ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Top 25 College Football Players -- Mid-Season Edition

LemonEars

Mar 13, 2010
So the nitwits at ESPN produced their list of the 25 current top players in college football. See link. They ranked Abdul Carter as number 22. They didn't rank Ty Warren!! The only TE ranked was the tight end from fricken Bowling Green. What a joke!

So the nitwits at ESPN produced their list of the 25 current top players in college football. See link. They ranked Abdul Carter as number 22. They didn't rank Ty Warren!! The only TE ranked was the tight end from fricken Bowling Green. What a joke!
Warren will get his accolades--we underutilized him so far this year Fannin has more catches, more yards, a higher average per catch and more TDs. Fannin had huge numbers against us and A&M. Not fair to bash Fannin here...he's earned that level of respect.
If we keep using Warren how we should he'll be seen as the best TE in the nation at the end of the year

ESPN has been medicated with SEC “Financial suppositories “ for several years now. They have a vested interest that creates bias.

Reactions: GSPMax
ESPN has been medicated with SEC “Financial suppositories “ for several years now. They have a vested interest that creates bias.

You nailed it! That's exactly why a Big Ten TE didn't make the list, but one from the SEC powerhouse, Bowling Green, did. Friggin' ESPN. They can't put one past ole jimarnp, though!

17 of the 25 were Big Ten/SEC with the SEC having one more. The top 3 were MWC ACC and Big XII. Where's the SEC bias?

You nailed it! That's exactly why a Big Ten TE didn't make the list, but one from the SEC powerhouse, Bowling Green, did. Friggin' ESPN. They can't put one past ole jimarnp, though!
Not addressing the BG TE vs Warren ( although it is inexplicable that Warren was omitted), was addressing the glaringly apparent vested self interest of ESPN tied directly to their primary audience (SEC). —Direct financial ties are not arguable. Bias pervades financial interest.

I can't help but to notice that NFL draft prognosticators list Allar as the 10th best QB in the country. Would the 10th best QB enter the NFL draft?

I can't help but to notice that NFL draft prognosticators list Allar as the 10th best QB in the country. Would the 10th best QB enter the NFL draft?
Who has him 10th? WalterFootball has him 6th going between rounds 1-3.
Remember this doesn't have a clear cut QB. Each team is going to like a different QB.
Also where you're drafted doesn't really matter now. Just get into the league and get to your second contract.

Warren will get his accolades--we underutilized him so far this year Fannin has more catches, more yards, a higher average per catch and more TDs. Fannin had huge numbers against us and A&M. Not fair to bash Fannin here...he's earned that level of respect.
If we keep using Warren how we should he'll be seen as the best TE in the nation at the end of the year
We asked 100 Penn State fans, Who’s the best tight end in college football so far this year? Our survey said…
The guy from Bowling Green!
Well, actually only one person answered that way.

We asked 100 Penn State fans, Who’s the best tight end in college football so far this year? Our survey said…
Warren is the best TE...he just doesn't have the stats..and as I stated he'll finish the year at the top

This is the problem with people who don't follow college football. You disregard what others do because of your bias. Harold Fannin deserves this kind of acknowledgement for how's he's played especially against us and A&M. The rest of the year will hurt him while Warren is going to shine.

It's a simple concept or should be.

Meanwhile, countless people here have bashed Carter all season and think he needs to move positions because he's been unproductive yet he's on this list.

We even played BGSU and you act like this is an insult as of today

Not addressing the BG TE vs Warren ( although it is inexplicable that Warren was omitted), was addressing the glaringly apparent vested self interest of ESPN tied directly to their primary audience (SEC). —Direct financial ties are not arguable. Bias pervades financial interest.
So, you replied to a post, but you didn't have anything to say about the post ... you just wanted to shout out a general "here's another person/entity who should get off my lawn" post. OK.

Oh, and FYI ... the most productive TE in the nation (6th in the nation in receiving yards) was #23 on the list ... so why would Warren make it when he's 33rd in the nation in receiving yards?

Also FYI ... 9 SEC players made the top 25. 8 Big 10 players made that list. Not exactly evidence of a huge bias in this list ... so why bring it up?

