ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN to unveil new direct to customer streaming model

With the Big 10 ditching ESPN after this season, I won't be buying. I guess that means I won't see much of the SEC going forward.

Just like the NFL is streaming a playoff game. Sometime 10 or so years from now, most games will be PPV. So you will be buying a game ticket to watch live at the stadium or you will be paying a game fee to ESPN or Big 10 or NFL to watch the game.

I am sure In the minority but I would rather pay per view of PSU football, basketball and wrestling matches on a per viewing basis and cancel everything else.

Ironically music is going away from the pay per a track format to a subscription fee and it seems tV is going in the other direction.

Just like the NFL is streaming a playoff game. Sometime 10 or so years from now, most games will be PPV. So you will be buying a game ticket to watch live at the stadium or you will be paying a game fee to ESPN or Big 10 or NFL to watch the game.
Or not giving a flying f%$k and not watching. I'm trending in that direction.

Reactions: 84Lion and john4psu
I am sure In the minority but I would rather pay per view of PSU football, basketball and wrestling matches on a per viewing basis and cancel everything else.

Ironically music is going away from the pay per a track format to a subscription fee and it seems tV is going in the other direction.
I agree. With the NFL for example, I am an eagles fan. My entire adult life has been spent out of the Birds home market. My choices to watch most games are buy Sunday Ticket, which is a NO, or go to a bar and spend $40-50. I'd happily spend ~$20 for PPV Eagles..
I do see the flip side though. Many people spend all of sunday watching 3-4 football games. Would those same people PPV 3-4 games a day? probably not.

I agree. With the NFL for example, I am an eagles fan. My entire adult life has been spent out of the Birds home market. My choices to watch most games are buy Sunday Ticket, which is a NO, or go to a bar and spend $40-50. I'd happily spend ~$20 for PPV Eagles..
I do see the flip side though. Many people spend all of sunday watching 3-4 football games. Would those same people PPV 3-4 games a day? probably not.
i think the issue with pure PPV is that overtime the fanbase will dwindle as you will have difficulty growing fans if it is not accessible on 'normal cable channels. but in the short term, there is a lot of money to be made and that is the way some owners will probably want to go.

Reactions: mcpat and heckmans
i think the issue with pure PPV is that overtime the fanbase will dwindle as you will have difficulty growing fans if it is not accessible on 'normal cable channels. but in the short term, there is a lot of money to be made and that is the way some owners will probably want to go.
Agree. A loyal customer will be extremely profitable b/c they‘ll get charged out the wazoo. There will be almost no revenue from casual fans b/c they won’t stumble upon games (ie: I’ll watch playoff NBA, NHL, MLB flipping through the guide, but would never pay to watch)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT