ADVERTISEMENT

Edinboro Open

Wow! Haines beats Gallagher 8-3!

0-0 after one. Haines with a quick escape at start of second period. Gallagher VERY close to a TD at end of the second, but nothing awarded. Gallagher quick escape to start 3rd made it 1-1. Gallagher with a TD a minute later to lead 3-2. Haines immediately escapes and shoots, shows AJF deadlifting strength pulling leg in from distance as he stands up, gets the go-ahead TD and then gets a turn for the final 10 secs.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Gallagher looks really, really big but didn't appear to have any tank issues. But I can't see him at 65 long term. Feels like 65/74 for he and Kharchla at some point

I think he's definitely starting. There's a reason he didn't wrestle his last year of high school. He just beat a game Paddy and looked exactly like what we are used to. Attacked when he needed to and fought hard.
Feel free to "think" what you want. May happen, but definitely isn't even remotely on the coach's radar .

Last edited:
Reactions: BruceK-PSU83
haines is pretty good. best comparison would be nick lee coming out. nothing flashy. could use some polish on his attacks, but has a lot of "want to" and wrestles hard through every position. was surprised at how much he bullied paddy there (though i'm not as high on paddy as others; old for his grade and physically matured early, don't find his skills to be overly dynamic).

i think haines is going to be really good. i can't decide how good, how quickly yet. i think he might need a couple years before he's truly elite, like nick lee, where his skills need to catch up to the intangibles that make him a pain to wrestle. that high crotch aint scoring on a 157 aa this year imo. that was a pace takedown. wasn't pretty, but he earned it in the previous 6:30. but he could probably step in and place next year. i like his trajectory too. clearly getting better and better.

haines is pretty good. best comparison would be nick lee coming out. nothing flashy. could use some polish on his attacks, but has a lot of "want to" and wrestles hard through every position. was surprised at how much he bullied paddy there (though i'm not as high on paddy as others; old for his grade and physically matured early, don't find his skills to be overly dynamic).

i think haines is going to be really good. i can't decide how good, how quickly yet. i think he might need a couple years before he's truly elite, like nick lee, where his skills need to catch up to the intangibles that make him a pain to wrestle. that high crotch aint scoring on a 157 aa this year imo. that was a pace takedown. wasn't pretty, but he earned it in the previous 6:30. but he could probably step in and place next year. i like his trajectory too. clearly getting better and better.
Young for his grade, too. Was 16 this past summer.

Levi looks to my eye like Carter did at the Edinboro Open 2 years ago......
giphy.gif

Kanen Stor (Michigan) with another head scratcher losing to paniro of Iowa State and Erie Cathedral (unattached) in the consis

Name of the school is Cathedral Preparatory School (aka, "Cathedral Prep") - it is located in Erie.

Young for his grade, too. Was 16 this past summer.
a lot to feel good about.
Levi looks to my eye like Carter did at the Edinboro Open 2 years ago......
giphy.gif
i actually came back to add starocci to my comparison. more than any move in that match, i was impressed with his poise. he just kept coming forward and never looked nervous or afraid to lose. that was also what was most impressive about starocci last year. his poise and match management were way beyond his years, and frankly his skill. now we're seeing him continue to add to that repertoire and get to legs more consistently.

Levi wrestling in finals now against Jared Hill of Oklahoma
Levi TD 2-0 after 1st 1:17 RT
2nd: 2-1 (1:30 RT for Levi) after 2
3rd: esc 3-1 Levi still with over 1 min RT Levi TD 5-1 now 6-2
Final 7-2 over 2:30 of RT

Negron against Austin Kraisser of Iowa State now. Tony up 2-1 after 1st.
Tony esc 3-1, TD 5-1, esc 5-2 End of 2nd Tony has :33 RT
3rd: Tony on top. 5-3 Tony up with 1:15 rt, now 5-4
Tony wins 10-6 4 TD and 1 esc + RT to 4 esc and 2 stalling points for Kraisser

Last edited:
Levi up 2-0 with a go behind counter.

Working him flat on top.

1:17 of RT after 1.

2-1 after a Hill escape.

3-1 Levi Escape in the third.

5-1 Levi after a pry the hands on a Hill shot.

6-1 stalling point.

6-2 on a levi stall (?)

7-2 Final.

Comfy match for Levi.

Last edited:
*Hill. He was fine, got on the leg twice, which led to two Levi scores.
Haines defended deep shots without attacking his opponents ankles. He did fine with it today, but that’s one thing I bet will change in the Penn State room.

Negron up 5-2 in the second period of the 165 lb championship match.

Reactions: 07mantle
I don't remember him telling the story as if he participated, more like it was an open secret that it happened.

He may have exaggerated a little for effect, but regardless he told it as a jokey cautionary tale, not openly saying this but pretty obviously implying: hey, guys did a bunch of dumb stuff back in my day, don't be those guys. We all thought it was pretty funny. Which probably means he got his point across.
I don't remember him telling the story as if he participated, more like it was an open secret that it happened.

He may have exaggerated a little for effect, but regardless he told it as a jokey cautionary tale, not openly saying this but pretty obviously implying: hey, guys did a bunch of dumb stuff back in my day, don't be those guys. We all thought it was pretty funny. Which probably means he got his point across.
Not the whole team but for certain 118 pounder Mike Nock ,HWT -190 ButchSnyder? and 167-177 Dom Deegnereo? Would certainly rehydrate after a Saturday match at Bloomsburg.

ADVERTISEMENT