ADVERTISEMENT

Explaining the complexities of the O Line (long) Part I

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Seems a lort of people don't understand OL play. In a poll I took a few months back, 50% of the respondants said they never played any organized football and 30% played just high school. Only 20% played college ball and half of that was small college, leaving just 10% that played major college ball.

I played right guard just in high school, a small one at that, and a long time ago. My career ended with two torn ligaments in my right knee....but to be honest, there was little college demand for a 5' 10" 175 lb lineman. So I have no idea what current big time football is like but I can give some insight.

So your in a huddle and the QB calls for a 36 Blast Reverse G. That means QB fakes the handoff with his right hand to the tailback going to the left of center and then gives the ball with his left hand to the slot back, who had lined up on the left end, as he cuts behind the line and then turns up between the rt tackle and the rt tight end in a short reverse play.

As you leave the huddle you see how the D is lined up and you figure your blocking assignment. The center will usually make a blocking call. As you get down in your stance, the QB sees a weakness in the D and calls an audible. That changes all the blocking and the linemen call out new assignments. Just then, the D shifts and new blocking assignments are made again, just before the snap.. Thats three blocking schemes in a couple seconds and every one has to know each.

To do all of that takes smarts, experience, practice, and faith in each other. And thats just a small part of it. Say your assigned to block the linebacker. You see where he is lined up but he won't be there when you get there You must know how your backfield is moving and how the LB will react to movement, fake handoffs, or a QB pump fake. If the backs start left he will move that direction. You must move into a position to where he is going to be, not where he starts. And if he blitzes or the D has a stunt on, the blocking assignment will change, for the fourth time, as the play unfolds.

Watch the famous Mauti hold against the Buckeyes a couple years back. and watch our middle LB. The left guard is assigned to block him and fires out to hit him where the LB lined up. But the middle LB blitzes forward and the LG missed. He then stuck out his arm and hooked the LB. Thus a lineman needs to know his assigned block, how the backfield is moving, and how the D man will react......and do that knowing what each other lineman is doing.

It takes tons of experience and practice to do this at full speed as it needs to be done instinctively. If you need to think about your assignment, or what the backfield is doing, or what the guy next to you is doing, that will make you about half a step slow. And a half a step is enough to miss a block since at full speed, a half step is about three feet. While your are thinking, your opponent is reacting.

This is what a player means when he is 'in the zone.' He means his body just took over and flowed and reacted without thinking. Its all instinct and training Thats also what happens when the game 'slows down.' Its suddenly not a mad rush of bodies flying around but seems like a slower, normal speed liking walking down a crowded sidewalk.

Again, I played just high school a long time ago. I am positive it is way more complicated now in major college ball and I welcome other input. End of Part I. If that helped, read Part II

Might want to add a formation call ,shift ,motion call plus a snap count

Go like this. Huddle call = rob to left pro zip 49sweep,38 toss automatic on one
Now on the huddle break line up w Y & X to the right (rob) in the I formation then a shift w Y going to the left, X steps up Z on the left steps back the TB shifts from the I to a hb position behind the tackle. Z takes a short motion to the ball. At this point we still don't know if we will run a sweep to the left or a toss w the fb to the right.
QB yells set go, set go, yet no one moves. Although the snap count is on 1 it doesn't start until the color is called. At this point the zip motion starts. This helps give the QB a pre snap read of man or zone. He sees man. And sees a blitz. So now he yells "black 61 black 61. ". Set go. Yet no one moves yet as black is the live color and a check was made to a quick pass outside (61) as an audible , the snap count changed to two so the qb yells set go, which begins the play. Now the ol had to change from a snap count of on one to two . Plus change from an outside run to a quick pass

Just one example

Re: Might want to add a formation call ,shift ,motion call plus a snap count

See. I knew modern ball was way more complicated then when I played. Thanks sluggo72

I played single wing wearing a leather helmet. That was only 50 years ago. We called cross blocks by calling out states starting with the letter "c". The center called "Kansas" and half the line cross blocked and the other half didn't.

LOL!!! I believe you!!, FWIW they are still playing single wing, just call

it the spread now!!!

Meister...great post and so nice to be talking football again instead of so much of the other suff on the board anymore. Like most, my football experience is limited to being a junior high tailback/safety. We played both ways in the 1960s.

Anyway, my son played football for only two years. At the end of his sophomore year, he was throwing shot put when his coach saw him. He was 6' 4" and 270 pounds back then. His coach convinced him to try football, and he sat the bench his junior year and learned to play on the line. He was ready to start his senior year for a very successful Chicago area prep school, when he got mono and was not allowed to play. He started the last two games of his senior year, and he was done...until Penn came through Chicago on a recruiting trip.

By the end of his senior year, he was 6' 6" and because of the mono, he was only 250 lbs. The Penn recruiter said they liked lean kids upon whom they could build muscle. He ended up lettering twice with two Ivy Championship teams as a 300 lb offensive tackle. One thing that coaches can't teach is size. He wasn't a starter. Just like in high school, he started only two games in college. I was once told that he isn't the greatest athlete in the world, but that he was a very smart football player. He's now in law school at UVa so he's a hell of a lot smarter than me. Must be his mom.

All of this is a long winded way of getting to Meister's original post. I'm sitting here looking at my kid's Offensive Line Player's Manual. His old line coach had coached as a grad assistant at Iowa, and preached that "execution is more important than plays." The manual's cover lists (1) what to do, (2) how to do it, (3) awareness, and (4) communication as the keys to line play. The rest of the book is really beyond my understanding. An example of one instruction on a page titled Mid Zone Fundamental Scheme, a Wide Reach Seal calls for "BSY + BST vs Pro, Hip, Loose look with #2 and #3." What the heck?! There are hundreds of lines like this. They use many words that I know, but the combination of words is something that has to be learned over a period of time. Now when I watch a game, I tend to watch so much more of the line play, and I always notice #77.

The best qb or rb in the world can only be very successful behind a line that can do its job. Linemen don't have to be great athletes, but they have to be in position to make the right play at the right time. I have a good feeling about this year's Penn State line play, and that could mean a pretty successful year. But I'll still wear my lucky shirt during every game.

Thanks all you guys. NOW - this reads like a FB board.

Spin, are you saying "talent" can be replaced by understanding and experience? I don't think that is working so well for the BB team. No amount of coaching can give you strength, balance and foot quickness. Can it get the best "you are capable of" ? I would hope so. In my opinion, we lack overall OL talent. We may be better than last year - due to experience and "physical growth". If we look at OSU last year. Their "young" OL had 7 of the players on the two deep with at least 3 years in the program, young ???

I do have hope for this year's group, but we will have to wait and see. It would not be good for our program to rush another group into the fire. As you know OL development takes years. Franklin WILL get us there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT