ADVERTISEMENT

Extreme gratitude thread....

billrag

Jan 25, 2011
I have to avoid this board during the tournaments because I don't handle all of the negative "sky is falling" BS. Some people come around once a year to whine about how rotten the team is and some who are here all year can't help themselves. Clearly some also don't understand how the scoring works and are too quick to presume that our goose is cooked. I guess I'm far too positive in general, because even had we gotten our hats handed to us this weekend, I still would have enjoyed the wrestling and would have been extremely grateful for the kind of kids that PSU has on the squad, not to mention the quality coaches. Not only are they good wrestlers, but they're even better people. It's hard not to see the interviews from the PSU wrestlers and to feel extremely grateful for their composure, their energy and their work levels. Likewise, we simply have the best coaches in the business. Great tacticians and teachers, but also low-keyed, humble and worthy of respect in every way.

While I'm definitely a glass half-full guy, I still always worry even after seeing the explanations of how the math plays out, so I'll be a bit nervous this morning for the squad, but even after the title is locked for PSU, I'll still feel for the guys who are on pins and needles waiting for their upcoming matches and I'll feel simply horrible should any of the 5 lose in the finals tonight (and statistically speaking, one or more probably should). Good luck to Kerk in the consi semis and finals this morning as well.

We're quite simply a bunch of lucky bastards to be able to watch this all play out and to quietly reflect that "this is MY team".

Just such a great, great team and so worthy of our appreciation, win or lose today. I mean, what PSU wrestling fan who's older than about 40 doesn't recognize that this is really an unprecedented period for the wrestling program? And what wrestling fan (even those who are not PSU fans for whatever weird reason) doesn't recognize that Cael Sanderson has most certainly established one of the very greatest dynasties in all of sports history? Maybe not the greatest (yet), but it's not crazy to speak in terms of top 5 sport dynasties, etc..

I’m with you. I feel for Drew and Brady especially in that they came back with this opportunity in mind and I’m sure are disappointed, but even in that they have showed nothing but class, respect and sportsmanship. With the PSU superteams we’ve seen recently, I didn’t think we’d still be here with 5 in the finals at this point… man are we fortunate to be fans of this program!

I’m with you. I feel for Drew and Brady especially in that they came back with this opportunity in mind and I’m sure are disappointed, but even in that they have showed nothing but class, respect and sportsmanship. With the PSU superteams we’ve seen recently, I didn’t think we’d still be here with 5 in the finals at this point… man are we fortunate to be fans of this program!
Hopefully Drew and Brady will be part of the national championship team. Also they were an integral part of all the regular season matches. Proud of these young men.

Hopefully Drew and Brady will be part of the national championship team. Also they were an integral part of all the regular season matches. Proud of these young men.
Plus all 9 scored points this year. While I'm sure it's not as many as they would have liked in their last go, that has to make them feel better. Couple dominoes fall the other way and that may end up being the margin of victory.

I have to avoid this board during the tournaments because I don't handle all of the negative "sky is falling" BS. Some people come around once a year to whine about how rotten the team is and some who are here all year can't help themselves. Clearly some also don't understand how the scoring works and are too quick to presume that our goose is cooked. I guess I'm far too positive in general, because even had we gotten our hats handed to us this weekend, I still would have enjoyed the wrestling and would have been extremely grateful for the kind of kids that PSU has on the squad, not to mention the quality coaches. Not only are they good wrestlers, but they're even better people. It's hard not to see the interviews from the PSU wrestlers and to feel extremely grateful for their composure, their energy and their work levels. Likewise, we simply have the best coaches in the business. Great tacticians and teachers, but also low-keyed, humble and worthy of respect in every way.

While I'm definitely a glass half-full guy, I still always worry even after seeing the explanations of how the math plays out, so I'll be a bit nervous this morning for the squad, but even after the title is locked for PSU, I'll still feel for the guys who are on pins and needles waiting for their upcoming matches and I'll feel simply horrible should any of the 5 lose in the finals tonight (and statistically speaking, one or more probably should). Good luck to Kerk in the consi semis and finals this morning as well.

We're quite simply a bunch of lucky bastards to be able to watch this all play out and to quietly reflect that "this is MY team".

Just such a great, great team and so worthy of our appreciation, win or lose today. I mean, what PSU wrestling fan who's older than about 40 doesn't recognize that this is really an unprecedented period for the wrestling program? And what wrestling fan (even those who are not PSU fans for whatever weird reason) doesn't recognize that Cael Sanderson has most certainly established one of the very greatest dynasties in all of sports history? Maybe not the greatest (yet), but it's not crazy to speak in terms of top 5 sport dynasties, etc..
Agree 100%. I had a great dinner at the Statler and was walking over to LCA in a thundering rain storm last evening when I wondered aloud to my compatriots: “Just how much longer can this crazy streak of semi-finals wins continue? Is this the day that we revert to mean?” Moments later the Detroit sky let forth with a long roll of Thunder. I guess that was the answer! 90% win percentage in semis since 2011. UNREAL! Grateful to be connected in a small way to Cael’s masterpiece? Words are inadequate to explain how a PSU fan feels striding city streets in the late evening of “moving day”.

Agree 100%. I had a great dinner at the Statler and was walking over to LCA in a thundering rain storm last evening when I wondered aloud to my compatriots: “Just how much longer can this crazy streak of semi-finals wins continue? Is this the day that we revert to mean?” Moments later the Detroit sky let forth with a long roll of Thunder. I guess that was the answer! 90% win percentage in semis since 2011. UNREAL! Grateful to be connected in a small way to Cael’s masterpiece? Words are inadequate to explain how a PSU fan feels striding city streets in the late evening of “moving day”.
Cael's Semi percentage is so good, it actually went down this year w/ us going 5-1. (was 90.9%, now it's just 90%). I'm gonna give Greg a pass on this one though--he was ready for a beast, and will get his 🔜

Grateful here. Has to be tough looking in from another fan base with doubt creeping in on the party line that Cael’s gang just gets lucky in March.

Reactions: Creek Side
My only regret of the Drew Hildebrandt era is that we didn’t get more Sarah…
We have to consider that bringing Drew to State College May very well have had more than one purpose. If the Lorenzo practice facility received just a few modifications, we might see Sarah coaching for our future women’s team.

Reactions: dsites52
as far as the semis go iowa will say all the wrestlers that PSU beat sucked! or they cheated to win!!

The best thing for me is all the guys who won last year in front of cameras and a few fans got to do it this year in front of a packed house. They deserved to hear the roar of the crowd
And for our repeat guys the double whammy of taking the team title and wrestling in front of the crowd must have made it all 100x the experience.

ADVERTISEMENT