ADVERTISEMENT

Edinboro Open

Many will remember the pin "count", but with number of bouts per wrestler going down, a better metric for falls is to look at the percentage. From the PSWC website;
#NameSeasonsCareer FallsCareer Matches%
1​
1936-1938​
19​
31​
61.3%​
2​
2016-2019​
60​
119​
50.4%​
3​
2016-2019​
59​
122​
48.4%​
4​
1925-1926​
9​
20​
45.0%​
5​
1941-1943​
17​
39​
43.6%​
6​
1993-1994​
28​
65​
43.1%​
7​
2014-2018​
53​
126​
42.1%​
8​
1942-1946​
15​
37​
40.5%​
9​
1959-1961​
20​
50​
40.0%​
9​
2011-2014​
32​
80​
40.0%​
9​
1948-1950​
8​
20​
40.0%​
12​
1954-1956​
19​
48​
39.6%​
13​
1952-1954​
16​
41​
39.0%​
14​
2011-2014​
53​
137​
38.7%​
Ah, good to see Ol’ S.S. Rumbaugh is still in the top 5. Guy was an animal. Bo Nickal would’ve looked like a JV compared to him

The low pin rate for Taylor is because in his first year he was going for tech falls. He needed the extra mat time.

Wow. Thanks for sharing. The fact that over half his matches ended in pins is simply astounding. And Nickal just a hair behind. I’ll say it again, we are spoiled!
And I remember thinking when nolf was a freshman what is everybody all fired up about. I didn't see it then but his second year he completely changed into a monster. My favorite all time wrestler for sure. Love the new trend with the ankle bracelets lol. Little kids all over the country doing that

And I remember thinking when nolf was a freshman what is everybody all fired up about. I didn't see it then but his second year he completely changed into a monster. My favorite all time wrestler for sure. Love the new trend with the ankle bracelets lol. Little kids all over the country doing that
I also originally thought Nolf was not that exciting. But he transformed himself into a takedown machine. It was at Disney Duals, I think. He just kept coming, putting on constant pressure. I thought: well alright. This guy may have it.

That list of Penn State pinners posted earlier included Sam Harry, who was Pennsylvania's first state champ, I believe: 85 pound champ in '37 or 38 for Clearfield. He didn't wrestle 85 in college.

When rating pinners, straight numbers don't tell the story. Zane was a workman, Nolf was an artist and Nichol was a showman. Their pins were so much f*n to watch, and so different from each other's. Zane thrashed people until they welcomed a pin. Nolf caught people in motion. Bo's most memorable pins seemed to be on the biggest stage at the most important times.

Last edited:
I also originally thought Nolf was not that exciting. But he transformed himself into a takedown machine. It was at Disney Duals, I think. He just kept coming, putting on constant pressure. I thought: well alright. This guy may have it.

That list of Penn State pinners posted earlier included Sam Harry, who was Pennsylvania's first state champ, I believe: 85 pound champ in '37 or 38 for Clearfield. He didn't wrestle 85 in college.
That was the public face of it. Jason was more of a positional wrestler his HS FR/SO years, but lost to Diehl in his SO state semis. He decided that he needed to become a scorer, completely transformed his style in short order, and wrecked DIehl about 3-4 months later.

Jason also transformed himself in 6 weeks after the Rutgers injury into One-Legged Jason Nolf.

Just amazing. So few guys can change their style over the course of several years, and yet he twice did it in a matter of weeks.

That was the public face of it. Jason was more of a positional wrestler his HS FR/SO years, but lost to Diehl in his SO state semis. He decided that he needed to become a scorer, completely transformed his style in short order, and wrecked DIehl about 3-4 months later.

Jason also transformed himself in 6 weeks after the Rutgers injury into One-Legged Jason Nolf.

Just amazing. So few guys can change their style over the course of several years, and yet he twice did it in a matter of weeks.
I'm sure you're right about the timing. When I watched the transformed pre-PSU Nolf I was amazed. Before he was really good. But now he was manic. Shooting constantly, high, low, right, left. Who could defend against that? That's when I knew Jason was a special one. And what he did at Nationals on one leg was extraordinary.

Reactions: Petch
Speaking of the open: anyone have pics of Haines and Negron with the sword?

Where is Levi P4P in 2022 class?
I can’t see how he isn’t #1. I’m sure there are arguments for some of his losses and others credentials, but name another high schooler working guys at their caliber. He’s the most excited recruit I can remember for Penn State based on his early high school results, style and our need.

He funded Ohio State's wrestling complex.
Once I started realizing this connection years ago, I stopped going to Panera. There is like a random one in WV that wasn’t owned by them and on our way to vacation my wife would say why can we have eat at this one and not the one at home? I couldn’t tell her it was wrestling related or she would be bringing bread bowls home every week.

