ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN College Sports Radio talking heads saying...

JWB389

May 16, 2017
...if LSU wins out, they'll be the first 2 loss team in the playoffs becuase their losses were early and they've improved.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
you've still got several undefeated teams (tOSU, UM, TCU and Georgia). Either tOSU or UM will have one loss since they play each other. You then have several higher-ranked one-loss teams: Tennessee, Oregon USC/UCLA.

I don't have a problem with LSU going as long as they are the best of two loss teams and other aren't four undefeated or one-loss teams. But of those above, I can't see LSU rising above them if they finish with 0 or one loss.

you've still got several undefeated teams (tOSU, UM, TCU and Georgia). Either tOSU or UM will have one loss since they play each other. You then have several higher-ranked one-loss teams: Tennessee, Oregon USC/UCLA.

I don't have a problem with LSU going as long as they are the best of two loss teams and other aren't four undefeated or one-loss teams. But of those above, I can't see LSU rising above them if they finish with 0 or one loss.
I wouldn't be shocked if LSU loses to Arkansas this weekend.

Reactions: indynittany
Do people still really watch those shows?
Radio shows?
confused-no.gif

...if LSU wins out, they'll be the first 2 loss team in the playoffs becuase their losses were early and they've improved.
Winning out would mean beating Georgia in the SEC Championship game. LSU isn't going to win out.

Early losses are certainly better than late losses, but it's hard to get in as a 2-loss team.

I think Oregon, if they win out and take the PAC 12 CCG, gets in ahead of LSU. Oregon's one loss (49-3 to Georgia to open the season) is admittedly ugly, but it's only one loss and Georgia seems to be in a class by itself this season.

I think a one loss Michigan or tOSU gets in ahead of LSU as well, so long as that one loss is not a blowout.

Reactions: jimarnp
If you look at the score and stats from LSU vs Auburn, you have to scratch your head at LSU being a top 4 team. Feel like college football too to bottom having a down year. No real dominance is coming through. Alabama looks utterly human. Big 12 and ACC have no one. Lots of potential in the Pac12, but I feel like they’re all question marks. If LSU runs the table and beats Georgia in the CCG, I have no problem with them going to the playoff as a Conf Champ. Anything less is just lip service. The national title is Georgia’s to lose IMO.

And Dinnich is such a waste. She’s just an Ohio State shill. Literally brings nothing else to the table.

If you look at the score and stats from LSU vs Auburn, you have to scratch your head at LSU being a top 4 team. Feel like college football too to bottom having a down year. No real dominance is coming through. Alabama looks utterly human. Big 12 and ACC have no one. Lots of potential in the Pac12, but I feel like they’re all question marks. If LSU runs the table and beats Georgia in the CCG, I have no problem with them going to the playoff as a Conf Champ. Anything less is just lip service. The national title is Georgia’s to lose IMO.

And Dinnich is such a waste. She’s just an Ohio State shill. Literally brings nothing else to the table.
An Indiana grad reporting on college football is like a PSU grad reporting on basketball and pretending to be some kind of expert. Not too many people who know a lot about college football are coming out of Indiana that aren’t players.

A 2 loss SEC champ LSU could very well get in ahead of a 1 loss Pac 12 champ Oregon because LSU would have beaten #1 UGA and Oregon got boat raced by UGA.

A 2 loss SEC champ LSU could very well get in ahead of a 1 loss Pac 12 champ Oregon because LSU would have beaten #1 UGA and Oregon got boat raced by UGA.

So what, LSU got beat by FSU for Pete's Sake! Does that mean FSU should be in over LSU??? By the way, what if the 1-loss Pac12 Champion is USC???

So what, LSU got beat by FSU for Pete's Sake! Does that mean FSU should be in over LSU??? By the way, what if the 1-loss Pac12 Champion is USC???
That FSU loss won't matter much, watch. Plus it was kind of flukey. IF the Tigers win the SEC cg over UGA they have a strong case. However, to your question about U$C, they get in ahead of LSU if they are Pac 12 champs and have just one loss.

That FSU loss won't matter much, watch. Plus it was kind of flukey. IF the Tigers win the SEC cg over UGA they have a strong case. However, to your question about U$C, they get in ahead of LSU if they are Pac 12 champs and have just one loss.
The flukey part of that FSU/LSU game was that LSU even had a chance.

Reactions: gptakba and psuno1
I remember when they said the same thing about PSU in 2016 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Always remember that ESPNs bread is buttered by the SEC and now that ESPN is out of the next B1G media contract, the "analysis" will get much worse.
Also, pls remember that ESPN took down PSU in 2011 bc it was a slow news day and then refused to do any actual reporting. They don't deserve your eyeballs.