Warren is the best TE...he just doesn't have the stats..and as I stated he'll finish the year at the top

This is the problem with people who don't follow college football. You disregard what others do because of your bias. Harold Fannin deserves this kind of acknowledgement for how's he's played especially against us and A&M. The rest of the year will hurt him while Warren is going to shine.

It's a simple concept or should be.

Meanwhile, countless people here have bashed Carter all season and think he needs to move positions because he's been unproductive yet he's on this list.

We even played BGSU and you act like this is an insult as of today
The only problem here is the fake Penn State fan.

The only problem here is the fake Penn State fan.
But am I a Penn State fan
The difference is I'm a college football fan who roots for Penn State
You're a Penn State fan that largely hates what college football is
And of course you say that to avoid the actual topic--per usual

Dude, you're being unreasonable here. You just want to fight.

I love Warren ... he's going to be a 1st rounder and an absolute stud at the next level.

That doesn't mean he's been the best/most productive TE this year.

So, you replied to a post, but you didn't have anything to say about the post ... you just wanted to shout out a general "here's another person/entity who should get off my lawn" post. OK.

Oh, and FYI ... the most productive TE in the nation (6th in the nation in receiving yards) was #23 on the list ... so why would Warren make it when he's 33rd in the nation in receiving yards?

Also FYI ... 9 SEC players made the top 25. 8 Big 10 players made that list. Not exactly evidence of a huge bias in this list ... so why bring it up?
[/

Whoa, subtherapeutic much? 😂

Kiper ranked him 6th but that was before USC. I told my wife that Allar made himself about $1m Saturday.

I don't agree with Kiper on a lot of stuff. Here is his top ten:

1. Beck, GA (6-4, 22)
  2. Ewers, TX (6-2, 21)
  3. Sanders, CO (6-2, 22)
  4. Ward, Miami (6'2, 22)
  5. Milroe, AL (6'2 21)
  6. Allar, PSU (6-5, 21)
  7. Dart, Ole Miss (6-2, 21)
  8. Smith, Houston (6-5, 21)
  9. Nussmeier, LSU (6-2, 22)
  10. Howard, tOSU (6-4, 23)
Allar is one of the younger QBs but also one of the largest. he came from a smaller HS programs so was probably more premature than many on this list. That is to say he's got a lot of upside. I am not sold on Sanders as I don't know how long he'll stay healthy in the NFL. I think Allar has a much better frame for the NFL. If PSU continues to play well, I think he'll move up to 4ish. He'll also excel at tryouts with his stong arm. Basically, I think Allar has a way to go.

I'd love to see him stay at PSU for his senior year and that may be good for him. He'd almost certainly be a top-3 QB in the 26 draft. And players really make their money on their second contract, not their first. So he'll make several million but if he gets a second contract he'd be in the $100m range. So it would seem that the best approach is to make sure you can hit the NFL running and get that second contract. Also, NIL makes this more reasonable as well.

I think there is a good chance Allar stays, IMHO>

Reactions: bison13 and royboy
Kiper ranked him 6th but that was before USC. I told my wife that Allar made himself about $1m Saturday.

1. Beck, GA (6-4, 22)
  2. Ewers, TX (6-2, 21)
  3. Sanders, CO (6-2, 22)
  4. Ward, Miami (6'2, 22)
  5. Milroe, AL (6'2 21)
  6. Allar, PSU (6-5, 21)
Allar is one of the younger QBs but also one of the largest. he came from a smaller HS programs so was probably more premature than many on this list. That is to say he's got a lot of upside. I am not sold on Sanders as I don't know how long he'll stay healthy in the NFL. I think Allar has a much better frame for the NFL. If PSU continues to play well, I think he'll move up to 4ish. He'll also excel at tryouts with his stong arm. Basically, I think Allar has a way to go.

I'd love to see him stay at PSU for his senior year and that may be good for him. He'd almost certainly be a top-3 QB in the 26 draft. And players really make their money on their second contract, not their first. So he'll make several million but if he gets a second contract he'd be in the $100m range. So it would seem that the best approach is to make sure you can hit the NFL running and get that second contract. Also, NIL makes this more reasonable as well.