When rating pinners, straight numbers don't tell the story. Zane was a workman, Nolf was an artist and Nichol was a showman. Their pins were so much f*n to watch, and so different from each other's. Zane thrashed people until they welcomed a pin. Nolf caught people in motion. Bo's most memorable pins seemed to be on the biggest stage at the most important times.
Jason mentally broke so many other high quality wrestlers. Zain physically broke everyone. I think some of his matches go against the "Cruel and Unusual Punishment" clauses. Bo hit the biggest moves in the brightest of lights. All 3 were all world in different ways. And I'm happy that the torch has been passed along to Aaron, Nick, Roman, etc. They're just as much a joy to watch work as the previous 3. And I look forward to the next group and hope they're the best we have ever seen.

Caels greatest accomplishment may be to let his guys just be themselves and develop their own style at a high level. With a little world class instruction of course.

Anything to Negron being unattached in this open or that a mistake?
I noted that gopsusports reported on his championship. I also noted that he wasn’t in a Penn State uniform.

Speaking of when we knew they were great…

- Matt Brown losing to Ruth 6-3 at the Scuffle while serving as a back up

- Bo losing to Matt Brown by only 10-7 while on redshirt

Reactions: diggerpup
I noted that gopsusports reported on his championship. I also noted that he wasn’t in a Penn State uniform.

Negron is still raw for sure but he has a lot of potential. I hope he lands somewhere where his development continues. I was even hoping he would give it a quick go at 165 vs Edsel.

This year was his window as a lion. I could see why he is frustrated as just when he was looking like he might get over the hump we jumped back to the Claw. That said he had more than a fair shot to prove himself and create some distance. It didn't happen. If Berge is going down, that pretty much styles it.

Next year of course even under the best circumstances he's a backup to Haines or Facundo.

If he leaves the program I wish him the best, and if he comes back, better yet a quality backup who might surprise. He's a good kid, and I like the excitement he provided this year

I could see why he is frustrated as just when he was looking like he might get over the hump we jumped back to the Claw.
Could be a chicken or egg situation. Was Negron not in a PSU singlet because we went back to Barraclough, or did we go back to Barraclough because Tony wasn't in a PSU singlet anymore?

Could be a chicken or egg situation. Was Negron not in a PSU singlet because we went back to Barraclough, or did we go back to Barraclough because Tony wasn't in a PSU singlet anymore?
I have no idea if there is anything to read into about apparently wrestling unattached.

I have no idea if there is anything to read into about apparently wrestling unattached.
What kind of message board do you think this is, that we couldn't blow up a likely non-issue for no apparent reason?

Seriously, a simpler explanation could be that originally everybody registered unattached to avoid any possible issues with the competition date limit. Then some guys dropped out, and the guys who remained didn't bother changing to attached.

What kind of message board do you think this is, that we couldn't blow up a likely non-issue for no apparent reason?

Seriously, a simpler explanation could be that originally everybody registered unattached to avoid any possible issues with the competition date limit. Then some guys dropped out, and the guys who remained didn't bother changing to attached.
Or he forgot to pack his singlet.

Bo was certainly pretty good at pinning guys. It just seemed Nolf was more inventive.

I am too young to have ever watched Schalles. I know he was an all time great by reading discussions on here. I'll have to see if I can dig up some stuff on YouTube.
Nickel, Nolf, and Schalles were all great pinners, but let's not forget S.S. Rumbaugh. Dude was a hammer.

Nickel, Nolf, and Schalles were all great pinners, but let's not forget S.S. Rumbaugh. Dude was a hammer.
Never heard of S.S. until I read through that chart. Hell, he wrestled before my grandfather was born. I didn't think wrestling was invented back then.🙂

It amazes me when people downplay this. I remember people gushing about ND football recruit Jimmy Clausen - best prospect since Elway. Well, it’s easy to look good when you’re almost 20 throwing against 15 year old DBs.

Don’t tell me their grade nowadays. How old are they is more important. Typical Flo headline - “8th grader destroying the competition!” (fine print - 8th grader is almost 16).

Yeah. Jimmy Clausen was old enough to drive his own white hummer limousine on to the field at Notre Dame back in 2006.😄

I can’t see how he isn’t #1. I’m sure there are arguments for some of his losses and others credentials, but name another high schooler working guys at their caliber. He’s the most excited recruit I can remember for Penn State based on his early high school results, style and our need.
nick feldman.

I remember some matches watching him think his way through a match it was something to see. Hard to explain but you could just tell he was setting the kid up. Taylor was the same way. They both just had the best minds for wrestling. I guess you could lump Nickel in there as well although he was setting people up for the boom

Reactions: hlstone
I remember some matches watching him think his way through a match it was something to see. Hard to explain but you could just tell he was setting the kid up. Taylor was the same way. They both just had the best minds for wrestling. I guess you could lump Nickel in there as well although he was setting people up for the boom
Starting to occasionally see that with RBY. Hope to see more next year.

ADVERTISEMENT