LSU having wins over Georgia and Bama (if Bama goes 10-2) would probably get them in at 11-2. Whether we agree with it or not that's tough to dispute. Clemson and TCU wouldn't even have a comparable record at 12-1/13-0. Winning the SECCG does carry by far the most weight (fair or not)

Reactions: dailybuck777
LSU having wins over Georgia and Bama (if Bama goes 10-2) would probably get them in at 11-2. Whether we agree with it or not that's tough to dispute. Clemson and TCU wouldn't even have a comparable record at 12-1/13-0. Winning the SECCG does carry by far the most weight (fair or not)
I think Clemson is done. It's only one loss, but it came late, and it came to a Notre Dame team that stinks this year. Plus, what team of note has Clemson beaten?

I think Clemson is done. It's only one loss, but it came late, and it came to a Notre Dame team that stinks this year. Plus, what team of note has Clemson beaten?
Completely agree
The only teams truly in the discussion are
SEC: Georgia, Tennessee, LSU & Ole Miss (maybe Bama but probably not)
Big Ten: Michigan & Ohio State
Big XII: TCU for now
Pac XII: Oregon and USC (UCLA isn't getting in even at 12-1)
ACC: No one
G5: No one
Independents: No one
So--being generous 10 teams are alive.

Not if Tennessee is sitting there at 11-1 when they kicked the shit out of LSU and beat Alabama in OT just like LSU did. I can't imagine a scenario where 11-2 LSU with a win over Bama at home and Georgia in the SEC championship game gets in over Tennessee who beat LSU in Baton Rouge and Alabama with their one loss to Georgia. That FSU loss has to mean something for LSU, or why play out of conference games?

Not if Tennessee is sitting there at 11-1 when they kicked the shit out of LSU and beat Alabama in OT just like LSU did. I can't imagine a scenario where 11-2 LSU with a win over Bama at home and Georgia in the SEC championship game gets in over Tennessee who beat LSU in Baton Rouge and Alabama with their one loss to Georgia. That FSU loss has to mean something for LSU, or why play out of conference games?

That's the 3 SEC team in the playoff scenario. They all get in.

That's the 3 SEC team in the playoff scenario. They all get in.
A 2 loss LSU can only get in if all hell breaks loose.... which would be all teams from the PAC, Big 12, and ACC having at least 2 losses and either Ohio State or Michigan having 2. This would also require LSU beating Georgia in the SEC championship. Never say never...... but it's not likely to happen. A top 4 of Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, and Tennessee is more likely.

Would a one loss Michigan team with only one win over a ranked team really deserve to make a 4 team playoff? (We’ll see about Illinois’ ranking.)

Schedule Colorado State, Hawaii and UCONN as your non-conference foes and you deserve the benefits (3-0 non-conference) and criticisms (weak schedule).

Never said over Tennessee
FSU loss means almost nothing

A 2 loss LSU can only get in if all hell breaks loose.... which would be all teams from the PAC, Big 12, and ACC having at least 2 losses and either Ohio State or Michigan having 2. This would also require LSU beating Georgia in the SEC championship. Never say never...... but it's not likely to happen. A top 4 of Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, and Tennessee is more likely.
That's not true at all. LSU gets in over a 1-loss ACC, Pax XII or Big XII if they beat Georgia. Their biggest issues is Michigan/Ohio State with one loss but not Big Ten title.

Would a one loss Michigan team with only one win over a ranked team really deserve to make a 4 team playoff? (We’ll see about Illinois’ ranking.)

Schedule Colorado State, Hawaii and UCONN as your non-conference foes and you deserve the benefits (3-0 non-conference) and criticisms (weak schedule).
Yeah, probably over the other 1 loss teams. "Eye test" if that Ohio State game is close.

Completely agree
The only teams truly in the discussion are
SEC: Georgia, Tennessee, LSU & Ole Miss (maybe Bama but probably not)
Big Ten: Michigan & Ohio State
Big XII: TCU for now
Pac XII: Oregon and USC (UCLA isn't getting in even at 12-1)
ACC: No one
G5: No one
Independents: No one
So--being generous 10 teams are alive.
Come on man, LSU is not going to the final four. No way they pass up a one loss team. No way the SEC is getting three teams in. You can’t have five major conferences and have only one conference +1 in the four team playoff. My god, LSU nips a one loss Bama and they are a contender. The hype machine at work.

Come on man, LSU is not going to the final four. No way they pass up a one loss team. No way the SEC is getting three teams in. You can’t have five major conferences and have only one conference +1 in the four team playoff. My god, LSU nips a one loss Bama and they are a contender. The hype machine at work.

I'm with you on the hype machine stuff. I thought they prematurely moved LSU up after they beat Ole Miss (I think OM is the lousiest of the 1 loss crew).

However, my thing is this. If LSU beats UGA, it's a sign of a broken system. UGA gets in regardless because they were undefeated (until they aren't). Tennessee gets in and doesn't have to play a ccg. LSU is in an either or situation where the ccg could get them in, but they might win and still be #5/6 because of other losses, even though they are crowned conference champion.

I'm not saying that LSU deserves anything, but this entire eye test thing about who is better is simply lousy.

ADVERTISEMENT