Correct--and of all those QB the one that's going to look the best in shorts throwing at a combine is Allar
Also, if Allar comes back next year that class looks better on paper--if Manning enters the draft he's guaranteed to be QB1

Let's say Allar is the consensus 6th rated QB in next year's draft. Would the Steelers take a flyer on him in the 1st round as a long-term answer at QB?

Let's say Allar is the consensus 6th rated QB in next year's draft. Would the Steelers take a flyer on him in the 1st round as a long-term answer at QB?
There's probably 5-6 QBs going to go in the first next year like this year as teams are desperate for QBs--lots of teams
Would the Steelers? Maybe but Tomlin would likely prefer a dual threat QB

Reactions: Ski

1. Beck, GA (6-4, 22)
  2. Ewers, TX (6-2, 21)
  3. Sanders, CO (6-2, 22)
  4. Ward, Miami (6'2, 22)
  5. Milroe, AL (6'2 21)
  6. Allar, PSU (6-5, 21)

If I'm a college QB, and I'm playing the long game for big money down the line, I'm hoping I get drafted in the back half of the 1st, or even 2nd round (by a better team). I want to sit, learn and then get an opportunity behind a better line with better talent around me. Unless you're a just a fish (then it doesn't matter where you go, you're not cutting it), that's how you give yourself the best chance of big money on the 2nd contract, unless you're an absolute super stud QB who can overcome having an inferior team around you right out of the gate.

And, with Allar, I think that's the best route for him. He's a true pocket passer in the NFL. He can't be back there, trying to learn the playbook and get his mechanics down ... while he's scrambling for his life because his line is a sieve and he doesn't have the talent downfield to get open. That's a recipe for disaster.

He's not a total project, like a Joe Milton, who has a bazooka but closes his eyes and throws the ball ... he's got ELITE arm talent and he can make throws ... he just still needs to refine his game so he's completely set back there ... then you give him a decent line and a couple of receivers and watch him flourish.

Last edited:
If I'm a college QB, and I'm playing the long game for big money down the line, I'm hoping I get drafted in the back half of the 1st, or even 2nd round (by a better team). I want to sit, learn and then get an opportunity behind a better line with better talent around me. Unless you're a just a fish (then it doesn't matter where you go, you're not cutting it), that's how you give yourself the best chance of big money on the 2nd contract, unless you're an absolute super stud QB who can overcome having an inferior team around you right out of the gate.

And, with Allar, I think that's the best route for him. He's a true pocket passer in the NFL. He can't be back there, trying to learn the playbook and get his mechanics down ... while he's scrambling for his life because his line is a sieve and he doesn't have the talent downfield to get open. That's a recipe for disaster.

He's not a complete project, like a Joe Milton, who has a bazooka but closes his eyes and throws the ball ... he's got ELITE arm talent and he can make throws ... he just still needs to refine his game so he's completely set back there ... then you give him a decent line and a couple of receivers and watch him flourish.
Good post. Allar is a lot like Trevor Lawrence. Solid pocket passer. Lawrence had to start right away behind a miserable OL and is now being called a failure. Allar would do well to sit behind an aging QB on a good team.

Reactions: Ski

He's not a complete project, like a Joe Milton, who has a bazooka but closes his eyes and throws the ball ... he's got ELITE arm talent and he can make throws ... he just still needs to refine his game so he's completely set back there ... then you give him a decent line and a couple of receivers and watch him flourish.
Agree. I think he has great pre-snap command of the offense. And this offense under AK, is very complex. His weaknesses, so far, is his mobility (he does well in pocket but isn't fast) and his progressions (will come with time). He's a great kid and a very good prospect.

As you say, if given the time to develop, he could be a very good NFL QB. I am not sold on highly mobile NFL QBs. The season is now 17 games with four /five playoff games to win the Super Bowl. It is hard to stay healthy that long running the ball.

With his breakout game against USC, I still don't think we've seen more than 70% of his potential. I don't think we've got great WRs. And he's now on two OCs in two years. With maturity and time to gel, he'll be much better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT