mid weight guys would have to drop 12- 15 pounds before next match.
A few years later I knew a few guys up there and they said Rickey Bonomo was unbelievable at cutting weight. He won his titles at 118 and they said he would drop 20 pounds in less than a week if he had to.
It doesn't work that way anymore.
@Chris Watts your dad told similar stories about Bloomsburg wrestlers drinking beer to cut weight.

For everyone else's benefit: Randy Watts is in the Bloomsburg Hall of Fame.

@Chris Watts your dad told similar stories about Bloomsburg wrestlers drinking beer to cut weight.

My connection to the Bloomsburg team back then was a District 11 champion from Nazareth, Keith Fairman. If I went back to school my sophomore year he was going to be my roommate. I still made a lot of friends and had 3 Frat proposals from my Freshman year so I would make weekend trips on occasion. My Freshman year was the most fun I ever had in a year. Hence only one year.😒

It was always scheduled for Sunday the 6th. Corby must have gotten into Willie's stash of Bud heavies.
It was supposed to happen today but was changed due the that incoming weather the last few days in Erie.

I will have to ask. I don't think I've heard the stories of guys incorporating alcohol in their weight cutting. Though my dad wouldn't have been one of them, I'm sure he knew if it was happening. And as you all know, weight cutting was definitely way more extreme back then so I wouldn't be surprised at all. I have heard stories of binge eating and then purging. So perhaps he was just omitting the alcohol part when talking to us kids.

ADVERTISEMENT